Apache Tapestry for Java 11

gard sæbø
Hi!

We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java 8, to Java 11.

Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other frontend frameworks.

Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java versions?

Best regards,
Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

bobharner
Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry 5.4
under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once released),
although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it with
Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently, and
that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588

My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
hope to get back on it next weekend.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
> 8, to Java 11.
>
> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it
> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
> frontend frameworks.
>
> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
> versions?
>
> Best regards,
> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

gard sæbø
Hi Bob!

Sorry for late reply.

Thats good. It will save us for a lot of work.

We are looking forward to the new release :)

Best regards,
Gard

> On 8 Oct 2018, at 18:54, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry 5.4
> under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once released),
> although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it with
> Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently, and
> that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
>
> My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> hope to get back on it next weekend.
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
>> 8, to Java 11.
>>
>> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it
>> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
>> frontend frameworks.
>>
>> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
>> versions?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Adriaan Joubert-3
Hi,

we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
whether there is some way to support this development.

Best regards

Adriaan

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 10:03, gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Bob!
>
> Sorry for late reply.
>
> Thats good. It will save us for a lot of work.
>
> We are looking forward to the new release :)
>
> Best regards,
> Gard
>
> > On 8 Oct 2018, at 18:54, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> > compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry
> 5.4
> > under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once
> released),
> > although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it
> with
> > Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently,
> and
> > that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
> >
> > My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> > hope to get back on it next weekend.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
> >> 8, to Java 11.
> >>
> >> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but
> it
> >> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
> >> frontend frameworks.
> >>
> >> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
> >> versions?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]>

Hello!

> we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
> company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
> whether there is some way to support this development.

There's no company supporting Tapestry, but you can always try to talk to
individual team members (me included, hehehe).

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Adriaan Joubert-3
Hi,

I saw the list of team members on http://tapestry.apache.org/about.html -
any indication who is actively working on tapestry and would be interested
in us sponsoring some of the work to get Tapestry 5.5 out?

Thanks!

Adriaan

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 15:43, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> Hello!
>

> > we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
> > company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
> > whether there is some way to support this development.
> >

> There's no company supporting Tapestry, but you can always try to talk to
> individual team members (me included, hehehe).

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

bobharner
Thiago would be the best bet I think. Contact him directly.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2018, 11:40 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw the list of team members on http://tapestry.apache.org/about.html -
> any indication who is actively working on tapestry and would be interested
> in us sponsoring some of the work to get Tapestry 5.5 out?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Adriaan
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 15:43, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > Hello!
> >

> > > we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
> > > company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
> > > whether there is some way to support this development.
> > >

> > There's no company supporting Tapestry, but you can always try to talk to
> > individual team members (me included, hehehe).
> >
> > --
> > Thiago

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

croth
Is there any new(ish) word on Tapestry 5.5 or any other release that
will run under Java 9, 10, and maybe 11?

Thanks!

On 10/8/2018 12:54 PM, Bob Harner wrote:

> Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry 5.4
> under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once released),
> although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it with
> Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently, and
> that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
>
> My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> hope to get back on it next weekend.
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
>> 8, to Java 11.
>>
>> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it
>> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
>> frontend frameworks.
>>
>> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
>> versions?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Dmitry Gusev
Hi Charles,

Current state of the master branch should run just fine on Java 11; there's
no release you can download though.

We should probably start a vote on another Tapestry 5.5-beta soon to
release current state of the master branch,
and maybe make a first 5.5.0 release right after we get some feedback from
community.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:54 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there any new(ish) word on Tapestry 5.5 or any other release that
> will run under Java 9, 10, and maybe 11?
>
> Thanks!
>
> On 10/8/2018 12:54 PM, Bob Harner wrote:
> > Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> > compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry
> 5.4
> > under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once
> released),
> > although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it
> with
> > Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently,
> and
> > that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
> >
> > My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> > hope to get back on it next weekend.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
> >> 8, to Java 11.
> >>
> >> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but
> it
> >> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
> >> frontend frameworks.
> >>
> >> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
> >> versions?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Gard Sæbø

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

croth
Sounds good to me.  We'd be very happy to test a 5.5-beta. (Large
application that has about 1M LOC, including unit-tests, TML, etc.)

On 9/9/2019 3:08 PM, Dmitry Gusev wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Current state of the master branch should run just fine on Java 11; there's
> no release you can download though.
>
> We should probably start a vote on another Tapestry 5.5-beta soon to
> release current state of the master branch,
> and maybe make a first 5.5.0 release right after we get some feedback from
> community.
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:54 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there any new(ish) word on Tapestry 5.5 or any other release that
>> will run under Java 9, 10, and maybe 11?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> On 10/8/2018 12:54 PM, Bob Harner wrote:
>>> Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
>>> compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry
>> 5.4
>>> under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once
>> released),
>>> although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it
>> with
>>> Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently,
>> and
>>> that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
>>>
>>> My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
>>> hope to get back on it next weekend.

