Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Poggenpohl, Daniel
Hello everyone,

we are evaluating IntelliJ IDEA for development and so far it has been quite good.
But the Tapestry specifics seem to hinder further evaluation.
Does anyone here use IntelliJ for development?

When we debug code, page properties are always seen as having a "null" value instead of the proxy that Eclipse used to show. What are we doing wrong?

Regards,
Daniel P.

Re: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Chris Poulsen
It works fine with IDEA here. A possibility could be that you are running
in production mode?

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Poggenpohl, Daniel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> we are evaluating IntelliJ IDEA for development and so far it has been
> quite good.
> But the Tapestry specifics seem to hinder further evaluation.
> Does anyone here use IntelliJ for development?
>
> When we debug code, page properties are always seen as having a "null"
> value instead of the proxy that Eclipse used to show. What are we doing
> wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Daniel P.

Re: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

NutterzUK
Just to confirm it also works fine here too. I've found IntelliJ to be
absolutely fantastic so far. I'm running it using jetty but I know there is
an option for tomcat... I don't know if that could make a difference?
On 25 Aug 2015 11:33 am, "Chris Poulsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It works fine with IDEA here. A possibility could be that you are running
> in production mode?
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Poggenpohl, Daniel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > we are evaluating IntelliJ IDEA for development and so far it has been
> > quite good.
> > But the Tapestry specifics seem to hinder further evaluation.
> > Does anyone here use IntelliJ for development?
> >
> > When we debug code, page properties are always seen as having a "null"
> > value instead of the proxy that Eclipse used to show. What are we doing
> > wrong?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel P.

Re: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Charlouze
+1 (non-binding :D)

Le mar. 25 août 2015 à 13:25, Stephen Nutbrown <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Just to confirm it also works fine here too. I've found IntelliJ to be
> absolutely fantastic so far. I'm running it using jetty but I know there is
> an option for tomcat... I don't know if that could make a difference?
> On 25 Aug 2015 11:33 am, "Chris Poulsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It works fine with IDEA here. A possibility could be that you are running
> > in production mode?
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Poggenpohl, Daniel <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > we are evaluating IntelliJ IDEA for development and so far it has been
> > > quite good.
> > > But the Tapestry specifics seem to hinder further evaluation.
> > > Does anyone here use IntelliJ for development?
> > >
> > > When we debug code, page properties are always seen as having a "null"
> > > value instead of the proxy that Eclipse used to show. What are we doing
> > > wrong?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Daniel P.

RE: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Svein-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

AW: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Poggenpohl, Daniel
Hi everyone,

it seems that production mode (is set to true) is the problem.

We use build profiles and have three stages:
1. Local development
2. Deploying to a Test VM for load tests
3. Deploying to the official VM

Our tapestry module POM reflects this.
When I add a property
        <tapestry.execution-mode>development</tapestry.execution-mode>
to the POM, it should load the additional DevelopmentModule which sets the production mode to false.
The DevelopmentModule isn't loaded, though.

Isn't this the way to go?

Regards,
Daniel P.

Just to confirm it also works fine here too. I've found IntelliJ to be absolutely fantastic so far. I'm running it using jetty but I know there is an option for tomcat... I don't know if that could make a difference?
On 25 Aug 2015 11:33 am, "Chris Poulsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It works fine with IDEA here. A possibility could be that you are
> running in production mode?
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Poggenpohl, Daniel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > we are evaluating IntelliJ IDEA for development and so far it has
> > been quite good.
> > But the Tapestry specifics seem to hinder further evaluation.
> > Does anyone here use IntelliJ for development?
> >
> > When we debug code, page properties are always seen as having a "null"
> > value instead of the proxy that Eclipse used to show. What are we
> > doing wrong?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel P.

Re: Debugging Tapestry with IntelliJ IDEA

Chris Poulsen
We usually simply set -Dtapestry.production-mode=false in the JVM when we
want dev mode.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Poggenpohl, Daniel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> it seems that production mode (is set to true) is the problem.
>
> We use build profiles and have three stages:
> 1. Local development
> 2. Deploying to a Test VM for load tests
> 3. Deploying to the official VM
>
> Our tapestry module POM reflects this.
> When I add a property
>         <tapestry.execution-mode>development</tapestry.execution-mode>
> to the POM, it should load the additional DevelopmentModule which sets the
> production mode to false.
> The DevelopmentModule isn't loaded, though.
>
> Isn't this the way to go?
>
> Regards,
> Daniel P.

Using production mode = false helped solve the problem with properties having "null" values.
The tapestry execution mode has to wait for now until we need different modes.

Thanks for helping.

Regards,
Daniel P.