Getting ready for 5.4.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

Am 04.04.2017 um 13:05 schrieb Bob Harner:
> As I understand it the Typescript compiler is written Typescript, which can
> be compiled to JavaScript, and then that compiled compiler can be run in
> any compliant JavaScript engine, including Rhino that Tapestry already
> employs as well as the Nashorn engine built into Java 8.

Not if they use Node API, for example for file access etc. But even if
they do that, there are ways to get it to work. You could rely on Node
being available on the PATH and just execute it, which is what
tapestry-react [1] does.
Or you could install a Node distribution on the fly and use that.

Jochen

[1] https://github.com/eddyson-de/tapestry-react

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
In reply to this post by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Thiago,

the JavaDoc for PublishEvent is broken, please fix it.
https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/builds/218065676#L570
https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/jobs/217885298#L897

Jochen

Am 03.04.2017 um 15:01 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:

> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 3:45 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>
>
> Hello!
>
>
>> Am 03.04.2017 um 00:35 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>>
>>> I've investigated and I've found that the place I've added the getEventUrl
>>> function in the Coffee file has caused some weird issues with the way the
>>> JavaScript was output.
>>>
>>
>> Yes, I'd fixed that already in [1].
>
>
> Thanks! I was working on the 5.4.2 branch first, so I hadn't noticed it and
> ended up fixing it in the branch then merged into master.
>
>
>> I'm really not a fan of Coffee.
>>>
>>
>> We can always switch back to JS or use ES6 with Babel. This is what I do
>> for all of my JS now.
>>
>
> Hmm, I wouldn't consider changing the whole JS codebase from Coffee to
> vanilla JS, ES6 or not, a good use of *my* very scarce time for Tapestry.
> Of course, if someone wants to do that, I'd love it. :) For my personal
> projects, I'd start using TypeScript from now on. ES6 + ES7 + type checking.
>
>
>>
>> I'll probably create another 5.4.2 release/vote next week, if you'd like
>> to address some of the other issues before then.
>>
>
> +1!
>
>
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>> [1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=tapestry-5.git;a=b
>> lobdiff;f=tapestry-core/src/main/preprocessed-coffeescript/
>> org/apache/tapestry5/t5-core-dom.coffee;h=97b2a0698d1da7194
>> 11c43df4e6768665170fa89;hp=1f07d96e76997574b74fa57c3b88cc290
>> a9a78a4;hb=589ff43b17f80db1698b1c30257f808588a8f5c8;hpb=ea4d
>> b57b91fc8153a553f78c7a10b043080d4ce9
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:02 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
>>> [hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thiago,
>>>>
>>>> do you think you'll find the time to address those issues in the near
>>>> future? I'd rather create a new 5.4.2 release than shipping the current
>>>> build with known issues.
>>>>
>>>> Jochen
>>>>
>>>> ----- On Mar 24, 2017, at 1:25 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>>>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:03 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
>>>>>
>>>> [hidden email]>
>>>>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Thiago,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> Hello!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I've had a look at the new code and here's what I've found so far:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The @PublishEvent JavaDoc is misleading:
>>>>>> It says that the event handler method is "to be called in JavaScript
>>>>>> through the t5/core/triggerServerEvent function", but there is no such
>>>>>> function.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> Oh, the annotation was the first thing I've wrote for this ticket and my
>>>>> idea of what the JS API at the time for this would be. I'll fix this.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> An ElementWrapper (e.g. dom.body or dom('#foo')) passed as `element` is
>>>>>> not handled correctly by getEventUrl. You should probably add
>>>>>> if element instanceof ElementWrapper
>>>>>>   element = element.element
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> Good catch! Thanks!
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Shouldn't dom.getEventUrl throw or at least warn if it cannot determine
>>>>>> the url for the event, e.g. if you forget to add the @PublishEvent
>>>>>> annotation?
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> Right now it returns null. Well, another good idea. :) Or maybe we could
>>>>> leave the say it is and let the caller handle null values and properly
>>>>> document this
>>>>>
>>>>> The code I've wrote so far doesn't have automated tests, but the demo
>>>>>
>>>> page
>>>>
>>>>> is actually a test: notice the Expected and the Value columns. They
>>>>>
>>>> should
>>>>
>>>>> match for each row.
>>>>>
>>>>> Did you create 5.4.2 with or without this feature?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you very much!
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Lance Java
In reply to this post by Jochen Kemnade-3
There's a typescript gradle plugin

https://github.com/sothmann/typescript-gradle-plugin

The Tapestry build could use this at build time to convert Typescript to
Javascript which is published to maven central. So downstream consumers
wouldn't need nodejs installed

