Quantcast

Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

12

Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
Hi all,

I built Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor - TapestryTools [1]
as GSoC 2011 project. Now, we plan to improve this tool and keep it as
a GSoC 2012 project, before we start real develop job, we need
feedback from you guys. Welcome to hava a trial of it, this is the
guide [2] about how to install it, and we also have a video about how
to use this tool.

If you have any advises about it or you need some new features, please
let me know. Thank you.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide
[3] http://tapestrytools.googlecode.com/files/tapestrytools.mov

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Dmitry Gusev
Hi, Gavin!

Thats a big step forward. But, still, I think that a huge limitation of
TapestryTools is that it can't be plugged-into existing Eclipse Java EE
installation through the Help -> Install New Software.... I wish this will
be resolved in future releases.

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
Yeah, this is really a problem, if we want to do so, TapestryTools
must keep pace with Eclipse WTP's version. I will try to contact with
Eclipse WTP community and try to merge TapestryTools into WTP, if
fail, i will find a way to optimize its structure and reduce its
version depend things to simplify install progress.

2012/2/3 Dmitry Gusev <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, Gavin!
>
> Thats a big step forward. But, still, I think that a huge limitation of
> TapestryTools is that it can't be plugged-into existing Eclipse Java EE
> installation through the Help -> Install New Software.... I wish this will
> be resolved in future releases.
>
> 2012/2/3 Gavin Lei <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I built Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor - TapestryTools [1]
>> as GSoC 2011 project. Now, we plan to improve this tool and keep it as
>> a GSoC 2012 project, before we start real develop job, we need
>> feedback from you guys. Welcome to hava a trial of it, this is the
>> guide [2] about how to install it, and we also have a video about how
>> to use this tool.
>>
>> If you have any advises about it or you need some new features, please
>> let me know. Thank you.
>>
>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/
>> [2]
>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide
>> [3] http://tapestrytools.googlecode.com/files/tapestrytools.mov

> Dmitry Gusev
>
> AnjLab Team
> http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

chris@opencsta.org
Hi Gavin,

Great project thus far!!  A tool like that within eclipse will certainly get more people looking at tapestry as a framework to use.
I initially thought Dmitry's comment was a little harsh and that he was being a bit fussy requesting the installation through Help->Install New Software

But I have to say, there's one thing I find really unproductive - and that is fixing my dev environment when it breaks.  I'm back on Helios and that directory listing is a little too intimidating for me to try with the current number of projects I'm mucking around with.

Sorry I couldn't test it first-hand for you - but from the vid, it looks like something people could use to learn tapestry faster than what I've managed!!

The drag and drop of components is impressive.

Cheers
Chris

On 03/02/2012, at 7:12 PM, Gavin Lei wrote:

> Yeah, this is really a problem, if we want to do so, TapestryTools
> must keep pace with Eclipse WTP's version. I will try to contact with
> Eclipse WTP community and try to merge TapestryTools into WTP, if
> fail, i will find a way to optimize its structure and reduce its
> version depend things to simplify install progress.
>
> 2012/2/3 Dmitry Gusev <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi, Gavin!
>>
>> Thats a big step forward. But, still, I think that a huge limitation of
>> TapestryTools is that it can't be plugged-into existing Eclipse Java EE
>> installation through the Help -> Install New Software.... I wish this will
>> be resolved in future releases.
>>
>> 2012/2/3 Gavin Lei <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I built Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor - TapestryTools [1]
>>> as GSoC 2011 project. Now, we plan to improve this tool and keep it as
>>> a GSoC 2012 project, before we start real develop job, we need
>>> feedback from you guys. Welcome to hava a trial of it, this is the
>>> guide [2] about how to install it, and we also have a video about how
>>> to use this tool.
>>>
>>> If you have any advises about it or you need some new features, please
>>> let me know. Thank you.
>>>
>>> [1] http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/
>>> [2]
>>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide
>>> [3] http://tapestrytools.googlecode.com/files/tapestrytools.mov
>>>
>>> --

>> Dmitry Gusev
>>
>> AnjLab Team
>> http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Giulio Micali
Hi Gavin !

I'm currently using your plugin: only the CTRL+R feature indeed, but it's
REALLY useful.

but...
I've posted a solution for the issue (13) in that feature and after several
months...nothing, not even a post like "I will check that".

I thought that the project has ended, and I'm happy to hear the opposite.

