Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

jpoder
Hi all,

I want to generate links to a Tapestry page from another (non Tapestry) Java program and would like to know if there is any preferred way of doing that? Can I somehow use Tapestry's URI generation code directly?
The page I need to link to has two arguments, say a type and a list of ids:
app/page/type/1,3,6,9

Tapestry does not allow commas in the path segment, without its own encoding, so in case I cannot use Tapestry's URI generation, what then? Of course I can put the ids in different path segments, but I think of those as more of an hierarchical structure and thus it does not feel natural...
app/page/type/1/3/6/9

I'm using T5.3.8.

I would very much appreciate any thoughts or experience on the matter.

Thank you,

Jacob

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

Chris Poulsen
you can also work with the request parameters in the "old fashioned" way by
injecting the request

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to generate links to a Tapestry page from another (non Tapestry)
> Java program and would like to know if there is any preferred way of doing
> that? Can I somehow use Tapestry's URI generation code directly?
> The page I need to link to has two arguments, say a type and a list of ids:
> app/page/type/1,3,6,9
>
> Tapestry does not allow commas in the path segment, without its own
> encoding, so in case I cannot use Tapestry's URI generation, what then? Of
> course I can put the ids in different path segments, but I think of those
> as more of an hierarchical structure and thus it does not feel natural...
> app/page/type/1/3/6/9
>
> I'm using T5.3.8.
>
> I would very much appreciate any thoughts or experience on the matter.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jacob

RE: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

jpoder
Tapestry will throw an exception in URLEncoderImpl.decode before even getting to onActivate in my page, so I can't do that.

wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to generate links to a Tapestry page from another (non
> Tapestry) Java program and would like to know if there is any
> preferred way of doing that? Can I somehow use Tapestry's URI generation code directly?
> The page I need to link to has two arguments, say a type and a list of ids:
> app/page/type/1,3,6,9
>
> Tapestry does not allow commas in the path segment, without its own
> encoding, so in case I cannot use Tapestry's URI generation, what
> then? Of course I can put the ids in different path segments, but I
> think of those as more of an hierarchical structure and thus it does not feel natural...
> app/page/type/1/3/6/9
>
> I'm using T5.3.8.
>
> I would very much appreciate any thoughts or experience on the matter.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jacob

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

On Wed, 06 May 2015 09:58:41 -0300, Chris Poulsen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> you can also work with the request parameters in the "old fashioned" way
> by
> injecting the request

You could combine the suggestion above with a page which will redirect to
the correct page and Tapestry-generated URL according to these parameters.
Sort of a router/redirector for external URLs.

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

On Wed, 06 May 2015 10:24:01 -0300, Poder, Jacob
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tapestry will throw an exception in URLEncoderImpl.decode before even
> getting to onActivate in my page, so I can't do that.

You can override the URLEncoder service with your own implementation if
you really want to use commas. Or you could even do some URL rewriting.

RE: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

jpoder
I'll consider overriding the URLEncoder service, but I'm not too keen on that as it will require me to check for changes in the std implementation on each Tapestry upgrade.
Maybe the most reliable solution is to use context segments after all...

Thank you for your input.

Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer http://machina.com.br

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

Chris Poulsen
I was thinking that you could pass the list of ids as a single multivalue
parameter and then use request.getParameterValues to retrieve the values
for the parameter (so url encoding of "," would not be an issue)

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'll consider overriding the URLEncoder service, but I'm not too keen on
> that as it will require me to check for changes in the std implementation
> on each Tapestry upgrade.
> Maybe the most reliable solution is to use context segments after all...
>
> Thank you for your input.

SV: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

jpoder
Sorry, I don't follow, how can I "pass the list of ids as a single multivalue parameter"?

wrote:

> I'll consider overriding the URLEncoder service, but I'm not too keen on
> that as it will require me to check for changes in the std implementation
> on each Tapestry upgrade.
> Maybe the most reliable solution is to use context segments after all...
>
> Thank you for your input.

Something like this answer: http://stackoverflow.com/a/15849972

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Sorry, I don't follow, how can I "pass the list of ids as a single
> multivalue parameter"?

