Money Field

abangkis
Hi, i want to create a money/currency field but get confused on what the
right approach.

I've been looking at custom validator, translator, mixin, even extending
tapestry TextField it self.

Basically the requirements is:
- When the user type 100000, it will be shown as a certain format (ex:
100.000)
- There's a possibility/optional parameter that you can show the currency
symbol ($100.000)

Can anyone give a little bit direction? Thanks

--
http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

Re: Money Field

JumpStart
You’ll find some techniques in here:

http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators <http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators>
http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators <http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators>

If you are handling multiple currencies, consider using the datatype org.joda.money.Money throughout, except in the entity convert it to BigDecimal and a String currencyCode, and the database use decimal and varchar, respectively.

HTH,

Geoff

> On 26 Jul 2018, at 11:38 pm, abangkis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, i want to create a money/currency field but get confused on what the
> right approach.
>
> I've been looking at custom validator, translator, mixin, even extending
> tapestry TextField it self.
>
> Basically the requirements is:
> - When the user type 100000, it will be shown as a certain format (ex:
> 100.000)
> - There's a possibility/optional parameter that you can show the currency
> symbol ($100.000)
>
> Can anyone give a little bit direction? Thanks
>
> --
> http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
> twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
> page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

Re: Money Field

abangkis
Hi geoff, thanks for the link. I was actually looking at the money
translator when I  first researching. But i stumbled on the requirement
that it will format the entry when user typing the value. I looked it up,
some suggest it can be done using javascript. So I started looking at
mixins.

The currency is only an extra label for now, appended at the front of
formatted input. So it's possible to just use parameters and didn't save it
to the database. But the Joda money is interesting, it will help if we want
to support multiple currencies stored in the db. Thanks.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:14 AM JumpStart <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> You’ll find some techniques in here:
>

> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators
> <
> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators
> >

> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators
> <
> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators
> >

> If you are handling multiple currencies, consider using the datatype
> org.joda.money.Money throughout, except in the entity convert it to
> BigDecimal and a String currencyCode, and the database use decimal and
> varchar, respectively.
>
> HTH,
>
> Geoff
>
> > On 26 Jul 2018, at 11:38 pm, abangkis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i want to create a money/currency field but get confused on what the
> > right approach.
> >
> > I've been looking at custom validator, translator, mixin, even extending
> > tapestry TextField it self.
> >
> > Basically the requirements is:
> > - When the user type 100000, it will be shown as a certain format (ex:
> > 100.000)
> > - There's a possibility/optional parameter that you can show the currency
> > symbol ($100.000)
> >
> > Can anyone give a little bit direction? Thanks
> >
> > --
> > http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
> > twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
> > page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

--
http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

Re: Money Field

abangkis
I found an interesting link
https://flaviocopes.com/how-to-format-number-as-currency-javascript/

Using the ECMAScript Internationalization API, we can let the browser do
the formatting. Now all i need is find/build a mixin that update the value
when user typing the input. And to get the real value when submitting to
the server.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 10:32 AM abangkis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi geoff, thanks for the link. I was actually looking at the money
> translator when I  first researching. But i stumbled on the requirement
> that it will format the entry when user typing the value. I looked it up,
> some suggest it can be done using javascript. So I started looking at
> mixins.
>
> The currency is only an extra label for now, appended at the front of
> formatted input. So it's possible to just use parameters and didn't save it
> to the database. But the Joda money is interesting, it will help if we want
> to support multiple currencies stored in the db. Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:14 AM JumpStart <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You’ll find some techniques in here:
>>

>> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators
>> <
>> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/augmentingtranslators
>> >

>> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators
>> <
>> http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/examples/input/contributingtranslators
>> >

>> If you are handling multiple currencies, consider using the datatype
>> org.joda.money.Money throughout, except in the entity convert it to
>> BigDecimal and a String currencyCode, and the database use decimal and
>> varchar, respectively.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Geoff
>>
>> > On 26 Jul 2018, at 11:38 pm, abangkis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi, i want to create a money/currency field but get confused on what the
>> > right approach.
>> >
>> > I've been looking at custom validator, translator, mixin, even extending
>> > tapestry TextField it self.
>> >
>> > Basically the requirements is:
>> > - When the user type 100000, it will be shown as a certain format (ex:
>> > 100.000)
>> > - There's a possibility/optional parameter that you can show the
>> currency
>> > symbol ($100.000)
>> >
>> > Can anyone give a little bit direction? Thanks
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
>> > twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
>> > page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771
>>

> --
> http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
> twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
> page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

--
http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771

Re: Money Field

JumpStart
Thank you for pointing that out. Looks great. The only hiccup is if you need to support IE 10 or earlier which, fortunately, I don’t!