Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

Howard Lewis Ship
Getting very close to a beta ...

This release fixes a latent bug in the jQuery event support that would
manifest as forms with input validations getting submitted via a LinkSubmit,
and perhaps other ways.

I've hopefully fixed a bug that affects Windows/Eclipse users, where the
application will not deploy correctly after editing a CoffeeScript source.

The way RequireJS is configured and loaded has been refactored; the new
approach works correctly when jQuery is the infrastructure provider, and
JavaScript Aggregation is enabled.  In addition, the core JavaScript stack
now includes RequireJS, Prototype and/or jQuery, and the majority of the
frequently used t5/core modules. That's really terrific for production, as
a single cachable request will get nearly all the JavaScript for a site
 ... and don't forget you can make further contributions to the core
JavaScriptStack to add your site-specific libraries and modules!

Upgrading from prior alpha previews:

The client-side ElementWrapper's attribute() method has been renamed to
attr(), to align better with jQuery. We may see just a little bit more of
that before the beta. Sorry for the pain.

Tapestry preview releases are  available via Maven, from the Apache Staging
repository:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

George Christman
Thanks Howard, it looks like this release fixed this issue.

--
George Christman
www.CarDaddy.com
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

llama-king
Also seeing a number of other strange client-side issues just go away. :)

Thanks again for all the hard work!

--
George Christman
www.CarDaddy.com
Johnstown, New York

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

Howard Lewis Ship
Yes, there was a bit of a race condition going on ... RequireJS was
attempting to resolve modules before it was configured, and this was made
more noticable lately with the work to move RequireJS, Underscore,
Prototype, jQuery, etc., into the core stack (which makes aggregation much
more efficient).

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Peter Hvass <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also seeing a number of other strange client-side issues just go away. :)
>

> Thanks again for all the hard work!

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Apache Tapestry 5.4-alpha-28 preview release

Emmanuel Sowah
And while here, Mr. Ship, I want to congratulate you on your recent moves
on Wicket. Except that I'm unhappy you're not being honest about it to your
cult members. I hope you one day develop some courage and face up to your
cult members about your using of Wicket on your clients projects.

Cheers,
Emmanuel

PS: Are shaving machines so expensive at where you live? You need to do
something about that beard. The last time I saw you live, you were looking
very much like the deceased Iraqi dictator Saddam Hoessein.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, there was a bit of a race condition going on ... RequireJS was
> attempting to resolve modules before it was configured, and this was made
> more noticable lately with the work to move RequireJS, Underscore,
> Prototype, jQuery, etc., into the core stack (which makes aggregation much
> more efficient).
>

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Peter Hvass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Also seeing a number of other strange client-side issues just go away. :)
> >

> > Thanks again for all the hard work!

Oh, I didn't mention this before, but the recent changes also include
Underscore in the core stack; I'm seeing on a client project that the
initial page load downloads a 60K gzipped payload that expands into 208KB
of JavaScript: RequireJS, Underscore, jQuery, and a selection of the
t5/core modules.

This is with tapestry-webresources in play, minimizing the final JS payload
(before it is gzipped).

Of course, the exact numbers will vary depending on your infrastructure
provider ("prototype" vs. "jquery"), and other factors. There's a lot of
room for tuning, both in the framework, and in your application. For
example, I may add "t5/core/forms" and a few related ones to the core stack
by default.  You may even contributes nulls to the @Core JavaScriptStack to
remove modules from the stack, in which case they will be loaded
dynamically by RequireJS.

This is one of the areas where there's contention between Tapestry's roots
as a "traditional" (e.g, HTTP GET and POST) framework, and the new emphasis
on Ajax, and single-page functionality.  The goal is to figure out just the
right stuff to put into aggregated stack to balance speed of that critical
first page hit, vs. navigation to other parts of the application.  It's a
bit easier for a single-page app (the kind of thing you'd build using
AngularJS) ... *everything* has to come down in that initial hit.

I'm kind of curious how the other frameworks approach these issues (or
ignore them). Perhaps people with experience in Wicket or Play could weigh
in.  I suspect all of these critical issues are left as an exercise for the
individual developer.

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com