Cheers,
Giulio

2012/2/3 Chris Mylonas <[hidden email]>

> Hi Gavin,
>
> Great project thus far!!  A tool like that within eclipse will certainly
> get more people looking at tapestry as a framework to use.
> I initially thought Dmitry's comment was a little harsh and that he was
> being a bit fussy requesting the installation through Help->Install New
> Software
>
> But I have to say, there's one thing I find really unproductive - and that
> is fixing my dev environment when it breaks.  I'm back on Helios and that
> directory listing is a little too intimidating for me to try with the
> current number of projects I'm mucking around with.
>
> Sorry I couldn't test it first-hand for you - but from the vid, it looks
> like something people could use to learn tapestry faster than what I've
> managed!!
>
> The drag and drop of components is impressive.
>
> Cheers
> Chris
>

> On 03/02/2012, at 7:12 PM, Gavin Lei wrote:
>
> > Yeah, this is really a problem, if we want to do so, TapestryTools
> > must keep pace with Eclipse WTP's version. I will try to contact with
> > Eclipse WTP community and try to merge TapestryTools into WTP, if
> > fail, i will find a way to optimize its structure and reduce its
> > version depend things to simplify install progress.
> >
> > 2012/2/3 Dmitry Gusev <[hidden email]>:
> >> Hi, Gavin!
> >>
> >> Thats a big step forward. But, still, I think that a huge limitation of
> >> TapestryTools is that it can't be plugged-into existing Eclipse Java EE
> >> installation through the Help -> Install New Software.... I wish this
> will
> >> be resolved in future releases.

> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide

> >> --
> >> Dmitry Gusev
> >>
> >> AnjLab Team
> >> http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
hi Giulio,
thank you for your feedback, I will fix issues and add much new features for TaperstyTool this year, so I will fix this problem very soon. Now I am collecting new features for it, if you are really interested in it,you can tell me what do you want.

发自我的 iPad

在 2012-2-5,上午12:15,Giulio Micali <[hidden email]> 写道:

> Hi Gavin !
>
> I'm currently using your plugin: only the CTRL+R feature indeed, but it's
> REALLY useful.
>
> but...
> I've posted a solution for the issue (13) in that feature and after several
> months...nothing, not even a post like "I will check that".
>
> I thought that the project has ended, and I'm happy to hear the opposite.
>
> Cheers,
> Giulio
>

> 2012/2/3 Chris Mylonas <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Gavin,
>>
>> Great project thus far!!  A tool like that within eclipse will certainly
>> get more people looking at tapestry as a framework to use.
>> I initially thought Dmitry's comment was a little harsh and that he was
>> being a bit fussy requesting the installation through Help->Install New
>> Software
>>
>> But I have to say, there's one thing I find really unproductive - and that
>> is fixing my dev environment when it breaks.  I'm back on Helios and that
>> directory listing is a little too intimidating for me to try with the
>> current number of projects I'm mucking around with.
>>
>> Sorry I couldn't test it first-hand for you - but from the vid, it looks
>> like something people could use to learn tapestry faster than what I've
>> managed!!
>>
>> The drag and drop of components is impressive.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>>

>> On 03/02/2012, at 7:12 PM, Gavin Lei wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, this is really a problem, if we want to do so, TapestryTools
>>> must keep pace with Eclipse WTP's version. I will try to contact with
>>> Eclipse WTP community and try to merge TapestryTools into WTP, if
>>> fail, i will find a way to optimize its structure and reduce its
>>> version depend things to simplify install progress.

>> will

>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Mark
I agree that the ability to switch between .tml and .java would be
extremely useful. Right now issue 13 is keeping me from using it.

There used to be a plugin that only helped with this switch called
loom-t5, but the update site for that appears to be offline.

As far as a wish list, have you ever seen the old gui tools for
working with Apple WebObjects? It would show you the
objects/variables/methods from the .java page and let you navigate
through them and then click and drag a particular attribute and drop
it on a component and decide what you wanted to connect it to. It
brought some simple drag and drop capabilities to the editor that I've
always thought would be a great thing for Tapestry.

You can see some screenshots here:
https://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/WebObjects/Conceptual/WO53_WOBuilderGuide/WO53_WOBuilderGuide.pdf

Page 53 & 55 explains how the editor let you navigate the objects that
were in scope for a page.  Page 60 show a drag and drop connection
taking place in the editor.

Anyway, I think something like that would be interesting and useful,
but the switching between .tml and .java, really good code completion
for components, and easy installation are obviously the things that
are going to be the most useful.

Just some thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the plugin!

