Apache Tapestry for Java 11

gard sæbø
Hi!

We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java 8, to Java 11.

Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other frontend frameworks.

Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java versions?

Best regards,
Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

bobharner
Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry 5.4
under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once released),
although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it with
Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently, and
that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588

My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
hope to get back on it next weekend.

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
> 8, to Java 11.
>
> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it
> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
> frontend frameworks.
>
> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
> versions?
>
> Best regards,
> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

gard sæbø
Hi Bob!

Sorry for late reply.

Thats good. It will save us for a lot of work.

We are looking forward to the new release :)

Best regards,
Gard

> On 8 Oct 2018, at 18:54, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry 5.4
> under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once released),
> although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it with
> Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently, and
> that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
>
> My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> hope to get back on it next weekend.
>
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
>> 8, to Java 11.
>>
>> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but it
>> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
>> frontend frameworks.
>>
>> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
>> versions?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Adriaan Joubert-3
Hi,

we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
whether there is some way to support this development.

Best regards

Adriaan

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 10:03, gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Bob!
>
> Sorry for late reply.
>
> Thats good. It will save us for a lot of work.
>
> We are looking forward to the new release :)
>
> Best regards,
> Gard
>
> > On 8 Oct 2018, at 18:54, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. The unreleased 5.5 version passses all tests with the Java 9+
> > compatible version of ASM (which was the obstacle for running Tapestry
> 5.4
> > under Java 9+) and should be usable for Java 9 and 10 now (once
> released),
> > although it hasn't been tested enough by others. I haven't checked it
> with
> > Java 11 yet. The Tapestry nightly snapshot process is broken currently,
> and
> > that's the principal obstacle to the 5.5 release.
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/TAP5-2588
> >
> > My weekends have been occupied by other projects the last few weeks but I
> > hope to get back on it next weekend.
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 8, 2018, 9:49 AM gard sæbø <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> We are upgrading all our Java applications, which currently runs on Java
> >> 8, to Java 11.
> >>
> >> Our web applications use Apache Tapestry as the frontend framework, but
> it
> >> seems a bit quite on the Tapestry commit log in comparison with other
> >> frontend frameworks.
> >>
> >> Will there be any upgrade which will support Java 11 and future Java
> >> versions?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Gard Sæbø

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]>

Hello!

> we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
> company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
> whether there is some way to support this development.

There's no company supporting Tapestry, but you can always try to talk to
individual team members (me included, hehehe).

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

Adriaan Joubert-3
Hi,

I saw the list of team members on http://tapestry.apache.org/about.html -
any indication who is actively working on tapestry and would be interested
in us sponsoring some of the work to get Tapestry 5.5 out?

Thanks!

Adriaan

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 15:43, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Adriaan Joubert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> Hello!
>

> > we are also very interested in seeing 5.5 released. If there is a
> > company/consultant supporting Tapestry we would be interested in seeing
> > whether there is some way to support this development.
> >

> There's no company supporting Tapestry, but you can always try to talk to
> individual team members (me included, hehehe).

Re: Apache Tapestry for Java 11

bobharner
Thiago would be the best bet I think. Contact him directly.