Howard deserves praise

Emmanuel Sowah
Hi guys,

Is it me, or you too have noticed an active participation of Howard in the
answering of questions here on the list in recent
times?
In the past when Tapestry was popular his ego and pompous attitude made him
feel too high to even bother to read people's request for help.
But now with the rising of excellent frameworks like GWT and Wicket all
offering an excellent alternative to Tapestry his ego has dropped massively
and he has resorted
back to basics. He started like this anyway and I'm personally glad he's
going back to his roots. He deserved to be praised for turning back to the
humble Howard I knew when Tapestry started in the beginning.  It's rather
unfortunate that competetion had to awaken him. This is a real example of
the popular saying that
goes "Competition is a good thing", though. Having said that, I must also
mention that this might be too late to save Tapestry.
Looking at the traffic the past times here on the list, one can see there is
a serious reduction in the use of Tapestry. And that bothers me.
I persnally think Tapestry had dipped into a deep coma. And from what I know
many that fall in coma ultimately come out dead.
Though I'm still hoping for the best for Tapestry. I have a huge codebase
written in Tapestry. I don't want to go
the route like theserverside.com went by ditching Tapestry and starting all
over again.

Regards,
Emmanuel

Re: Howard deserves praise

Davor Hrg
TROLL !!

On Feb 11, 2008 4:24 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Is it me, or you too have noticed an active participation of Howard in the
> answering of questions here on the list in recent
> times?
> In the past when Tapestry was popular his ego and pompous attitude made him
> feel too high to even bother to read people's request for help.
> But now with the rising of excellent frameworks like GWT and Wicket all
> offering an excellent alternative to Tapestry his ego has dropped massively
> and he has resorted
> back to basics. He started like this anyway and I'm personally glad he's
> going back to his roots. He deserved to be praised for turning back to the
> humble Howard I knew when Tapestry started in the beginning.  It's rather
> unfortunate that competetion had to awaken him. This is a real example of
> the popular saying that
> goes "Competition is a good thing", though. Having said that, I must also
> mention that this might be too late to save Tapestry.
> Looking at the traffic the past times here on the list, one can see there is
> a serious reduction in the use of Tapestry. And that bothers me.
> I persnally think Tapestry had dipped into a deep coma. And from what I know
> many that fall in coma ultimately come out dead.
> Though I'm still hoping for the best for Tapestry. I have a huge codebase
> written in Tapestry. I don't want to go
> the route like theserverside.com went by ditching Tapestry and starting all
> over again.
>
> Regards,
> Emmanuel

Re: Howard deserves praise

Howard Lewis Ship
Don't even bother to respond, just delete the message.  Anything else
just tweaks the troll.

On Feb 11, 2008 8:30 AM, Davor Hrg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> TROLL !!
>
> On Feb 11, 2008 4:24 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Is it me, or you too have noticed an active participation of Howard in the
> > answering of questions here on the list in recent
> > times?
> > In the past when Tapestry was popular his ego and pompous attitude made him
> > feel too high to even bother to read people's request for help.
> > But now with the rising of excellent frameworks like GWT and Wicket all
> > offering an excellent alternative to Tapestry his ego has dropped massively
> > and he has resorted
> > back to basics. He started like this anyway and I'm personally glad he's
> > going back to his roots. He deserved to be praised for turning back to the
> > humble Howard I knew when Tapestry started in the beginning.  It's rather
> > unfortunate that competetion had to awaken him. This is a real example of
> > the popular saying that
> > goes "Competition is a good thing", though. Having said that, I must also
> > mention that this might be too late to save Tapestry.
> > Looking at the traffic the past times here on the list, one can see there is
> > a serious reduction in the use of Tapestry. And that bothers me.
> > I persnally think Tapestry had dipped into a deep coma. And from what I know
> > many that fall in coma ultimately come out dead.
> > Though I'm still hoping for the best for Tapestry. I have a huge codebase
> > written in Tapestry. I don't want to go
> > the route like theserverside.com went by ditching Tapestry and starting all
> > over again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Emmanuel

RE: Howard deserves praise

JWiegman
Can we just remove him from the list?  That's not the first time he's
written a very spectacularly uninformed troll.

