Can you comment on this?

12

Can you comment on this?

Emmanuel Sowah
Hi Guys,

I came across this article
http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and thought
probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the battle
against Wicket?

Emmanuel

Re: Can you comment on this?

Jessek
Why would Tapestry be losing any kind of battle because one person
wrote an email saying they "recommend" using Wicket?

When Wicket is actually technically / some other version of better
that I can measure I'll admit it but I'm obviously biased towards
Tapestry so my opinions are highly suspect.

Good for them for getting some good press. They get beaten up a lot so
I think it's good that some positive articles are floating around out
there for them.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Can you comment on this?

gredler
Emmanuel -

I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one user to
choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough people
agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a better
framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du jour).
Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the amount
of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community that
has been built around it, I think the first option is much more likely, but
then I'm no oracle :-)

Daniel

On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I came across this article
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and thought
> probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the battle
> against Wicket?
>
> Emmanuel

Re: Can you comment on this?

Marilen Corciovei
Daniel

I think you are right but only partially. We must never neglect the
marketing aspects. A "thing" either free or comercial is promoting
itself only less than 50% by it's quality because only a very little
number of decisions are taken by quality in todays world. Aspects like
mouth to mouth, slashdot articles, and many others are also essentials.
Ways must be found to promote Tapestry, this way it will receive the
attention deserved and this will allow and motivate everyone in
enhancing the framework.

Len
www.len.ro

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:15 -0500, D&J Gredler wrote:

> Emmanuel -
>
> I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
> inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one user to
> choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough people
> agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a better
> framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du jour).
> Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the amount
> of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community that
> has been built around it, I think the first option is much more likely, but
> then I'm no oracle :-)
>
> Daniel
>

> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I came across this article
> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and thought
> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the battle
> > against Wicket?
> >
> > Emmanuel

Re: Can you comment on this?

gredler
Agree 100%. I guess I just consider the marketing aspects to be part of the
free intellectual market :-)

On 12/20/06, Marilen Corciovei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel
>
> I think you are right but only partially. We must never neglect the
> marketing aspects. A "thing" either free or comercial is promoting
> itself only less than 50% by it's quality because only a very little
> number of decisions are taken by quality in todays world. Aspects like
> mouth to mouth, slashdot articles, and many others are also essentials.
> Ways must be found to promote Tapestry, this way it will receive the
> attention deserved and this will allow and motivate everyone in
> enhancing the framework.
>
> Len
> www.len.ro
>

> On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:15 -0500, D&J Gredler wrote:
>
> > Emmanuel -
> >
> > I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
> > inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one
> user to
> > choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough people
> > agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a
> better
> > framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du jour).
> > Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the
> amount
> > of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community
> that
> > has been built around it, I think the first option is much more likely,
> but
> > then I'm no oracle :-)
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> > On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I came across this article
> > > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
> thought
> > > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
> battle
> > > against Wicket?
> > >
> > > Emmanuel

RE: Can you comment on this?

Mark Stang
After 18 months of developing with Tapestry 3.03, I don't know what my next framework will be, but you can bet it will be Tapestry.  Having worked with Model 1 Frameworks using JSP's and then working with Struts 1.x, I have had envough of anything related to .jsp or taglibs.  I have no experience with JSF or Wicket, but I do have 150 pages in Tapestry.  I have multiple libraries of components and even some custom components.  And when the time to upgrade comes along, it will probably be 5.x.

We have started three new products since mine and all of them have been Tapestry.

regards,

Mark

Mark J. Stang
Senior Engineer/Architect
office: +1 303.468.2900
mobile: +1 303.507.2833
Ping Identity

Re: Can you comment on this?

Dennis Sinelnikov
I agree.  It takes a little while to get a developer thinking in a
"Tapestry" way, but once that's done, it becomes contagious and fun --
constantly innovating and finding a better/neater solution to a problem.
Looking forward to Tap5...

-Dennis

Mark Stang wrote:

> After 18 months of developing with Tapestry 3.03, I don't know what my next framework will be, but you can bet it will be Tapestry.  Having worked with Model 1 Frameworks using JSP's and then working with Struts 1.x, I have had envough of anything related to .jsp or taglibs.  I have no experience with JSF or Wicket, but I do have 150 pages in Tapestry.  I have multiple libraries of components and even some custom components.  And when the time to upgrade comes along, it will probably be 5.x.
>
> We have started three new products since mine and all of them have been Tapestry.
>
> regards,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark J. Stang
> Senior Engineer/Architect
> office: +1 303.468.2900
> mobile: +1 303.507.2833
> Ping Identity

Re: Can you comment on this?

gredler
Case in point ;-)

http://www.nabble.com/Directly-map-a-bean-to-HTML-form-tf2845102.html#a7944709

On 12/20/06, D&J Gredler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Emmanuel -
>
> I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
> inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one user to
> choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough people
> agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a better
> framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du jour).
> Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the amount
> of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community that
> has been built around it, I think the first option is much more likely, but
> then I'm no oracle :-)
>
> Daniel
>

> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I came across this article
> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
> > thought
> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
> > battle
> > against Wicket?
> >
> > Emmanuel

Re: Can you comment on this?

