[ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

12

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

bobharner
The Apache Tapestry developers are proud to announce that Tapestry 5.4,
a long-awaited major release, is now available for immediate download:

    http://tapestry.apache.org/download

Tapestry 5.4 represents a tremendous effort by a large number of
people, and includes almost 200 enhancements and over 300 bug fixes.
Full details are in the release notes, but here are a few highlights:

* A JavaScript abstraction layer that removes Tapestry's dependence
on Prototype and lets you swap in jQuery (or potentially other
JavaScript framewords) instead.

* JavaScript modules based on RequireJS

* A new module, tapestry-webresources, which provides support for
automatically compiling CoffeeScript into JavaScript and Less into
CSS, and for minimizing CSS and JavaScript. And, best of all, this
processing takes place at runtime.

* Greatly improved asset caching based on the checksums of file
contents, to intelligently cache assets like images and CSS only
until their content changes.

* The adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS styling by default, with built-in
glyphicon support.

... and many dozens of other significant changes.

Despite all the changes, Tapestry 5.4 is still mostly a drop-in replacement
for
5.3 users, with the caveat that the adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS may require
some
CSS tweaks if you're not already using Bootstrap 3.

Please see https://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html for a full
list of
changes and upgrade instructions.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Alex Kotchnev-2
Pretty epic, congrats to all who contributed and participated ! Most
notably, this seems like the first Tapestry release that was not headed by
Howard (of course, I don't have any stats to back that up).

Cheers - Alex K

JT

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

JT
Worst release ever.
On Dec 23, 2015 2:48 AM, "Bob Harner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Apache Tapestry developers are proud to announce that Tapestry 5.4,
> a long-awaited major release, is now available for immediate download:
>
>     http://tapestry.apache.org/download
>
> Tapestry 5.4 represents a tremendous effort by a large number of
> people, and includes almost 200 enhancements and over 300 bug fixes.
> Full details are in the release notes, but here are a few highlights:
>
> * A JavaScript abstraction layer that removes Tapestry's dependence
> on Prototype and lets you swap in jQuery (or potentially other
> JavaScript framewords) instead.
>
> * JavaScript modules based on RequireJS
>
> * A new module, tapestry-webresources, which provides support for
> automatically compiling CoffeeScript into JavaScript and Less into
> CSS, and for minimizing CSS and JavaScript. And, best of all, this
> processing takes place at runtime.
>
> * Greatly improved asset caching based on the checksums of file
> contents, to intelligently cache assets like images and CSS only
> until their content changes.
>
> * The adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS styling by default, with built-in
> glyphicon support.
>
> ... and many dozens of other significant changes.
>
> Despite all the changes, Tapestry 5.4 is still mostly a drop-in replacement
> for
> 5.3 users, with the caveat that the adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS may require
> some
> CSS tweaks if you're not already using Bootstrap 3.
>
> Please see https://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html for a full
> list of
> changes and upgrade instructions.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Alex Kotchnev-2
JT - why do you say that ? Did you have concerns with the release that were
not addressed ? Is it the features in the release ?

In any case, it would be useful to have some further details.