Don't even bother to respond, just delete the message.  Anything else
just tweaks the troll.

On Feb 11, 2008 8:30 AM, Davor Hrg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> TROLL !!
>
> On Feb 11, 2008 4:24 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Is it me, or you too have noticed an active participation of Howard
> > in the answering of questions here on the list in recent times?
> > In the past when Tapestry was popular his ego and pompous attitude
> > made him feel too high to even bother to read people's request for
help.

> > But now with the rising of excellent frameworks like GWT and Wicket
> > all offering an excellent alternative to Tapestry his ego has
> > dropped massively and he has resorted back to basics. He started
> > like this anyway and I'm personally glad he's going back to his
> > roots. He deserved to be praised for turning back to the humble
> > Howard I knew when Tapestry started in the beginning.  It's rather
> > unfortunate that competetion had to awaken him. This is a real
> > example of the popular saying that goes "Competition is a good
> > thing", though. Having said that, I must also mention that this
> > might be too late to save Tapestry.
> > Looking at the traffic the past times here on the list, one can see
> > there is a serious reduction in the use of Tapestry. And that
bothers me.

> > I persnally think Tapestry had dipped into a deep coma. And from
> > what I know many that fall in coma ultimately come out dead.
> > Though I'm still hoping for the best for Tapestry. I have a huge
> > codebase written in Tapestry. I don't want to go the route like
> > theserverside.com went by ditching Tapestry and starting all over
> > again.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Emmanuel

Re: Howard deserves praise

nirvdrum
You could, but email addresses are quite easy to come by and he'd likely
just register as someone else.  So, it's not even worth the effort.

--
Kevin

On 2/11/08 12:00 PM, in article
[hidden email],
"Joel Wiegman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we just remove him from the list?  That's not the first time he's
> written a very spectacularly uninformed troll.

Re: Howard deserves praise

Norman Franke-2
To hijack this thread, I do think Howard deserves praise!

I've really been enjoying Tapestry 4.1, although I haven't played
with 5 yet since I'm currently busy with some other non-web projects.
My boss, in particular, was impress that tapestry could query our
database and display a web page FASTER than our main app (written in
C) can query the DB and display the data on it's own. We are using
Tapestry pages now for more of our back office accessed via a web-
window in our main app, and it's been great.

I do agree that we ALL could do a better job with evangelism. Some
projects naturally attract evangelists (think Ruby on Rails, which I
gave up on very, very early as unsuitable.) Personally, I'm too busy
developing to read and post on general java and web forums/lists. I
selected Tapestry because it was, in my evaluation, the best, not
because it's the most popular. I wanted fast and powerful.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com

On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> Don't even bother to respond, just delete the message.  Anything else
> just tweaks the troll.

Re: Howard deserves praise

Howard Lewis Ship
On Feb 11, 2008 10:18 AM, Norman Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To hijack this thread, I do think Howard deserves praise!

Thanks!

> I've really been enjoying Tapestry 4.1, although I haven't played
> with 5 yet since I'm currently busy with some other non-web projects.
> My boss, in particular, was impress that tapestry could query our
> database and display a web page FASTER than our main app (written in
> C) can query the DB and display the data on it's own. We are using
> Tapestry pages now for more of our back office accessed via a web-
> window in our main app, and it's been great.

You're going to love T5 then, since it's much faster.

With the live class reloading, when I have a question about an API or
something, I'm often finding it faster to whip up a quick T5 page than
to write a console app. I get the benefits of rich HTML output and
usually Tapestry (via Grid or Loop) can display the data for me easier
than I could code up println()'s and loops.

> I do agree that we ALL could do a better job with evangelism. Some
> projects naturally attract evangelists (think Ruby on Rails, which I
> gave up on very, very early as unsuitable.) Personally, I'm too busy
> developing to read and post on general java and web forums/lists. I
> selected Tapestry because it was, in my evaluation, the best, not
> because it's the most popular. I wanted fast and powerful.

I want fast, powerful and most popular.  Two out of three is a start.

> Norman Franke
> Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
> www.myasd.com
>

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > Don't even bother to respond, just delete the message.  Anything else
> > just tweaks the troll.