Jessek
Uh oh ....You just brought up their biggest Achilles heal. Good for you :)

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Can you comment on this?

gredler
Just call me Paris ;-)

(mythology joke...)

On 12/21/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uh oh ....You just brought up their biggest Achilles heal. Good for you :)
>
> On 12/20/06, D&J Gredler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Case in point ;-)
> >

> http://www.nabble.com/Directly-map-a-bean-to-HTML-form-tf2845102.html#a7944709
> >

> > On 12/20/06, D&J Gredler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Emmanuel -
> > >
> > > I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
> > > inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one
> user to
> > > choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough
> people
> > > agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a
> better
> > > framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du
> jour).
> > > Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the
> amount
> > > of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community
> that
> > > has been built around it, I think the first option is much more
> likely, but
> > > then I'm no oracle :-)
> > >
> > > Daniel

> --
> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Can you comment on this?

Emmanuel Sowah
Jesse,

This comment of yours that Wicket, in its current form, is technically
inferior doesn't hold water for me. Can you cite concrete reasons why you
think so?
And when I read your comment that they get beaten up a lot I decided to go
goggle and find out what that means and could see that the only bashing on
Wicket was based on their abuse of the session but this I read in the link
to the article I posted earlier that they are solving this issue by using
the hard disk.
Sorry, but I like fair discussions.

Emmanuel

On 12/20/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why would Tapestry be losing any kind of battle because one person
> wrote an email saying they "recommend" using Wicket?
>
> When Wicket is actually technically / some other version of better
> that I can measure I'll admit it but I'm obviously biased towards
> Tapestry so my opinions are highly suspect.
>
> Good for them for getting some good press. They get beaten up a lot so
> I think it's good that some positive articles are floating around out
> there for them.
>
> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I came across this article
> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
> thought
> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
> battle
> > against Wicket?
> >
> > Emmanuel
> >

> --
> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Can you comment on this?

cyrille37
Emmanuel Sowah a écrit :
> Hi Guys,
>
> I came across this article
> http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and thought
> probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the battle
> against Wicket?
>
> Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,

Did you have a look at Rife http://rifers.org/ ?

Re: Can you comment on this?

Martin Strand-4
I'm still troubled by the fact that nobody has come up with an answer to
this:
Is vi better than emacs or is it the other way around?

Martin

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:53:44 +0100, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> This comment of yours that Wicket, in its current form, is technically
> inferior doesn't hold water for me. Can you cite concrete reasons why you
> think so?
> And when I read your comment that they get beaten up a lot I decided to
> go
> goggle and find out what that means and could see that the only bashing
> on
> Wicket was based on their abuse of the session but this I read in the
> link
> to the article I posted earlier that they are solving this issue by using
> the hard disk.
> Sorry, but I like fair discussions.
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On 12/20/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Why would Tapestry be losing any kind of battle because one person
>> wrote an email saying they "recommend" using Wicket?
>>
>> When Wicket is actually technically / some other version of better
>> that I can measure I'll admit it but I'm obviously biased towards
>> Tapestry so my opinions are highly suspect.
>>
>> Good for them for getting some good press. They get beaten up a lot so
>> I think it's good that some positive articles are floating around out
>> there for them.
>>
>> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I came across this article
>> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
>> thought
>> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
>> battle
>> > against Wicket?
>> >
>> > Emmanuel

Re: Can you comment on this?

Daniel Jue
Well, obviously emacs is better.

On 12/21/06, Martin Strand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still troubled by the fact that nobody has come up with an answer to
> this:
> Is vi better than emacs or is it the other way around?
>
> Martin

Re: Can you comment on this?

karthik G
Both frameworks have excellent developers (which is great for users) and
from what I see both have a different approach to a problem. I think
everything can co-exist!

> Case in point ;-)

http://www.nabble.com/Directly-map-a-bean-to-HTML-form-tf2845102.html#a7944709
<http://www.nabble.com/Directly-map-a-bean-to-HTML-form-tf2845102.html#a7944709>

Yes a built-in beanform doesn't seem to exist in Wicket now but that doesn't
mean that it can't be done. Wicket has Panel components that can just about
wrap any component. So you just need a TextFieldPanel that wraps a TextField
for e.g. You can have similar such Panels for a checkbox, drop down etc. But
at the end of the day they can all be treated as panels that need to be
rendered in a loop?. Then its just about having a Wicket Repeater component
that renders any of these panels depending upon the bean property.

