Quantcast

Implementing a "bottomless" grid

Davide Vecchi
Hi everybody,

Before starting to code this myself, I'm trying to find out if there already exists some component or mixin to apply to the grid to do something similar, or if Tapestry has support for this in other ways. Also, any thought about this subject would be welcome.

By "bottomless" I mean a grid that doesn't have the GridPager with the page numbers the user can click to paginate through the list of rows, and instead it has a clickable "Load [N] more rows" element that will append to the currently displayed rows the next N rows found in the datasource. Also a clickable element to go directly to the end of the list would be useful.

The grid would have its own vertical scrollbar. If the scrollbar itself causes the loading of the next rows when scrolling to its bottom, that would be OK and in that case I wouldn't need the "Load more rows" clickable element.

There might be more grids in the same page, so each grid must be in its own zone and its rows be scrollable independently, without having to scroll the page itself.

Thanks for any possible thought.

Re: Implementing a "bottomless" grid

David Diaz
Hi Davide,

Try checking out https://github.com/eddyson-de/tapestry-extensions, this
might have what you are looking for (InfiniGrid), or at least give you an
idea on what you need to do.

If you want the grid to be in it's own scrollbar, you should put it in a
style overflow-y: scroll;.

Thanks,
David.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Davide Vecchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Before starting to code this myself, I'm trying to find out if there
> already exists some component or mixin to apply to the grid to do something
> similar, or if Tapestry has support for this in other ways. Also, any
> thought about this subject would be welcome.
>
> By "bottomless" I mean a grid that doesn't have the GridPager with the
> page numbers the user can click to paginate through the list of rows, and
> instead it has a clickable "Load [N] more rows" element that will append to
> the currently displayed rows the next N rows found in the datasource. Also
> a clickable element to go directly to the end of the list would be useful.
>
> The grid would have its own vertical scrollbar. If the scrollbar itself
> causes the loading of the next rows when scrolling to its bottom, that
> would be OK and in that case I wouldn't need the "Load more rows" clickable
> element.
>
> There might be more grids in the same page, so each grid must be in its
> own zone and its rows be scrollable independently, without having to scroll
> the page itself.
>
> Thanks for any possible thought.

RE: Implementing a "bottomless" grid

Davide Vecchi
Hi David,

Thanks for the information, that might be just what I am looking for. If I come up with something generic enough to be of interest to other people, I will post back here. Thanks also for the tip about the scrollbar.

Davide

If you want the grid to be in it's own scrollbar, you should put it in a <div> and then set the height to be some fixed height, and give it the style overflow-y: scroll;.

Thanks,
David.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Davide Vecchi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Before starting to code this myself, I'm trying to find out if there
> already exists some component or mixin to apply to the grid to do
> something similar, or if Tapestry has support for this in other ways.
> Also, any thought about this subject would be welcome.
>
> By "bottomless" I mean a grid that doesn't have the GridPager with the
> page numbers the user can click to paginate through the list of rows,
> and instead it has a clickable "Load [N] more rows" element that will
> append to the currently displayed rows the next N rows found in the
> datasource. Also a clickable element to go directly to the end of the list would be useful.
>
> The grid would have its own vertical scrollbar. If the scrollbar
> itself causes the loading of the next rows when scrolling to its
> bottom, that would be OK and in that case I wouldn't need the "Load
> more rows" clickable element.
>
> There might be more grids in the same page, so each grid must be in
> its own zone and its rows be scrollable independently, without having
> to scroll the page itself.
>
> Thanks for any possible thought.

FW: Implementing a "bottomless" grid

Davide Vecchi
When I add tapestry-extensions to my build.gradle as per the instructions in the github link below, I see that Gradle downloads Tapestry 5.4.1, as well as several dependencies of it.

The problem is that our webapp is on Tapestry 5.3.8 and there are no imminent plans to upgrade. So I will remove that build.gradle change, download tapestry-extensions and add it to my project as a local library, and try tapestry-extensions with Tapestry 5.3.8 .

So if someone knows that tapestry-extensions cannot work with Tapestry 5.3.8 or that specific provisions are needed, it would greatly help me to know that.

Thanks

Davide

Thanks for the information, that might be just what I am looking for. If I come up with something generic enough to be of interest to other people, I will post back here. Thanks also for the tip about the scrollbar.

Davide

If you want the grid to be in it's own scrollbar, you should put it in a <div> and then set the height to be some fixed height, and give it the style overflow-y: scroll;.

Thanks,
David.

FW: Implementing a "bottomless" grid

Davide Vecchi
JFI, it doesn't seem possible to me to use tapestry-extensions with Tapestry 5.3.8 , as it uses classes that don't exist in 5.3.8 , for example
org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.annotations.ImportModule . Fair enough, I gave it a shot. If at some point we update our Tapestry I will go back to looking into this library though, because it seems to have many very useful features and a very consistent and easy way to use them.