Mark

2012/2/4 Giulio Micali <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Gavin !
>
> I'm currently using your plugin: only the CTRL+R feature indeed, but it's
> REALLY useful.
>
> but...
> I've posted a solution for the issue (13) in that feature and after several
> months...nothing, not even a post like "I will check that".
>
> I thought that the project has ended, and I'm happy to hear the opposite.
>
> Cheers,
> Giulio
>

> 2012/2/3 Chris Mylonas <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Gavin,
>>
>> Great project thus far!!  A tool like that within eclipse will certainly
>> get more people looking at tapestry as a framework to use.
>> I initially thought Dmitry's comment was a little harsh and that he was
>> being a bit fussy requesting the installation through Help->Install New
>> Software
>>
>> But I have to say, there's one thing I find really unproductive - and that
>> is fixing my dev environment when it breaks.  I'm back on Helios and that
>> directory listing is a little too intimidating for me to try with the
>> current number of projects I'm mucking around with.
>>
>> Sorry I couldn't test it first-hand for you - but from the vid, it looks
>> like something people could use to learn tapestry faster than what I've
>> managed!!
>>
>> The drag and drop of components is impressive.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>>

>> On 03/02/2012, at 7:12 PM, Gavin Lei wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah, this is really a problem, if we want to do so, TapestryTools
>> > must keep pace with Eclipse WTP's version. I will try to contact with
>> > Eclipse WTP community and try to merge TapestryTools into WTP, if
>> > fail, i will find a way to optimize its structure and reduce its
>> > version depend things to simplify install progress.

>> will

>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
Thank you for your help, Mark, i will keep improving it

在 2012年2月6日 上午11:56,Mark <[hidden email]> 写道:

> [...]
>>> being a bit fussy requesting the installation through Help->Install New
>>> Software
>>>
>>> But I have to say, there's one thing I find really unproductive - and that
>>> is fixing my dev environment when it breaks.  I'm back on Helios and that
>>> directory listing is a little too intimidating for me to try with the
>>> current number of projects I'm mucking around with.
>>>
>>> Sorry I couldn't test it first-hand for you - but from the vid, it looks
>>> like something people could use to learn tapestry faster than what I've
>>> managed!!
>>>
>>> The drag and drop of components is impressive.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Chris

>>> will

>>> http://code.google.com/p/tapestrytools/wiki/TapestryTools_Install_Guide

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

After discussion with my GSoC mentor Igor Drobiazko, we think there
are two ways for TapestryTools to go:
1. build TapestryTools on WTP, and keep improving it
2. build a brand new simple tool which supplies some special Tapestry5
features, and it can run without WTP

Solution 1 will make TapestryTools more powerful, but meanwhile, it
will make it more complex and hard to improve, hard to install and we
should keep synchronous with Eclipse WTP's release version. Not
unfavorable for this tool's long term development.

If we build TapestryTools without Eclipse WTP in solution 2, maybe we
will lost some brilliant features, such as palette drag and drop
things, but it will make TapestryTools lightweight (just a normal
Eclipse plug-in, does not need many special dependencies),more focus,
easy to install, easy to use. And also, we can supply practical
features:

1) very easy installation in different Eclipse version
2) Tapestry page/component creation wizard
3) command to switch between tml and java
4) Autocompletion features, includes two aspects:
   * Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml file
   * Tapestry built in and custom components autocompletion function in tml

And optional features:
1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
file.

And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,
please let me know, thank you.

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Kalle Korhonen-2
2012/2/6 Gavin Lei <[hidden email]>:
> After discussion with my GSoC mentor Igor Drobiazko, we think there
> are two ways for TapestryTools to go:
> 1. build TapestryTools on WTP, and keep improving it
> 2. build a brand new simple tool which supplies some special Tapestry5
> features, and it can run without WTP

+1 for simple and light. It wins every time. So far, haven't been able
to use your tool because I always keep my Eclipse up-to-date and I
wouldn't dare reinstalling all of it.

Kalle

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

lprimak
WTP is a bloated POS anyway.  Completely agree that TapestryTools should not be dependent on it.
I also can't use it because I keep my plugins up-to-date and not dare re-installing it as well.

On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:04 AM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> 2012/2/6 Gavin Lei <[hidden email]>:
>> After discussion with my GSoC mentor Igor Drobiazko, we think there
>> are two ways for TapestryTools to go:
>> 1. build TapestryTools on WTP, and keep improving it
>> 2. build a brand new simple tool which supplies some special Tapestry5
>> features, and it can run without WTP
>
> +1 for simple and light. It wins every time. So far, haven't been able
> to use your tool because I always keep my Eclipse up-to-date and I
> wouldn't dare reinstalling all of it.
>
> Kalle

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Dmitry Gusev
Hi, Gavin!