Cheers - Alex K

JT

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

JT
No concerns. Just my two cents opinion. But does this release support all
platform that 5.3.x support?
On Dec 24, 2015 9:58 PM, "Alex Kotchnev" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> JT - why do you say that ? Did you have concerns with the release that were
> not addressed ? Is it the features in the release ?
>
> In any case, it would be useful to have some further details.
>
> Cheers - Alex K
>
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 1:43 PM, JT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Worst release ever.
> > On Dec 23, 2015 2:48 AM, "Bob Harner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > The Apache Tapestry developers are proud to announce that Tapestry 5.4,
> > > a long-awaited major release, is now available for immediate download:
> > >
> > >     http://tapestry.apache.org/download
> > >
> > > Tapestry 5.4 represents a tremendous effort by a large number of
> > > people, and includes almost 200 enhancements and over 300 bug fixes.
> > > Full details are in the release notes, but here are a few highlights:
> > >
> > > * A JavaScript abstraction layer that removes Tapestry's dependence
> > > on Prototype and lets you swap in jQuery (or potentially other
> > > JavaScript framewords) instead.
> > >
> > > * JavaScript modules based on RequireJS
> > >
> > > * A new module, tapestry-webresources, which provides support for
> > > automatically compiling CoffeeScript into JavaScript and Less into
> > > CSS, and for minimizing CSS and JavaScript. And, best of all, this
> > > processing takes place at runtime.
> > >
> > > * Greatly improved asset caching based on the checksums of file
> > > contents, to intelligently cache assets like images and CSS only
> > > until their content changes.
> > >
> > > * The adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS styling by default, with built-in
> > > glyphicon support.
> > >
> > > ... and many dozens of other significant changes.
> > >
> > > Despite all the changes, Tapestry 5.4 is still mostly a drop-in
> > replacement
> > > for
> > > 5.3 users, with the caveat that the adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS may
> > require
> > > some
> > > CSS tweaks if you're not already using Bootstrap 3.
> > >
> > > Please see https://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html for a
> full
> > > list of
> > > changes and upgrade instructions.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Carlos Montero Canabal
Hi Tapestry team.

I have to give us the congratulations for the release. I’m working with tapestry from the Tapestry 5.1.0.5 version. This 5.4 release is a big change (javascript) and I have to learn a lot of interesting new concepts.  Thank you so much and keep up the good work.

Carlos Montero

> El 24/12/2015, a las 22:02, JT <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> No concerns. Just my two cents opinion. But does this release support all
> platform that 5.3.x support?

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Svein-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Kalle Korhonen-2
No, T5.4 was still firmly headed by Howard. He created the first T5.4
branch over three years (see for example
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2012/10/zeroing-in-on-tapestry-54.html)
and you can see the results of his mastermind everywhere in the T5.4 code.
I guess you could say it was the first release not finished by Howard.

Kalle

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Alex Kotchnev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pretty epic, congrats to all who contributed and participated ! Most
> notably, this seems like the first Tapestry release that was not headed by
> Howard (of course, I don't have any stats to back that up).
>
> Cheers - Alex K
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The Apache Tapestry developers are proud to announce that Tapestry 5.4,
> > a long-awaited major release, is now available for immediate download:
> >
> >     http://tapestry.apache.org/download
> >
> > Tapestry 5.4 represents a tremendous effort by a large number of
> > people, and includes almost 200 enhancements and over 300 bug fixes.
> > Full details are in the release notes, but here are a few highlights:
> >
> > * A JavaScript abstraction layer that removes Tapestry's dependence
> > on Prototype and lets you swap in jQuery (or potentially other
> > JavaScript framewords) instead.
> >
> > * JavaScript modules based on RequireJS
> >
> > * A new module, tapestry-webresources, which provides support for
> > automatically compiling CoffeeScript into JavaScript and Less into
> > CSS, and for minimizing CSS and JavaScript. And, best of all, this
> > processing takes place at runtime.
> >
> > * Greatly improved asset caching based on the checksums of file
> > contents, to intelligently cache assets like images and CSS only
> > until their content changes.
> >
> > * The adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS styling by default, with built-in
> > glyphicon support.
> >
> > ... and many dozens of other significant changes.
> >
> > Despite all the changes, Tapestry 5.4 is still mostly a drop-in
> replacement
> > for
> > 5.3 users, with the caveat that the adoption of Bootstrap 3 CSS may
> require
> > some
> > CSS tweaks if you're not already using Bootstrap 3.
> >
> > Please see https://tapestry.apache.org/release-notes-54.html for a full
> > list of
> > changes and upgrade instructions.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

trsvax
Finished is important.

Thanks

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 19:02:33 -0200, JT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No concerns. Just my two cents opinion.

