FineUploader implementation?

JumpStart
Does anyone have a Tapestry implementation that handles uploads with FineUploader 5?

Taha's implementation ( http://tawus.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/ajax-upload-for-tapestry/ ) looks great, but it's not suited to version 5.0's blobs and its RESTful leanings.

Geoff

Re: FineUploader implementation?

Ilya Obshadko-2
I have an improved implementation for BlueImp jQuery-File-Upload, included
in https://github.com/xfyre/tapestry5-xtensions.
FineUploader is a commercial product, so it's not easy to distribute
solutions that use it.

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Geoff Callender <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone have a Tapestry implementation that handles uploads with
> FineUploader 5?
>
> Taha's implementation (
> http://tawus.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/ajax-upload-for-tapestry/ ) looks
> great, but it's not suited to version 5.0's blobs and its RESTful leanings.
>
> Geoff

Ilya Obshadko

Re: FineUploader implementation?

Ray Nicholus
I’ll chime in as I’ve been maintaining Fine Uploader since mid-2012, and my employer uses it in a few of our products, each of which also use Tapestry.

Our setup is fairly simple.  We register a servlet to handle any requests from Fine Uploader (such as the upload and delete requests for traditional endpoints or the signature & success requests for S3 and Azure endpoints).

We then create a component to render the uploader and a JavaScript stack to load the necessary client-side files.  In the component’s TML, we define and customize our Fine Uploader UI template (assuming we are using Fine Uploader’s UI).  Generally, this is done in a script tag with a type of “text/template”, but Tapestry seems to interfere with this script tag (can’t remember what the issue is) so we have used a hidden div for our template in Tapestry projects.

The Java class associated with the component is pretty simple: just a render method to pass any server-determined Fine Uploader options to our Fine Uploader “glue” script that initializes the library when the component loads.  We have a few Java endpoint handler examples in our server integration github repo for reference (https://github.com/FineUploader/server-examples/tree/master/java)

Regarding the licensing portion of this thread: Fine Uploader is free to use for non-commercial products.  If you are developing a commercial product with the help of Fine Uploader, we require you to purchase a commercial license from us.  This seems fair given the amount of time we put into developing and supporting the library.  Also, the licensing in no way restricts distribution of solutions that use it.  It's as simple as sharing a gist or repo on GitHub, for example.

Blueimp's jquery file upload is probably ok for very basic use, but you'll find the complete lack of support and baked in convenience methods frustrating when you attempt something a bit more complex, such as uploading directly to S3 from the browser, or generating scaled images client side, or sending multiple chunks of the same file concurrently, to name a few.

If you have any further questions, we monitor the fine-uploader tag on stackoverflow and respond to questions there pretty quickly.  Bugs are handled in our github project issue tracker though, of course.

Re: FineUploader implementation?

That looks good. Thank you.

Thanks Ray. I have some follow-up questions in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27760867/tapestry-implementation .