Quantcast

Getting ready for 5.4.2

12

Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to address that issue.
Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want to include?

Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Marvin Monroe
That blocker maybe?
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2391
The last comment makes it seem as if the fix would be a simple one-liner.

> Am 08.03.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to address that issue.
> Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want to include?
>
> Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I haven't
finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's weekend. Jochen,
if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later. Also, thank you
very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>

> due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to
> address that issue.
> Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want to
> include?
>
> Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

Am 08.03.2017 um 15:45 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I haven't
> finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's weekend. Jochen,
> if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later.

You want to do that for 5.4.x? Well, take your time. I'd like to call
the vote over the 5.4.2 release by the end of March.

 > Also, thank you very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)

I pushed the code to master for inspection. I'll probably merge it into
5.4.x in about 2 weeks if nobody objects.

Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 finished and committed to
both 5.4.2 and 5.5 (master). Feedback welcome!

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I
> haven't finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's weekend.
> Jochen, if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later. Also,
> thank you very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to
>> address that issue.
>> Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want
>> to include?
>>
>> Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Great. I just merged the tapestry-json changes into the 5.4.x branch.
I'll probably start a vote tomorrow.

Am 19.03.2017 um 21:59 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 finished and committed to
> both 5.4.2 and 5.5 (master). Feedback welcome!
>
> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I
>> haven't finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's weekend.
>> Jochen, if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later. Also,
>> thank you very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to
>>> address that issue.
>>> Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want
>>> to include?
>>>
>>> Jochen

>> Thiago

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Am 19.03.2017 um 21:59 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 finished and committed to
> both 5.4.2 and 5.5 (master). Feedback welcome!

./gradlew tapestry-beanvalidator:test --tests
org.apache.tapestry5.beanvalidator.integration.TapestryBeanValidationIntegrationTests.nested_object_validation

fails with a client-side error: dom.wrap(id).trigger is not a function

> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I
>> haven't finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's weekend.
>> Jochen, if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later. Also,
>> thank you very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> due to TAP5-2575 we'll probably have to release 5.4.2 soon. I'll try to
>>> address that issue.
>>> Is there anything we want to pick from master? Or anything else we want
>>> to include?
>>>
>>> Jochen

>> Thiago

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

Am 20.03.2017 um 09:53 schrieb Jochen Kemnade:
> Am 19.03.2017 um 21:59 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 finished and committed to
>> both 5.4.2 and 5.5 (master). Feedback welcome!
>
> ./gradlew tapestry-beanvalidator:test --tests
> org.apache.tapestry5.beanvalidator.integration.TapestryBeanValidationIntegrationTests.nested_object_validation

tapestry-core:testWithPrototype also fails.

I'd like to get 5.4.2 by this weekend. Thiago, can you please fix or
revert TAP5-2225 in the 5.4.x branch?

Thanks,
Jochen

> fails with a client-side error: dom.wrap(id).trigger is not a function
>

>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I
>>> haven't finished yet. I was planning to work on this next week's
>>> weekend.
>>> Jochen, if you want to go ahead, I can make another release later. Also,
>>> thank you very, very much for taking TAP5-2575. :)
>>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 7:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade
>>> <[hidden email]>

>>> --
>>> Thiago

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Hello, Jochen!

I'll  try to take a look and fix them before the weekend. If not, feel free
to revert it in the 5.4.x branch.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>

> Am 20.03.2017 um 09:53 schrieb Jochen Kemnade:
>
>> Am 19.03.2017 um 21:59 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 finished and committed
>>> both 5.4.2 and 5.5 (master). Feedback welcome!
>>>

>> ./gradlew tapestry-beanvalidator:test --tests
>> org.apache.tapestry5.beanvalidator.integration.TapestryBeanV
>> alidationIntegrationTests.nested_object_validation
>>

> tapestry-core:testWithPrototype also fails.
>
> I'd like to get 5.4.2 by this weekend. Thiago, can you please fix or
> revert TAP5-2225 in the 5.4.x branch?
>
> Thanks,
> Jochen
>

>> fails with a client-side error: dom.wrap(id).trigger is not a function
>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've started https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2225 but I

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Thiago,

I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:

The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript through the t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such function.

An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is not handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
if element instanceof ElementWrapper
  element = element.element

Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent annotation?

Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Btw.: Are there any tests for the new feature or just the demo page?

----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 9:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade [hidden email] wrote:

> Thiago,
>
> I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:
>
> The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
> It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript through the
> t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such function.
>
> An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is not
> handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
> if element instanceof ElementWrapper
>  element = element.element
>
> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine the url
> for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent annotation?
>
> Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thiago,

Hello!

> I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:
>
> The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
> It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript
> through the t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such
> function.

Oh, the annotation was the first thing I've wrote for this ticket and my
idea of what the JS API at the time for this would be. I'll fix this.

> An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is
> not handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
> if element instanceof ElementWrapper
>   element = element.element

Good catch! Thanks!

> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine
> the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent
> annotation?

Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
document this

The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo page
is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They should
match for each row.

Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?

Thank you very much!

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email] wrote:
>> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine
>> the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent
>> annotation?
>>

> Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
> leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
> document this

I think it is an error case and it should throw or warn. I usually try to adhere to the convention that if methods are named get*, it is an error if there is nothing to get, as opposed to find*.

> The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo page
> is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They should
> match for each row.

I'd appreciate if you added some tests.

> Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?

5.4.2 includes the feature in its current state.

Cheers,
Jochen

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Thiago,

do you think you'll find the time to address those issues in the near future? I'd rather create a new 5.4.2 release than shipping the current build with known issues.

Jochen

----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email] wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thiago,
>>

> Hello!
>

>> I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:
>>
>> The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
>> It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript
>> through the t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such
>> function.
>>

> Oh, the annotation was the first thing I've wrote for this ticket and my
> idea of what the JS API at the time for this would be. I'll fix this.
>

>> An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is
>> not handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
>> if element instanceof ElementWrapper
>>   element = element.element
>>

> Good catch! Thanks!
>

>> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine
>> the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent
>> annotation?
>>

> Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
> leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
> document this
>
> The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo page
> is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They should
> match for each row.
>
> Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?
>
> Thank you very much!

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Hello, Jochen!

I've investigated and I've found that the place I've added the getEventUrl
function in the Coffee file has caused some weird issues with the way the
JavaScript was output. I'm really not a fan of Coffee. But it's now fixed
in the 5.4.x branch and master and at least that tapestry-beanvalidation
test failure isn't happening anymore.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:02 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thiago,
>
> do you think you'll find the time to address those issues in the near
> future? I'd rather create a new 5.4.2 release than shipping the current
> build with known issues.
>
> Jochen
>
> ----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thiago,
> >>

> > Hello!
> >

> >> I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:
> >>
> >> The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
> >> It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript
> >> through the t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such
> >> function.
> >>

> > Oh, the annotation was the first thing I've wrote for this ticket and my
> > idea of what the JS API at the time for this would be. I'll fix this.
> >

> >> An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is
> >> not handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
> >> if element instanceof ElementWrapper
> >>   element = element.element
> >>

> > Good catch! Thanks!
> >

> >> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine
> >> the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent
> >> annotation?
> >>

> > Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
> > leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
> > document this
> >
> > The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo
> page
> > is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They
> should
> > match for each row.
> >
> > Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?
> >
> > Thank you very much!

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

Am 03.04.2017 um 00:35 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
> I've investigated and I've found that the place I've added the getEventUrl
> function in the Coffee file has caused some weird issues with the way the
> JavaScript was output.

Yes, I'd fixed that already in [1].

> I'm really not a fan of Coffee.

We can always switch back to JS or use ES6 with Babel. This is what I do
for all of my JS now.

I'll probably create another 5.4.2 release/vote next week, if you'd like
to address some of the other issues before then.

Jochen

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.git;a=blobdiff;f=tapestry-core/src/main/preprocessed-coffeescript/org/apache/tapestry5/t5-core-dom.coffee;h=97b2a0698d1da719411c43df4e6768665170fa89;hp=1f07d96e76997574b74fa57c3b88cc290a9a78a4;hb=589ff43b17f80db1698b1c30257f808588a8f5c8;hpb=ea4db57b91fc8153a553f78c7a10b043080d4ce9

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:02 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thiago,
>>
>> do you think you'll find the time to address those issues in the near
>> future? I'd rather create a new 5.4.2 release than shipping the current
>> build with known issues.
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>> ----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
>> [hidden email]>

>>> Hello!

