5.5 soon?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

5.5 soon?

Kalle Korhonen-2
There are quite a few things in the master now that would be useful for me.
I was going to finish up what is assigned for me and create an issue for
upgrading Hibernate (5.2 is Java 8 only) but turns out I cannot create JIRA
issues anymore (I suppose because of the recent JIRA lockdown). Oh well,
I'll do without an issue. Anybody else thinking about anything critical for
5.5?

Kalle
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

bobharner
Not critical, but I finished changes for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2539 a while ago and just need
to add tests. But if you're motivated to do a 5.5 release before I commit,
that's perfectly fine.

Previously, Howard had said the following about Tapestry 5.5. I mention
these in case someone thinks they are important to address now (I don't)...

1. "Prototype will no longer be bundled with Tapestry starting in Tapestry
5.5."

2. "Virtually all of Tapestry's existing JavaScript libraries are being
recoded as JavaScript modules; in 5.5, the remaining JavaScript libraries
will be removed."

3. "Only a limited number of properties exported in
the T5 and Tapestry namespaces (on the client) still exist; enough to
continue to support the T5.initializers approach to page initialization
that was used in Tapestry 5.3 and earlier. These will be eliminated
entirely in Tapestry 5.5."

4. "ValidationDecoratorFactory are deprecated in 5.4 and will be removed in
5.5"

5. ClientBehaviorSupport ... "the service and interface will be removed in
5.5."

6. "In Tapestry 5.5, support for classpath assets *not* under
META-INF/assets will
be removed."
On Jul 8, 2016 4:21 PM, "Kalle Korhonen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are quite a few things in the master now that would be useful for me.
> I was going to finish up what is assigned for me and create an issue for
> upgrading Hibernate (5.2 is Java 8 only) but turns out I cannot create JIRA
> issues anymore (I suppose because of the recent JIRA lockdown). Oh well,
> I'll do without an issue. Anybody else thinking about anything critical for
> 5.5?
>
> Kalle
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:33:24 -0300, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not critical, but I finished changes for
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2539 a while ago and just need
> to add tests. But if you're motivated to do a 5.5 release before I  
> commit, that's perfectly fine.

The sooner, the better. :) There are a couple things I'd like to do in  
5.4.x for a long time but I haven't had a chance, but we can release a new  
version of it after 5.5 is out, of course merging the implementation in  
5.5.

> Previously, Howard had said the following about Tapestry 5.5. I mention
> these in case someone thinks they are important to address now (I  
> don't)...

Me too.

> 1. "Prototype will no longer be bundled with Tapestry starting in  
> Tapestry
> 5.5."

If we do that, I'd still like for us to keep the JS framework abstraction  
layer. Maybe we can make a vanilla JS implementation of it in the future  
to be an option to jQuery. In addition, I don't see the point of removing  
what isn't broken.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer
http://machina.com.br

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

Jochen Kemnade-3
In reply to this post by Kalle Korhonen-2
I'd appreciate some feedback on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2548

Am 08.07.2016 um 22:21 schrieb Kalle Korhonen:
> There are quite a few things in the master now that would be useful for me.
> I was going to finish up what is assigned for me and create an issue for
> upgrading Hibernate (5.2 is Java 8 only) but turns out I cannot create JIRA
> issues anymore (I suppose because of the recent JIRA lockdown). Oh well,
> I'll do without an issue. Anybody else thinking about anything critical for
> 5.5?
>
> Kalle
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

Jochen Kemnade-3
In reply to this post by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Hi,

----- On Jul 12, 2016, at 12:20 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email] wrote:
>> 1. "Prototype will no longer be bundled with Tapestry starting in
>> Tapestry
>> 5.5."
>
> If we do that, I'd still like for us to keep the JS framework abstraction
> layer. Maybe we can make a vanilla JS implementation of it in the future
> to be an option to jQuery. In addition, I don't see the point of removing
> what isn't broken.

+1 to all of that.
On a side note, should we default to the jQuery infrastructure for 5.5?

Jochen

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 02:30:14 -0300, Jochen Kemnade  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to all of that.

;)

> On a side note, should we default to the jQuery infrastructure for 5.5?

Hmm, current Prototype-based projects would just stop working out of a  
sudden. I'm not a fan of changing defaults. On the other hand, we could  
make quickstart-generated projects have them using jQuery and also make a  
big note of this configuration in the documentation, including the  
tutorial. But I don't have a strong opinion on the subject.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer
http://machina.com.br

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

robertdzeigler
I’m in favor of a transition release where we warn with the big bright warnings that in the next release, we’ll be switching to the jQuery infrastructure by default.  I would also suggest adding a means of determining whether people are using the out-of-the-box prototype configuration and adding a runtime warning for those cases as an additional way of indicating “Hey, you need to add this configuration in 5.5 so your app won’t break in 5.6”.  

Robert

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 8:13 AM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 02:30:14 -0300, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 to all of that.
>
> ;)
>
>> On a side note, should we default to the jQuery infrastructure for 5.5?
>
> Hmm, current Prototype-based projects would just stop working out of a sudden. I'm not a fan of changing defaults. On the other hand, we could make quickstart-generated projects have them using jQuery and also make a big note of this configuration in the documentation, including the tutorial. But I don't have a strong opinion on the subject.
>
> --
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer
> http://machina.com.br
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 5.5 soon?

Andreas Ernst
Am 14.07.16 um 15:33 schrieb Robert Zeigler:
> I’m in favor of a transition release where we warn with the big bright warnings that in the next release, we’ll be switching to the jQuery infrastructure by default.  I would also suggest adding a means of determining whether people are using the out-of-the-box prototype configuration and adding a runtime warning for those cases as an additional way of indicating “Hey, you need to add this configuration in 5.5 so your app won’t break in 5.6”.

+1 for that.

--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich
Schupbacher Str. 32, 65614 Beselich, Germany
Tel: +49-6484-91002 Fax: +49-6484-91003
[hidden email] | www.ae-online.de
www.tachyon-online.de

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]