Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Cardenas, Juan Carlos
I can't seem to find a reference in the documentation.

I know Tapestry4 at least covers 168

What are the plans for covering JSR 286 Portlet 2.0 spec?

Carlos

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Howard Lewis Ship
Currently there are not plans to support Portlets in T5 for the
initial release. If there is enough interest, it will be added as a
follow on. It will be much easier to add to T5 than it was to T4,
since a lot of the ideas in T5 came from T4 and its portlet support.
such as the action request / render request split present in T5 (and
in portlets).

On Dec 28, 2007 10:09 AM, Cardenas, Juan Carlos
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't seem to find a reference in the documentation.
>
> I know Tapestry4 at least covers 168
>
> What are the plans for covering JSR 286 Portlet 2.0 spec?
>
> Carlos

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Michael Lake-2

would it be completely ridiculous for a T5 component to house a
portlet? is that at all feasible?

-mike

On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> Currently there are not plans to support Portlets in T5 for the
> initial release. If there is enough interest, it will be added as a
> follow on. It will be much easier to add to T5 than it was to T4,
> since a lot of the ideas in T5 came from T4 and its portlet support.
> such as the action request / render request split present in T5 (and
> in portlets).
>
> On Dec 28, 2007 10:09 AM, Cardenas, Juan Carlos
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can't seem to find a reference in the documentation.
>>
>> I know Tapestry4 at least covers 168
>>
>> What are the plans for covering JSR 286 Portlet 2.0 spec?
>>
>> Carlos
>>

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Howard Lewis Ship
It's really the other way around; a Portlet is defined in terms of a
T5 application, where the application pages are mapped to different
views of the portlet. A portal would contain many portlets, some T5
applications, some natively implemented.

On Dec 28, 2007 11:19 AM, Michael Lake <[hidden email]> wrote:

> would it be completely ridiculous for a T5 component to house a
> portlet? is that at all feasible?
>
> -mike
>

> On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > Currently there are not plans to support Portlets in T5 for the
> > initial release. If there is enough interest, it will be added as a
> > follow on. It will be much easier to add to T5 than it was to T4,
> > since a lot of the ideas in T5 came from T4 and its portlet support.
> > such as the action request / render request split present in T5 (and
> > in portlets).
> >
> > On Dec 28, 2007 10:09 AM, Cardenas, Juan Carlos
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I can't seem to find a reference in the documentation.
> >>
> >> I know Tapestry4 at least covers 168
> >>
> >> What are the plans for covering JSR 286 Portlet 2.0 spec?
> >>
> >> Carlos
> >>

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Olle Hallin
Hi,

Consider this as interest in having T5 support portlets. We are just about
starting porting a largish JSP-hell application to a proper CMS system plus
Tapestry and portlets, and I would very much like to see that we can jump
right onto T5.

To us, portlets are more important that AJAX (since we don't have much of
that in the current app anyway).

Regards,
Olle Hallin

2007/12/28, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]>:

> It's really the other way around; a Portlet is defined in terms of a
> T5 application, where the application pages are mapped to different
> views of the portlet. A portal would contain many portlets, some T5
> applications, some natively implemented.
>
> On Dec 28, 2007 11:19 AM, Michael Lake <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > would it be completely ridiculous for a T5 component to house a
> > portlet? is that at all feasible?
> >
> > -mike
> >

> > On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> >
> > > Currently there are not plans to support Portlets in T5 for the
> > > initial release. If there is enough interest, it will be added as a
> > > follow on. It will be much easier to add to T5 than it was to T4,
> > > since a lot of the ideas in T5 came from T4 and its portlet support.
> > > such as the action request / render request split present in T5 (and
> > > in portlets).

> > > --
> > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > >
> > > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Olle Hallin M.Sc.
+46 70 6653071
[hidden email]
www.hit.se

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Emmanuel Sowah
Howard,

Well, left me alone, I would say instead of the effort to support Portlets
in T5, spend that in making T5 backward compatible to T4 and T3. You would
save many people a lot of misery in migrating.

E.