>> it

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Chris Poulsen
I did roll an "internal" 5.5-beta version based on the code from 12th July
as there are some fixes in HEAD that are not in the beta-2 and that bastard
build is what we currently are using without problems.

If 5.5 isn't 100% ready for release yet, it seems to be really close and it
would be good to get it finalized IMO.

--
Chris

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds good to me.  We'd be very happy to test a 5.5-beta. (Large
> application that has about 1M LOC, including unit-tests, TML, etc.)
>
> On 9/9/2019 3:08 PM, Dmitry Gusev wrote:
> > Hi Charles,
> >
> > Current state of the master branch should run just fine on Java 11;
> there's
> > no release you can download though.
> >
> > We should probably start a vote on another Tapestry 5.5-beta soon to
> > release current state of the master branch,
> > and maybe make a first 5.5.0 release right after we get some feedback
> from
> > community.
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:54 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any new(ish) word on Tapestry 5.5 or any other release that
> >> will run under Java 9, 10, and maybe 11?
> >>
> >> Thanks!

> >> 5.4
> >> released),
> >> with
> >> and

> but I

> Java

> but
> >> it

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM Chris Poulsen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I did roll an "internal" 5.5-beta version based on the code from 12th July
> as there are some fixes in HEAD that are not in the beta-2 and that bastard
> build is what we currently are using without problems.

We can push a new 5.5 beta for early testers.

> If 5.5 isn't 100% ready for release yet, it seems to be really close and it
> would be good to get it finalized IMO.

Yes, we're close. I'd just want to finish the support for running without
Bootstrap (or with Bootstrap 4) before releasing 5.5. I don't see any other
blockers or nice-to-haves. Other people may have their own, of course. :)

And yes, 5.5 supports Java 11 bytecode, and that's exactly the issue that
most probably took the team the longer to develop.

> --
> Chris
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sounds good to me.  We'd be very happy to test a 5.5-beta. (Large
> > application that has about 1M LOC, including unit-tests, TML, etc.)
> >
> > On 9/9/2019 3:08 PM, Dmitry Gusev wrote:
> > > Hi Charles,
> > >
> > > Current state of the master branch should run just fine on Java 11;
> > there's
> > > no release you can download though.
> > >
> > > We should probably start a vote on another Tapestry 5.5-beta soon to
> > > release current state of the master branch,
> > > and maybe make a first 5.5.0 release right after we get some feedback
> > from
> > > community.

> Tapestry
> currently,
> > >>>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588

> > but I

> > Java

> > but
> other

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Paul Stanton
"We can push a new 5.5 beta for early testers."

^-- is this available? if not, any eta?

On 11/09/2019 4:43 am, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM Chris Poulsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I did roll an "internal" 5.5-beta version based on the code from 12th July
>> as there are some fixes in HEAD that are not in the beta-2 and that bastard
>> build is what we currently are using without problems.
>>
> We can push a new 5.5 beta for early testers.
>

>> If 5.5 isn't 100% ready for release yet, it seems to be really close and it
>> would be good to get it finalized IMO.
>>
> Yes, we're close. I'd just want to finish the support for running without
> Bootstrap (or with Bootstrap 4) before releasing 5.5. I don't see any other
> blockers or nice-to-haves. Other people may have their own, of course. :)
>
> And yes, 5.5 supports Java 11 bytecode, and that's exactly the issue that
> most probably took the team the longer to develop.
>

>> --
>> Chris
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 9:11 PM Charles Roth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds good to me.  We'd be very happy to test a 5.5-beta. (Large
>>> application that has about 1M LOC, including unit-tests, TML, etc.)

>>> there's

>>> from

>> Tapestry
>> currently,
>>>>>>

>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
>>> but I

>>> Java

>>> but
>> other

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Dmitry Gusev
Hi Paul,

it's in latest 5.5.0-beta-3

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 12:55 AM Paul Stanton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "We can push a new 5.5 beta for early testers."
>
> ^-- is this available? if not, any eta?
>
> On 11/09/2019 4:43 am, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM Chris Poulsen <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I did roll an "internal" 5.5-beta version based on the code from 12th
> July
> >> as there are some fixes in HEAD that are not in the beta-2 and that
> bastard
> >> build is what we currently are using without problems.
> >>
> > We can push a new 5.5 beta for early testers.
> >

> >> If 5.5 isn't 100% ready for release yet, it seems to be really close
> and it
> >> would be good to get it finalized IMO.
> >>
> > Yes, we're close. I'd just want to finish the support for running without
> > Bootstrap (or with Bootstrap 4) before releasing 5.5. I don't see any
> other
> > blockers or nice-to-haves. Other people may have their own, of course. :)
> >
> > And yes, 5.5 supports Java 11 bytecode, and that's exactly the issue that
> > most probably took the team the longer to develop.
> >

> >> --
> >> Chris

> >> Tapestry
> it