Migrating Tapestry 3.0 to 5.x

dhanaraja
Hi ,

Currently we are running Tapestry 3.0 along with JDK 1.x and Wepsphere 6.x
on AS400 5.4

We are in the process of migrating our operating system AS400 5.4 to  7.4
which forces us to migrate our JDK version from 1.x to 1.8.

Hence we need to change our application server as well from WebSphere 6.x
to 8.5 (assumption) which supports JDK 1.8

1.Do we need to migrate our Tapestry version as well to the latest one 5.x
to make it work with JDK 1.8?
2.Suppose if we migrate our Tapestry 3.0 to 5.4 does it require any code
change?

This is kind of a 20 year old application . Any guidance would be highly
appreciated .

Regards,
Dhana

--
DISCLAIMER

The information transmitted, including any attachments, is
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any form of reproduction,
dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or
publication of this message without the prior written consent of the author
of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email by
mistake, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. Email
transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure, or error free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost or destroyed as a result
of the transmission process. Views or opinions presented in this email are
Company. Through this e-mail, no employee or agent is authorized to
conclude/commit any new or incidental terms, which are not part of the
original contract with the client or vendor, other than by way of duly
executed and signed amendment contract between the parties in accordance
with the agreed protocol of the contract. Please be aware that the Company
monitors e-mail communications through our networks for regulatory
compliance purposes. Thirdware Solution Ltd. and its related divisions
consider the privacy of its clients to be of utmost importance and works to
protect it. The Privacy Policy of the Company can be accessed from our
website.www.thirdware.com <http://www.thirdware.com>

Re: Migrating Tapestry 3.0 to 5.x

vlamp
Hi Dhana,

According to the information provided through the Tapestry website (http://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html), Tapestry 5.3.8 is the first release to support Java 8. Consider using the current release, 5.4.5, though, as it also supports Java 8 and has numerous improvements over 5.3.

I understand Tapestry 5 is significantly different from Tapestry 4 (and 3), so I doubt you can just take your existing code, throw it into Tapestry 5 an go. Can‘t tell out of own experience, however, since I got started only with Tapestry 5.

Best wishes,

Volker

Re: Migrating Tapestry 3.0 to 5.x

Cezary Biernacki

Tapestry 5 is very different than Tapestry 3. They share the name and an
idea of component-based programming, but nearly everything else is changed.
If your application has non-trivial size, you probably would have better
luck porting Tapestry 3 to run Java 8, rather port the application to
Tapestry 5.

Cezary

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 5:25 AM Dhanaraja Rajendiran <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Currently we are running Tapestry 3.0 along with JDK 1.x and Wepsphere 6.x
> on AS400 5.4
>
> We are in the process of migrating our operating system AS400 5.4 to  7.4
> which forces us to migrate our JDK version from 1.x to 1.8.
>
> Hence we need to change our application server as well from WebSphere 6.x
> to 8.5 (assumption) which supports JDK 1.8
>
> 1.Do we need to migrate our Tapestry version as well to the latest one 5.x
> to make it work with JDK 1.8?
> 2.Suppose if we migrate our Tapestry 3.0 to 5.4 does it require any code
> change?
>

> This is kind of a 20 year old application . Any guidance would be highly
> appreciated .
>
> Regards,
> Dhana
>
> --
> DISCLAIMER
>

> The information transmitted, including any attachments, is
> intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
> contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any form of reproduction,
> dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or
> publication of this message without the prior written consent of the
> author
> of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email by
> mistake, please advise the sender and delete it immediately. Email
> transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure, or error free as
> information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost or destroyed as a result
> of the transmission process. Views or opinions presented in this email are
> solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
> Company. Through this e-mail, no employee or agent is authorized to
> conclude/commit any new or incidental terms, which are not part of the
> original contract with the client or vendor, other than by way of duly
> executed and signed amendment contract between the parties in accordance
> with the agreed protocol of the contract. Please be aware that the Company
> monitors e-mail communications through our networks for regulatory
> compliance purposes. Thirdware Solution Ltd. and its related divisions
> consider the privacy of its clients to be of utmost importance and works
> protect it. The Privacy Policy of the Company can be accessed from our
> website.www.thirdware.com <http://www.thirdware.com>

Re: Migrating Tapestry 3.0 to 5.x

dhanaraja
Hi  Cezary,

Thanks for the response.
Let me check on the JDK migration from 1.5 to 1.8 and try run Tapestry 3.x
on JDK 1.8 . Since we are new to Tapestry could you please suggest us the
suitable application server to run *Tapestry 3.x and JDK 1.8* ?

*Note:* Right now the application using *Webspehere 6.x* as an
application server

Regards,
Dhana

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 1:41 AM Cezary Biernacki <[hidden email]>