On Dec 28, 2007 11:24 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's really the other way around; a Portlet is defined in terms of a
> T5 application, where the application pages are mapped to different
> views of the portlet. A portal would contain many portlets, some T5
> applications, some natively implemented.
>
> On Dec 28, 2007 11:19 AM, Michael Lake <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > would it be completely ridiculous for a T5 component to house a
> > portlet? is that at all feasible?
> >
> > -mike
> >

> > On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:06 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> >
> > > Currently there are not plans to support Portlets in T5 for the
> > > initial release. If there is enough interest, it will be added as a
> > > follow on. It will be much easier to add to T5 than it was to T4,
> > > since a lot of the ideas in T5 came from T4 and its portlet support.
> > > such as the action request / render request split present in T5 (and
> > > in portlets).

> > > --
> > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > >
> > > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Darío Vasconcelos
Add me to the portlet petition; we're about to start development on a portal
with Liferay and it would be great to have portlet support in T5.

On 12/28/07, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Howard,
>
> Well, left me alone, I would say instead of the effort to support Portlets
> in T5, spend that in making T5 backward compatible to T4 and T3. You would
> save many people a lot of misery in migrating.
>
> E.
>
> On Dec 28, 2007 11:24 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It's really the other way around; a Portlet is defined in terms of a
> > T5 application, where the application pages are mapped to different
> > views of the portlet. A portal would contain many portlets, some T5
> > applications, some natively implemented.
> >
> > On Dec 28, 2007 11:19 AM, Michael Lake <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >

> > > would it be completely ridiculous for a T5 component to house a
> > > portlet? is that at all feasible?
> > >
> > > -mike

> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us
left."
Oscar Levant

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Jan Vissers
> Add me to the portlet petition;

Me too!

> Add me to the portlet petition; we're about to start development on a
> portal
> with Liferay and it would be great to have portlet support in T5.
>
> Regards,

> On 12/28/07, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howard,
>>
>> Well, left me alone, I would say instead of the effort to support
>> Portlets
>> in T5, spend that in making T5 backward compatible to T4 and T3. You
>> would
>> save many people a lot of misery in migrating.
>>
>> E.
>>
>> On Dec 28, 2007 11:24 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > It's really the other way around; a Portlet is defined in terms of a
>> > T5 application, where the application pages are mapped to different
>> > views of the portlet. A portal would contain many portlets, some T5
>> > applications, some natively implemented.

>> support.
>> (and

>> > --
>> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
>> >
>> > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

> "What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of
> us
> left."
> Oscar Levant

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Arve Klev
My vote is to portlet in T5.

Sincerely, Arve Klev

2007/12/29, Jan Vissers <[hidden email]>:

> > Add me to the portlet petition;
>
> Me too!
>
> > Add me to the portlet petition; we're about to start development on a
> > portal
> > with Liferay and it would be great to have portlet support in T5.
> >
> > Regards,

> > On 12/28/07, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Howard,
> >>
> >> Well, left me alone, I would say instead of the effort to support
> >> Portlets
> >> in T5, spend that in making T5 backward compatible to T4 and T3. You
> >> would
> >> save many people a lot of misery in migrating.
> >>
> >> E.

> >> support.
> >> (and

> > "What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few
> of
> > us
> > left."
> > Oscar Levant

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Christian Gruber-5
Well, you can always make a portlet-container component. :)

Christian.

On 30-Dec-07, at 15:12 , Arve Klev wrote:

> My vote is to portlet in T5.
>
> Sincerely, Arve Klev
>
> 2007/12/29, Jan Vissers <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Add me to the portlet petition;
>>
>> Me too!
>>
>>> Add me to the portlet petition; we're about to start development
>>> on a
>>> portal
>>> with Liferay and it would be great to have portlet support in T5.
>>>
>>> Regards,

>>> --
>>> "What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so
>>> few
>> of
>>> us
>>> left."
>>> Oscar Levant

Re: Does Tapestry5 support Portlets specs JSR168 and 286

Craig St Jean
Seconded - my company will not use Tapestry because of the constant
changes between versions. Its even starting to drive me away in favor
of WebObjects...