Basic queries about Tapestry

HHB

Basic queries about Tapestry

HHB
Hi.
Why Tapestry5 came with its own DI container? why not using Spring or Guice as the default container?
What are the advantages of T5 DI container over Spring & Guice?
One more thing:
Will Tapestry be rewritten for Tapestry 6?
Thanks you.

RE: Basic queries about Tapestry

Kristian Marinkovic
please search the mailing list... (www.nabble.com)

HHB <[hidden email]>
28.01.2008 14:47
Bitte antworten an
"Tapestry users" <[hidden email]>

An
[hidden email]
Kopie

Thema
Basic queries about Tapestry

Hi.
Why Tapestry5 came with its own DI container? why not using Spring or
Guice
as the default container?
What are the advantages of T5 DI container over Spring & Guice?
One more thing:
Will Tapestry be rewritten for Tapestry 6?
Thanks you.

Re: Basic queries about Tapestry

Onno Scheffers-3
I think you will find all your answers here:
http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-ioc/index.html

- Onno

On Jan 28, 2008 5:47 AM, HHB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
> Why Tapestry5 came with its own DI container? why not using Spring or Guice
> as the default container?
> What are the advantages of T5 DI container over Spring & Guice?

Because those containers are broken or limited.

> One more thing:
> Will Tapestry be rewritten for Tapestry 6?

Possibly, but not by me :-)  T5 has been designed from the ground up
to support future releases with excellent backwards compatibility.
This is as good as it gets!

> Thanks you.

T5 direction - general purpose vs specialized?

kranga
I was testing t5 (5.0.7) and saw that the form component automatically
throws bubble messages for validation. T5 also seems to utilize
Scriptaculous for achieving this. So my question is - is Tapestry meant to
be specialized or general purpose? All our clients dictate the look-n-feel
of error messages and such and so the default bubble will never work for us.
I'm surprised that such a UI specific decision is made by T5. How much work
will it be to use a different scheme for display/presentation of error
messages? How dependent is T5 going to be on Scriptaculous and how much
tweaking will one have to do to circumvent its use?

Re: Basic queries about Tapestry

Jan Vissers
> On Jan 28, 2008 5:47 AM, HHB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>> Why Tapestry5 came with its own DI container? why not using Spring or
>> Guice
>> as the default container?
>> What are the advantages of T5 DI container over Spring & Guice?
>
> Because those containers are broken or limited.

C'mon. With all due respect - 'limited' would have sufficed, don't you
agree?! No need to call them 'broken', right?

>> One more thing:
>> Will Tapestry be rewritten for Tapestry 6?
>
> Possibly, but not by me :-)  T5 has been designed from the ground up
> to support future releases with excellent backwards compatibility.
> This is as good as it gets!
>
>> Thanks you.

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 direction - general purpose vs specialized?

Kristian Marinkovic
changing the display/presentation of error messages is
just a matter of providing an own ValidationDecorator and
replacing the DefaultValidationDecorator in the environment.

Replacing or removing the 'bubbles' seems to be a bit harder
because they are hardcoded into tapestry.js. I've not found a
way yet to replace it.

g,
kris

 public void
contributeMarkupRenderer(OrderedConfiguration<MarkupRendererFilter>
configuration, final Environment environment)
{
  MarkupRendererFilter filter = new MarkupRendererFilter() {
    public void renderMarkup(MarkupWriter writer, MarkupRenderer renderer)
{
          environment.push(ValidationDecorator.class, new
MyValidationDecorator());
          renderer.renderMarkup(writer);
          environment.pop(ValidationDecorator.class);
         }
  };
  configuration.add("MyValidationDelegate", filter,
"after:DefaultValidationDecorator");
}
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1754)

"kranga" <[hidden email]>
29.01.2008 01:02
[...]

Emmanuel Sowah
On Jan 29, 2008 12:30 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 5:47 AM, HHB <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> > Why Tapestry5 came with its own DI container? why not using Spring or
> Guice
> > as the default container?
> > What are the advantages of T5 DI container over Spring & Guice?
>
> Because those containers are broken or limited.

Like T5 DI would be broken or limited in a year's time when working on T6
starts. Then a whole rewrite would result out of that. And as the music
goes, it won't be backward compatible.

> > One more thing:
> > Will Tapestry be rewritten for Tapestry 6?
>
> Possibly, but not by me :-)  T5 has been designed from the ground up
> to support future releases with excellent backwards compatibility.

Excuse me, future? Do you know what the future holds? Didn't you make that
same statement when creating T4 which again was not backward compatible? I
get scared with such comments.

> This is as good as it gets!
>
> > Thanks you.

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Basic queries about Tapestry

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Emmanuel can have some good points, but, looking at this mailing list
history, he is a troll, citing Wicket (which seems to me to be a very
good framework, with a lot in common with Tapestry and, obviously,
some philosofy differences) in almost any message he posts.

What about letting his pure trolling messages unaswered?

Re: Basic queries about Tapestry

Filip S. Adamsen-2
That's what most of us do. ;)

-Filip