>>> Oh, the annotation was the first thing I've wrote for this ticket and my
>>> idea of what the JS API at the time for this would be. I'll fix this.

>>> Good catch! Thanks!

>>> Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
>>> leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
>>> document this
>>>
>>> The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo
>> page
>>> is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They
>> should
>>> match for each row.
>>>
>>> Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>

Hello!

> Am 03.04.2017 um 00:35 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>
>> I've investigated and I've found that the place I've added the getEventUrl
>> function in the Coffee file has caused some weird issues with the way the
>> JavaScript was output.
>>

> Yes, I'd fixed that already in [1].

Thanks! I was working on the 5.4.2 branch first, so I hadn't noticed it and
ended up fixing it in the branch then merged into master.

> I'm really not a fan of Coffee.
>>

> We can always switch back to JS or use ES6 with Babel. This is what I do
> for all of my JS now.

Hmm, I wouldn't consider changing the whole JS codebase from Coffee to
vanilla JS, ES6 or not, a good use of *my* very scarce time for Tapestry.
Of course, if someone wants to do that, I'd love it. :) For my personal
projects, I'd start using TypeScript from now on. ES6 + ES7 + type checking.

> I'll probably create another 5.4.2 release/vote next week, if you'd like
> to address some of the other issues before then.

+1!

> Jochen
>
> [1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.git;a=b
> lobdiff;f=tapestry-core/src/main/preprocessed-coffeescript/
> org/apache/tapestry5/t5-core-dom.coffee;h=97b2a0698d1da7194
> 11c43df4e6768665170fa89;hp=1f07d96e76997574b74fa57c3b88cc290
> a9a78a4;hb=589ff43b17f80db1698b1c30257f808588a8f5c8;hpb=ea4d
> b57b91fc8153a553f78c7a10b043080d4ce9
>

>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:02 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thiago,
>>>
>>> do you think you'll find the time to address those issues in the near
>>> future? I'd rather create a new 5.4.2 release than shipping the current
>>> build with known issues.
>>>
>>> Jochen
>>>
>>> ----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
>>>>
>>> [hidden email]>

>>> page

>>> should

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Michael Gentry-2
On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm, I wouldn't consider changing the whole JS codebase from Coffee to
> vanilla JS, ES6 or not, a good use of *my* very scarce time for Tapestry.
> Of course, if someone wants to do that, I'd love it. :) For my personal
> projects, I'd start using TypeScript from now on. ES6 + ES7 + type
> checking.

Has there been any discussion of integrating TypeScript into Tapestry as a
native feature/option?  That would be high on my feature wish list.

Thanks,

mrg

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo

> Has there been any discussion of integrating TypeScript into Tapestry as a
> native feature/option?  That would be high on my feature wish list.

You mean on-the-fly compilation of TypeScript sources to JS? Hmm, that
would be hard, as the TypeScript compiler, as far as I know, is only
implemented as a Node.js package. There are a couple of Node-inside-the-JVM
projects like http://nodyn.io, but then I don't know how hard it would be
nor how it would perform. Anyway, that's something which would be nice to
have as a org.apache.tapestry5.services.assets.ResourceTransformer.

> Thanks,
>
> mrg

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

bobharner
As I understand it the Typescript compiler is written Typescript, which can
be compiled to JavaScript, and then that compiled compiler can be run in
any compliant JavaScript engine, including Rhino that Tapestry already
employs as well as the Nashorn engine built into Java 8. So it should be
possible. Maybe not easy, but possible.

On Apr 3, 2017 5:59 PM, "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Has there been any discussion of integrating TypeScript into Tapestry as
> > native feature/option?  That would be high on my feature wish list.
> >

> You mean on-the-fly compilation of TypeScript sources to JS? Hmm, that
> would be hard, as the TypeScript compiler, as far as I know, is only
> implemented as a Node.js package. There are a couple of Node-inside-the-JVM
> projects like http://nodyn.io, but then I don't know how hard it would be
> nor how it would perform. Anyway, that's something which would be nice to
> have as a org.apache.tapestry5.services.assets.ResourceTransformer.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > mrg

12