With no details at all, I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to do
by providing this opinion. It's just like me saying "JT sucks" (just an
example, I don't know you, so I don't have an opinion about you) and
stopping at that.

> But does this release support all platform that 5.3.x support?

Yes. What do you mean by 'platform'?

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 12:28:21 -0200, Barry Books <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Finished is important.

Indeed. In addition, I think we could say this was the release in which
non-Howard committers have done the most work so far.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

based2
Hi,

I noticed that the 'Tapestry 5.4 Announce' is not available on Apache
www-announce mailing list.

The Apache News Round-up: week ending 8 January 2016:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201601.mbox/browser

https://blogs.apache.org/
https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/search?q=tapestry

regards,
Basile

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Ilya Obshadko-2
Just tried to switch to 5.4 release from 5.4-beta6 (which I've been using
for over a year).

At least AJAX forms are seriously broken.

The most critical issue is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2391
(which is marked as 'Solved', but actually far from being solved).

There's a number of other glitches, but this one is the worst. Setting
*simpleIds* to true for zones doesn't help much, as this results in other
problems in complex forms.

Are there any other workarounds?

Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

JumpStart
Are you sure it’s 5.4.0? I’m running 5.4.0 in JumpStart

        http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/

Can you point to the problem there?

Also, in a production site I’m running its last predecessor, 5.4-beta-35, with AJAX Forms and Zones throughout without a problem.

Can you be more specific?

Geoff

> On 11 Feb 2016, at 4:42 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just tried to switch to 5.4 release from 5.4-beta6 (which I've been using
> for over a year).
>
> At least AJAX forms are seriously broken.
>
> The most critical issue is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2391
> (which is marked as 'Solved', but actually far from being solved).
>
> There's a number of other glitches, but this one is the worst. Setting
> *simpleIds* to true for zones doesn't help much, as this results in other
> problems in complex forms.
>
> Are there any other workarounds?
>

> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Basile Chandesris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that the 'Tapestry 5.4 Announce' is not available on Apache
>> www-announce mailing list.
>>

>> The Apache News Round-up: week ending 8 January 2016:
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201601.mbox/browser
>>
>> https://blogs.apache.org/
>> https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/search?q=tapestry
>>
>> regards,
>> Basile
>>

> --
> Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Ilya Obshadko-2
I'll try to gather more evidence.

From the first glance, validation messages don't show up at all without
setting *simpleIds=true* (as per TAP-2391). Setting *simpleIds=true* helps
to fix this for simple forms, but completely breaks more complex ones (when
validated fields are inside AjaxFormLoop, for example).

Looks like something was also changed in the way AjaxFormLoop submission is
processed, and now I'm getting NPEs in places that work just fine on beta6.

Also, there are occasional Bootstrap JS errors (something like 'popover.js
requires tooltip.js to work'; needless to say that both are loaded).

Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Ilya Obshadko-2
Just found another issue: it throws validation errors for a form fragment
that's hidden during form submission:
https://monosnap.com/file/t9Hh48KeLUOBIha8PLPvGrOu29TUnn.png

This is very frustrating. All complex things that were working out of the
box now seem to be broken in unexpected places.

Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

JumpStart
How does your code differ from JumpStart’s Wizard Using Form Fragments example?

        http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/examples/wizard/usingformfragments/$N/$N