Re: Howard deserves praise

Ektschn
My praise too, to Howard and the whole tapestry team. You should be glad for having those great open source projects, which enable you to do your work. If you don't like it, leave it.

We are using tapestry 5 in three applications production environments, and it works without any mayor annoyances - considering that it is not released yet, very good. All the advantages outweight by far the small problems you might have sometimes because it's not a full release yet.

Tapestry 5 is easy, fast, and powerful. I don't want to switch to any other web framework, thanks for that. T5 users use their time for coding, not evangelizing, I agree with that. It just works.

Howard Lewis Ship wrote
On Feb 11, 2008 10:18 AM, Norman Franke <norman@myasd.com> wrote:
> To hijack this thread, I do think Howard deserves praise!

Thanks!

> I've really been enjoying Tapestry 4.1, although I haven't played
> with 5 yet since I'm currently busy with some other non-web projects.
> My boss, in particular, was impress that tapestry could query our
> database and display a web page FASTER than our main app (written in
> C) can query the DB and display the data on it's own. We are using
> Tapestry pages now for more of our back office accessed via a web-
> window in our main app, and it's been great.

You're going to love T5 then, since it's much faster.

With the live class reloading, when I have a question about an API or
something, I'm often finding it faster to whip up a quick T5 page than
to write a console app. I get the benefits of rich HTML output and
usually Tapestry (via Grid or Loop) can display the data for me easier
than I could code up println()'s and loops.

> I do agree that we ALL could do a better job with evangelism. Some
> projects naturally attract evangelists (think Ruby on Rails, which I
> gave up on very, very early as unsuitable.) Personally, I'm too busy
> developing to read and post on general java and web forums/lists. I
> selected Tapestry because it was, in my evaluation, the best, not
> because it's the most popular. I wanted fast and powerful.

I want fast, powerful and most popular.  Two out of three is a start.

> Norman Franke
> Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
> www.myasd.com
>

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
> > Don't even bother to respond, just delete the message.  Anything else
> > just tweaks the troll.

RE: Howard deserves praise

jonabarker

Aw, can't we please keep him?  I mean, as trolls go, he's doesn't require
much upkeep.

I've come to look forward to his occasional rants for their entertainment
value.  He plays the buffoon so well, and as the offers of fortunes from
Nigeria has slowed to a trickle I crave something to fill that literary
void.

Jonathan

Re: Howard deserves praise

Denis McCarthy-2
We are using T5 and are really happy with it. I know this probably isn't the
place (but it seemed as good as anywhere else to be honest) but
there's one feature we'd like to see: in the T5 site docs, the section on
AJAX says under the 'Zone Limitations' subsection that

'Currently, the partial page content that is rendered may *not* use an
Environmental services. This is expected to change soon.'

Not to sound too cheeky, but is there any way of getting a more concrete
idea as to when we will be able to inject Environmental services? Our
application
would benefit greatly from being able to write AJAX components using
Environmental services, and it would be the missing piece in the jigsaw as
far
as we are concerned

Thanks again for a great framework

Denis

Re: Howard deserves praise

Howard Lewis Ship
That doc is out of date, the partial stuff came along a lot in 5.0.9
and 5.0.10 and will come along further in 5.0.11.  Environmentals
(PageRenderSupport, Heartbeat, ZoneSupport) are all working in 5.0.9
and 5.0.10.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Denis McCarthy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are using T5 and are really happy with it. I know this probably isn't the
>  place (but it seemed as good as anywhere else to be honest) but
>  there's one feature we'd like to see: in the T5 site docs, the section on
>  AJAX says under the 'Zone Limitations' subsection that
>
>  'Currently, the partial page content that is rendered may *not* use an
>  Environmental services. This is expected to change soon.'
>
>  Not to sound too cheeky, but is there any way of getting a more concrete
>  idea as to when we will be able to inject Environmental services? Our
>  application
>  would benefit greatly from being able to write AJAX components using
>  Environmental services, and it would be the missing piece in the jigsaw as
>  far
>  as we are concerned
>
>  Thanks again for a great framework
>
>  Denis

Re: Howard deserves praise

Denis McCarthy-2
Great - I'll give it a whirl.