That topic has nothing to do with Tapestry... Tapestry is rejecting my (comma) delimited list. The only thing I get from that topic is using another delimiter than comma. I can do that of course and that was definitely the point of my question, but what delimiter is allowed by Tapestry?

wrote:

> Sorry, I don't follow, how can I "pass the list of ids as a single
> multivalue parameter"?

As I wrote in the initial reply you can bypass the tapestry decoding bit
and work with the request parameters directly if you are not generating the
links from tapestry anyway.

The post i shared does not explain how to use another delimiter, it shows
you how to have a single parameter contain multiple values in the plain
servlet api.

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> That topic has nothing to do with Tapestry... Tapestry is rejecting my
> (comma) delimited list. The only thing I get from that topic is using
> another delimiter than comma. I can do that of course and that was
> definitely the point of my question, but what delimiter is allowed by
> Tapestry?

Re: SV: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

Jens Breitenstein
Hi Jacob,

You can use "/" to seperate your id's, for example:

http://yourserver/tapestrypage/1/2/3/4

Will call the onActivate method in your tapestry page class named "TapestryPage". All params are passed via EventContext and you can access the values by index. In case your id's may be of type string and contain the "/" character you have to "quote" it because "/" is the natural tapestry url parameter delimiter.

Does this help?

Jens

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

> Am 09.05.2015 um 22:00 schrieb Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]>:
>
> That topic has nothing to do with Tapestry... Tapestry is rejecting my (comma) delimited list. The only thing I get from that topic is using another delimiter than comma. I can do that of course and that was definitely the point of my question, but what delimiter is allowed by Tapestry?

duymap
I recommended that you should not pass a lot of params in eventcontext ,
this is not best practice. You can use json and pass as many as parametters
that you want in json and call Tapestry ajax.

Duy.

On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 5:42 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
>
> You can use "/" to seperate your id's, for example:
>
> http://yourserver/tapestrypage/1/2/3/4
>
> Will call the onActivate method in your tapestry page class named
> "TapestryPage". All params are passed via EventContext and you can access
> the values by index. In case your id's may be of type string and contain
> the "/" character you have to "quote" it because "/" is the natural
> tapestry url parameter delimiter.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Jens
>
> Von meinem iPhone gesendet
>
> > Am 09.05.2015 um 22:00 schrieb Poder, Jacob <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > That topic has nothing to do with Tapestry... Tapestry is rejecting my
> (comma) delimited list. The only thing I get from that topic is using
> another delimiter than comma. I can do that of course and that was
> definitely the point of my question, but what delimiter is allowed by
> Tapestry?

Chung Khánh Duy
Project Support Manager
Formos

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:00:07 -0300, Poder, Jacob
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll consider overriding the URLEncoder service, but I'm not too keen on
> that as it will require me to check for changes in the std
> implementation on each Tapestry upgrade.

No, it won't. Why would it?

> Maybe the most reliable solution is to use context segments after all...

What do you mean by context segments?

RE: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

jpoder
It would because my own URLEncoder service would be based on the current Tapestry one, and in case the Tapestry one changes (bug, performance, whatever...) I would want to incorporate those changes also.

Context segments would be the segments in the context part of the URL, /a/b/c/.
I have a solution that works using URLs like "app/page/type/1/3/6/9" and I think I will stick with that.

Thank you for all your feedback.

On Wed, 06 May 2015 12:00:07 -0300, Poder, Jacob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll consider overriding the URLEncoder service, but I'm not too keen
> on that as it will require me to check for changes in the std
> implementation on each Tapestry upgrade.

No, it won't. Why would it?

> Maybe the most reliable solution is to use context segments after all...

What do you mean by context segments?

Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer http://machina.com.br

Re: Generate link to Tapestry page from another program

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Tue, 12 May 2015 06:11:28 -0300, Poder, Jacob
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would because my own URLEncoder service would be based on the current
> Tapestry one, and in case the Tapestry one changes (bug, performance,
> whatever...) I would want to incorporate those changes also.

You can check its history and see how little it changes over time.

> Context segments would be the segments in the context part of the URL,
> /a/b/c/.
> I have a solution that works using URLs like "app/page/type/1/3/6/9" and
> I think I will stick with that.

Ah, ok. :)

> Thank you for all your feedback.

;)