It would also be great if there will be integration with T5 Component
There's a JavaDoc view in Eclipse, may be its possible to show related
reference page in there when you're in tml editor?
Also it would be nice to use the Help view, to show some Wiki links, and/or
TapestryTools own recommendations on the T5/plug-in usage.

Btw, I like the idea of lightweight T5 support with autocomplete and
navigation. I think they have more impact on productivity than
the Component palette and drag&drop, although these are nice features also.
Personally I don't use drag&drop in web development at all, but I like the
idea of component palette as a catalog of all available components.

For me I would better prefer having separate view with component list
(grouped by some categories) integrated with component references, and also
I'd like to see all available T5 services in there with  (probably grouped
somehow) with the ability to click on them so that the plugin generated a
piece of code in AppModule with contribute/override logic -- but that just
my thoughts.

I'd also like to see more Navigation features. I.e., in page class:

    @Inject

    private Application application;

I'd like to CMD+Hover the field and see navigation tip "Open build method"
(like here
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-galnav/index.html
).

I'd also liked if TapestryTools moved to GitHub, I think there you can have
more feedback/contributions from open source.

P.S.
Thanks for doing all this :)

2012/2/7 Gavin Lei <[hidden email]>

> Hi All,
>
> After discussion with my GSoC mentor Igor Drobiazko, we think there
> are two ways for TapestryTools to go:
> 1. build TapestryTools on WTP, and keep improving it
> 2. build a brand new simple tool which supplies some special Tapestry5
> features, and it can run without WTP
>
> Solution 1 will make TapestryTools more powerful, but meanwhile, it
> will make it more complex and hard to improve, hard to install and we
> should keep synchronous with Eclipse WTP's release version. Not
> unfavorable for this tool's long term development.
>
> If we build TapestryTools without Eclipse WTP in solution 2, maybe we
> will lost some brilliant features, such as palette drag and drop
> things, but it will make TapestryTools lightweight (just a normal
> Eclipse plug-in, does not need many special dependencies),more focus,
> easy to install, easy to use. And also, we can supply practical
> features:
>
> 1) very easy installation in different Eclipse version
> 2) Tapestry page/component creation wizard
> 3) command to switch between tml and java
> 4) Autocompletion features, includes two aspects:
>   * Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml
> file
>   * Tapestry built in and custom components autocompletion function in tml
>
> And optional features:
> 1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
> 2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
> libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
> 3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
> in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
> property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
> file.
>
> And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
> from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,
> please let me know, thank you.

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Borut Bolčina
+1 for the light version

The IDEA IDE is the way to follow. It has all the features you are mentioning for the light version, but it is not free. The autocomplete feature is so much useful that we already bought one licence becouse it speeds up the tapestry web apps development significantly.

Sent from my iPad

On 7. feb. 2012, at 06:27, Gavin Lei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After discussion with my GSoC mentor Igor Drobiazko, we think there
> are two ways for TapestryTools to go:
> 1. build TapestryTools on WTP, and keep improving it
> 2. build a brand new simple tool which supplies some special Tapestry5
> features, and it can run without WTP
>
> Solution 1 will make TapestryTools more powerful, but meanwhile, it
> will make it more complex and hard to improve, hard to install and we
> should keep synchronous with Eclipse WTP's release version. Not
> unfavorable for this tool's long term development.
>
> If we build TapestryTools without Eclipse WTP in solution 2, maybe we
> will lost some brilliant features, such as palette drag and drop
> things, but it will make TapestryTools lightweight (just a normal
> Eclipse plug-in, does not need many special dependencies),more focus,
> easy to install, easy to use. And also, we can supply practical
> features:
>
> 1) very easy installation in different Eclipse version
> 2) Tapestry page/component creation wizard
> 3) command to switch between tml and java
> 4) Autocompletion features, includes two aspects:
>   * Autocomplete of properties from the .java page when editing the .tml file
>   * Tapestry built in and custom components autocompletion function in tml
>
> And optional features:
> 1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
> 2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
> libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
> 3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
> in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
> property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
> file.
>
> And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
> from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,
> please let me know, thank you.

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
Hi Dmitry,

Thank you for your feedback. I will go deep into the T5 Component
References things, if possible, i will merge it into TapestryTools as
a new feature.

Last year, Igor talked with me about moving TapestryTools to GitHub,
due to bad internet service in China, it is hard for me to link to
GitHub, so we gave up. This year, it seems that i can connect to
GitHub already (although it is not fast, but works), i will host this
project source code in GitHub once i start the development job.