So a minimalistic generic template could look like this -

IMHO the importance of beanform kind of component depends on the project you
are working on. Our client has tied up with another company to design UI
templates. We assemble the rest of the application. So in our case, the
beanform is not of much help. Please do note that I'm not trying to
trivialize the component implementation. But its important to realize that
the dynamic forms are supported within Wicket constructs as well.

Regards,
Karthik

On 12/21/06, D&J Gredler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Case in point ;-)
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Directly-map-a-bean-to-HTML-form-tf2845102.html#a7944709
>

> On 12/20/06, D&J Gredler < [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Emmanuel -
> >
> > I tend to view this as a free intellectual market at work. There were
> > inadequacies in Tapestry and strengths in Wicket that drove this one
> user to
> > choose Wicket over Tapestry (and the other frameworks). If enough people
> > agree with him, either Tapestry addresses these issues and becomes a
> better
> > framework, or users migrate to Wicket (or some other framework du jour).
>
> > Either way, we developers end up with a better framework. Given the
> amount
> > of work that has already been invested in Tapestry and the community
> that
> > has been built around it, I think the first option is much more likely,
> but
> > then I'm no oracle :-)
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> > On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah < [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I came across this article
> > > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
> > > thought
> > > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
> > > battle
> > > against Wicket?
> > >
> > > Emmanuel

RE: Can you comment on this?

Greg.L.Cormier
:s/emacs/vi

;)

On 12/21/06, Martin Strand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still troubled by the fact that nobody has come up with an answer to
> this:
> Is vi better than emacs or is it the other way around?
>
> Martin

Re: Can you comment on this?

Jessek
Bah! Everyone knows emacs is better...sheesh ;)

On 12/21/06, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> :s/emacs/vi
>
> ;)

Gentry, Michael (Contractor)
Well, emacs has a vi emulation mode ...

wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> This comment of yours that Wicket, in its current form, is technically
> inferior doesn't hold water for me. Can you cite concrete reasons why
you
> think so?
> And when I read your comment that they get beaten up a lot I decided
> go
> goggle and find out what that means and could see that the only
bashing
> on
> Wicket was based on their abuse of the session but this I read in the

> link
> to the article I posted earlier that they are solving this issue by
using

> the hard disk.
> Sorry, but I like fair discussions.
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On 12/20/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Why would Tapestry be losing any kind of battle because one person
>> wrote an email saying they "recommend" using Wicket?
>>
>> When Wicket is actually technically / some other version of better
>> that I can measure I'll admit it but I'm obviously biased towards
>> Tapestry so my opinions are highly suspect.
>>
>> Good for them for getting some good press. They get beaten up a lot
so

>> I think it's good that some positive articles are floating around out
>> there for them.
>>
>> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I came across this article
>> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
>> thought
>> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
>> battle
>> > against Wicket?
>> >
>> > Emmanuel

RE: Can you comment on this?

TomV
Yeah, but Fannie Mae uses emacs to edit all their accounting files, and
look where that got 'em . . .

Vi would have never let that happen.

wrote:

> Jesse,
>
> This comment of yours that Wicket, in its current form, is technically
> inferior doesn't hold water for me. Can you cite concrete reasons why
you
> think so?
> And when I read your comment that they get beaten up a lot I decided
> go
> goggle and find out what that means and could see that the only
bashing
> on
> Wicket was based on their abuse of the session but this I read in the

> link
> to the article I posted earlier that they are solving this issue by
using

> the hard disk.
> Sorry, but I like fair discussions.
>
> Emmanuel
>
> On 12/20/06, Jesse Kuhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Why would Tapestry be losing any kind of battle because one person
>> wrote an email saying they "recommend" using Wicket?
>>
>> When Wicket is actually technically / some other version of better
>> that I can measure I'll admit it but I'm obviously biased towards
>> Tapestry so my opinions are highly suspect.
>>
>> Good for them for getting some good press. They get beaten up a lot
so

>> I think it's good that some positive articles are floating around out
>> there for them.
>>
>> On 12/20/06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I came across this article
>> > http://www.infoq.com/news/2006/12/wicket-vs-springmvc-and-jsf and
>> thought
>> > probably someone here could comment. Is Tapestry really losing the
>> battle
>> > against Wicket?
>> >
>> > Emmanuel

Help with @ScriptIncludes

Greg.L.Cormier
Okay, in my border.html, inside my <head> I have a nice

I view source and looks like it's working:

<script type="text/javascript">djConfig = ..snip... </script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/pctadmin/app?service=asset&path=%2Fdojo%2Fdojo.js"></script>
...snip a few more script tags ...

However, I'm getting an error on the first dojo.js include..

Error: illegal character
Source File: http://peanut/pctadmin/app?service=asset&path=%2Fdojo%2Fdojo.js
Line: 1
Source Code:
<

if I paste that URL directly into my browser I get a bunch of jibberish. It does look like it's gzip-compressed... I disabled all my compression filters but it's still compressed, possibly by Tapestry.

Any ideas? This should in theory be working out of the box?

Thanks,
Greg

12