On 4 Apr 2017 12:13 p.m., "Jochen Kemnade" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 04.04.2017 um 13:05 schrieb Bob Harner:
>
>> As I understand it the Typescript compiler is written Typescript, which
>> can
>> be compiled to JavaScript, and then that compiled compiler can be run in
>> any compliant JavaScript engine, including Rhino that Tapestry already
>> employs as well as the Nashorn engine built into Java 8.
>>
>
> Not if they use Node API, for example for file access etc. But even if
> they do that, there are ways to get it to work. You could rely on Node
> being available on the PATH and just execute it, which is what
> tapestry-react [1] does.
> Or you could install a Node distribution on the fly and use that.
>
> Jochen
>
> [1] https://github.com/eddyson-de/tapestry-react
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
In reply to this post by Jochen Kemnade-3
On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thiago,
>

Hello, Jochen!


> the JavaDoc for PublishEvent is broken, please fix it.
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/builds/218065676#L570
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/jobs/217885298#L897


Thanks for noticing it. I've just fixed it in both master and 5.4.2.

Are the Travis builds configured to send e-mails to any Tapestry mailing
list? I didn't get any e-mails from them.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

----- On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email] wrote:
> Are the Travis builds configured to send e-mails to any Tapestry mailing
> list? I didn't get any e-mails from them.

I tried to configure that [1] but it doesn't work. Apparently, you can only have emails delivered to an address that's registered with both Travis and Github [2].

Jochen

[1] https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications/#Configuring-email-notifications
[2] https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/notifications/#Missing-build-notifications

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
In reply to this post by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Now, dom.getEventUrl is broken on both branches.
Thiago, can you please add tests?

----- On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thiago,
>>
>
> Hello, Jochen!
>
>
>> the JavaDoc for PublishEvent is broken, please fix it.
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/builds/218065676#L570
>> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/jobs/217885298#L897
>
>
> Thanks for noticing it. I've just fixed it in both master and 5.4.2.
>
> Are the Travis builds configured to send e-mails to any Tapestry mailing
> list? I didn't get any e-mails from them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Hello, Jochen!

dom.getEventUrl fixed (again, a Coffee issue, a missing return statement
makes the function return something else) and test added (I had already
written it, but somehow it didn't make it to Git). Build failed and I'll
take a look tomorrow. The test I've added passes locally but it's failing
in Travis. I'll rewrite it a little bit.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Now, dom.getEventUrl is broken on both branches.
> Thiago, can you please add tests?
>
> ----- On Apr 4, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:37 AM, Jochen Kemnade <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thiago,
> >>
> >
> > Hello, Jochen!
> >
> >
> >> the JavaDoc for PublishEvent is broken, please fix it.
> >> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/builds/218065676#L570
> >> https://travis-ci.org/apache/tapestry-5/jobs/217885298#L897
> >
> >
> > Thanks for noticing it. I've just fixed it in both master and 5.4.2.
> >
> > Are the Travis builds configured to send e-mails to any Tapestry mailing
> > list? I didn't get any e-mails from them.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Thiago
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

Am 06.04.2017 um 04:52 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
> The test I've added passes locally but it's failing
> in Travis. I'll rewrite it a little bit.

It works with jQuery but fails with Prototype.

Jochen

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Jochen Kemnade-3
Should be fixed now.

Am 06.04.2017 um 10:50 schrieb Jochen Kemnade:

> Hi,
>
> Am 06.04.2017 um 04:52 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>> The test I've added passes locally but it's failing
>> in Travis. I'll rewrite it a little bit.
>
> It works with jQuery but fails with Prototype.
>
> Jochen
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Getting ready for 5.4.2

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
Thank you very much for your help and time, Jochen!

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Should be fixed now.
>
>
> Am 06.04.2017 um 10:50 schrieb Jochen Kemnade:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 06.04.2017 um 04:52 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo:
>>
>>> The test I've added passes locally but it's failing
>>> in Travis. I'll rewrite it a little bit.
>>>
>>
>> It works with jQuery but fails with Prototype.
>>
>> Jochen
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


--
Thiago
12