2012/2/7 Dmitry Gusev <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> 1) import Tapestry jar of special version to project
>> 2) validation function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>>    Supplies semantic validation of the Tapestry standard tag
>> libraries for both EL and non-EL attribute values in *.tml file
>> 3) hyperlink function in Tapestry .tml file source view
>>    Hyperlink to the Java editor from property and method referenced
>> in the Expression Language(EL) of a tag-attribute, click (CTRL +
>> property or method ), it will jump to the corresponding Java Class
>> file.
>>
>> And now, we are still in ideas collection period, any feature demands
>> from open source community is welcome. Or if you have any advises,
>> please let me know, thank you.

> Dmitry Gusev
>
> AnjLab Team
> http://anjlab.com

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 05:07:22 -0200, Lenny Primak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> WTP is a bloated POS anyway.  Completely agree that TapestryTools should
> not be dependent on it.
> I also can't use it because I keep my plugins up-to-date and not dare
> re-installing it as well.

Agreed 100% with this and the lightweight approach. I avoid WTP as much as
I can. And most people will always update their Eclipse and plugins
version.

and instructor
http://www.arsmachina.com.br

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Giulio Micali
Like many people here, my advice is the lightweight one.
From my user experience, the "graphical editor" can be really cool to see
(not only in tapestry, also in JSF and before in JSP or swing/awt ecc...),
but is useful only at the beginning of the project and damaging since then
until end of time :D
Also, all my projects are imported through maven and i use high level of
modularization, so I usually lost all the "tapestry nature" features.

One question: if you detach that from WTP, don't you loose the autocomplete
feature for html/css tags inside the TML ?

Cheers,
Giulio

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

trsvax
I'd vote for a lightweight one also. In fact if I could click on a java or tml file and end up with a window something like the Maven Pom editor I'd be happy. The tabs could include tml, java, properties, event handlers, services etc. Auto complete in the tml file might be nice but I'd say just having the tml/java tabs would would be a huge win. If I could also go to a service implementation without going thru the interface I'd be pretty happy.

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

lprimak
I am sure that code can be reused somehow without triggering this dependency.

On Feb 7, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Giulio Micali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Like many people here, my advice is the lightweight one.
>> From my user experience, the "graphical editor" can be really cool to see
> (not only in tapestry, also in JSF and before in JSP or swing/awt ecc...),
> but is useful only at the beginning of the project and damaging since then
> until end of time :D
> Also, all my projects are imported through maven and i use high level of
> modularization, so I usually lost all the "tapestry nature" features.
>

> One question: if you detach that from WTP, don't you loose the autocomplete
> feature for html/css tags inside the TML ?
>
> Cheers,
> Giulio

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei
Hi Giulio,

Thank you for your advises, see the commends below

2012/2/8 Giulio Micali <[hidden email]>:
> Like many people here, my advice is the lightweight one.
> From my user experience, the "graphical editor" can be really cool to see
> (not only in tapestry, also in JSF and before in JSP or swing/awt ecc...),
> but is useful only at the beginning of the project and damaging since then
> until end of time :D

It seems that palette drag-and-drop things is not so practical, not a
big pity to miss this feature, good to hear that :D

> Also, all my projects are imported through maven and i use high level of
> modularization, so I usually lost all the "tapestry nature" features.
>

> One question: if you detach that from WTP, don't you loose the autocomplete
> feature for html/css tags inside the TML ?

Yeah, html/css autocomplete feature is supplies by WTP, not
TapestryTools. If TapestryTools work without WTP, it will lost this
feature. But we can still supply Tapestry 5 built-in and custom
components autocomplete feature, works like this.

If we add actionlink component, such as:

<t:actionlink t:id="logout">Log out</t:actionlink>
,So when you type

<t:
it comes up with a list you can choose from and then completes it with
the required parameters listed.

We can finish this feature development work without WTP :-)

> Cheers,
> Giulio

Re: Need feedback for Eclipse WTP based Tapestry 5 visual editor

Gavin Lei

You mean we should supply a muti-page editor, which open *.tml and
corresponding *.java file in the same window, right ? This is a good
idea, i will consider this solution.

You said "The tabs could include tml, java, properties, event
handlers, services etc", in fact, i am not very clear about the
"properties, event handlers, services", i do not think each Tapestry
page have these modules, if we added all these tabs in a mutli-page
editor, isn't it some kind of place waste ? More important, too many
tabs will also affect editor performance, make it more slowly and
heavier. your opinion?