On 14/02/2008, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That doc is out of date, the partial stuff came along a lot in 5.0.9
> and 5.0.10 and will come along further in 5.0.11.  Environmentals
> (PageRenderSupport, Heartbeat, ZoneSupport) are all working in 5.0.9
> and 5.0.10.
>

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Denis McCarthy
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We are using T5 and are really happy with it. I know this probably isn't
> the
> >  place (but it seemed as good as anywhere else to be honest) but
> >  there's one feature we'd like to see: in the T5 site docs, the section
> on
> >  AJAX says under the 'Zone Limitations' subsection that
> >
> >  'Currently, the partial page content that is rendered may *not* use an
> >  Environmental services. This is expected to change soon.'
> >
> >  Not to sound too cheeky, but is there any way of getting a more
> concrete
> >  idea as to when we will be able to inject Environmental services? Our
> >  application
> >  would benefit greatly from being able to write AJAX components using
> >  Environmental services, and it would be the missing piece in the jigsaw
> as
> >  far
> >  as we are concerned
> >
> >  Thanks again for a great framework
> >
> >  Denis
> >

> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Howard deserves praise

Patrick Moriarty
Thanks Howard, any news on when we can expect FormSupport to be available?

Render queue error in SetupRender[xxx/xxx.xxx]: No object of type
org.apache.tapestry.services.FormSupport is available from the Environment.
Available types are org.apache.tapestry.PageRenderSupport,
org.apache.tapestry.ValidationDecorator,
org.apache.tapestry.internal.services.ZoneSetup,
org.apache.tapestry.services.Heartbeat.

On 14/02/2008, Denis McCarthy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great - I'll give it a whirl.
>

> On 14/02/2008, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > That doc is out of date, the partial stuff came along a lot in 5.0.9
> > and 5.0.10 and will come along further in 5.0.11.  Environmentals
> > (PageRenderSupport, Heartbeat, ZoneSupport) are all working in 5.0.9
> > and 5.0.10.
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Denis McCarthy
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > We are using T5 and are really happy with it. I know this probably
> isn't
> > the
> > >  place (but it seemed as good as anywhere else to be honest) but
> > >  there's one feature we'd like to see: in the T5 site docs, the
> section
> > on
> > >  AJAX says under the 'Zone Limitations' subsection that
> > >
> > >  'Currently, the partial page content that is rendered may *not* use
> an
> > >  Environmental services. This is expected to change soon.'
> > >
> > >  Not to sound too cheeky, but is there any way of getting a more
> > concrete
> > >  idea as to when we will be able to inject Environmental services? Our
> > >  application
> > >  would benefit greatly from being able to write AJAX components using
> > >  Environmental services, and it would be the missing piece in the
> jigsaw
> > as
> > >  far
> > >  as we are concerned
> > >
> > >  Thanks again for a great framework
> > >
> > >  Denis
> > >

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >
> > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind

Re: Howard deserves praise

Howard Lewis Ship
Looks like you are trying to use Zone to extend an existing Form on
the fly.  That's something I'm working on this week.  I consider it
the last major hurdle.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Patrick Moriarty
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  > jigsaw
>  > > as
>  > > >  far
>  > > >  as we are concerned
>  > > >
>  > > >  Thanks again for a great framework
>  > > >
>  > > >  Denis
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
>  > >
>  > > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind
>  > >
>  > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>  > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>  > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Howard deserves praise

Patrick Moriarty
Nice one, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it!

On 25/02/2008, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> using
> >  > > >  Environmental services, and it would be the missing piece in the
> >  > jigsaw
> >  > > as
> >  > > >  far
> >  > > >  as we are concerned
> >  > > >
> >  > > >  Thanks again for a great framework
> >  > > >
> >  > > >  Denis
> >  > > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > --
> >  > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> >  > >
> >  > > Creator Apache Tapestry and Apache HiveMind
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Howard deserves praise

Michael Lake-2
Extending an existing form on the fly with AJAX? That's precisely what I
need right now.

Unfortunately I need to have my project done by the end of the month
(luckily it's leap-year, right?)