Geoff

> On 11 Feb 2016, at 10:55 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just found another issue: it throws validation errors for a form fragment
> that's hidden during form submission:
> https://monosnap.com/file/t9Hh48KeLUOBIha8PLPvGrOu29TUnn.png
>
> This is very frustrating. All complex things that were working out of the
> box now seem to be broken in unexpected places.
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll try to gather more evidence.
>>
>> From the first glance, validation messages don't show up at all without
>> setting *simpleIds=true* (as per TAP-2391). Setting *simpleIds=true*
>> helps to fix this for simple forms, but completely breaks more complex ones
>> (when validated fields are inside AjaxFormLoop, for example).
>>
>> Looks like something was also changed in the way AjaxFormLoop submission
>> is processed, and now I'm getting NPEs in places that work just fine on
>> beta6.
>>
>> Also, there are occasional Bootstrap JS errors (something like 'popover.js
>> requires tooltip.js to work'; needless to say that both are loaded).
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM, JumpStart <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Are you sure it’s 5.4.0? I’m running 5.4.0 in JumpStart
>>>
>>>        http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/
>>>
>>> Can you point to the problem there?
>>>
>>> Also, in a production site I’m running its last predecessor, 5.4-beta-35,
>>> with AJAX Forms and Zones throughout without a problem.
>>>
>>> Can you be more specific?
>>>
>>> Geoff

>>> using

>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2391

>>> other

>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201601.mbox/browser

>> Ilya Obshadko
>>

> --
> Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Ilya Obshadko-2
FormFragments are inside a loop.

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM, JumpStart <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does your code differ from JumpStart’s Wizard Using Form Fragments
> example?
>

> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/examples/wizard/usingformfragments/$N/$N
>
> Geoff
>
> > On 11 Feb 2016, at 10:55 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Just found another issue: it throws validation errors for a form fragment
> > that's hidden during form submission:
> > https://monosnap.com/file/t9Hh48KeLUOBIha8PLPvGrOu29TUnn.png
> >
> > This is very frustrating. All complex things that were working out of the
> > box now seem to be broken in unexpected places.
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'll try to gather more evidence.
> >>
> >> From the first glance, validation messages don't show up at all without
> >> setting *simpleIds=true* (as per TAP-2391). Setting *simpleIds=true*
> >> helps to fix this for simple forms, but completely breaks more complex
> ones
> >> (when validated fields are inside AjaxFormLoop, for example).
> >>
> >> Looks like something was also changed in the way AjaxFormLoop submission
> >> is processed, and now I'm getting NPEs in places that work just fine on
> >> beta6.
> >>
> >> Also, there are occasional Bootstrap JS errors (something like
> 'popover.js
> >> requires tooltip.js to work'; needless to say that both are loaded).

> 5.4-beta-35,

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201601.mbox/browser

> >> --
> >> Ilya Obshadko
> >>

> > --
> > Ilya Obshadko

Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Emmanuel Sowah
Folks,

This is why you should drop Tapestry ASAP, and head to a more serious and
state of the art frameworks. Tapestry is meant for POCs and prototypes that
you plan to throw away. Even Howard doesn't use Tapestry anymore. He uses
Wicket. Tapestry is just a joke.

Cheers

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> FormFragments are inside a loop.
>
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 5:12 PM, JumpStart <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How does your code differ from JumpStart’s Wizard Using Form Fragments
> > example?
> >

> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/examples/wizard/usingformfragments/$N/$N
> >
> > Geoff
> >
> > > On 11 Feb 2016, at 10:55 PM, Ilya Obshadko <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Just found another issue: it throws validation errors for a form
> fragment
> > > that's hidden during form submission:
> > > https://monosnap.com/file/t9Hh48KeLUOBIha8PLPvGrOu29TUnn.png
> > >
> > > This is very frustrating. All complex things that were working out of
> the
> > > box now seem to be broken in unexpected places.
> > >
> > > On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Ilya Obshadko <
> [hidden email]>

> without
> > ones

> submission
> on

> > 'popover.js

> > 5.4-beta-35,

> Setting

> Apache

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-announce/201601.mbox/browser

> > > --
> > > Ilya Obshadko

> Ilya Obshadko

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Tapestry 5.4

Ilya Obshadko-2
I've been using Tapestry actively since version 5.0 and still think it's on
of the best in terms of overall design and approach.

However latest updates (since 5.4-beta22 I guess) is a total mess. I was
hoping that final release should clean up things, but apparently that
didn't happen. I have to stick to 5.4-beta6 for now - I use it in
production for over a year and it doesn't have any major issues.

--
Ilya Obshadko
12