QuickStart

12

Re: QuickStart

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:13 PM Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thiago,
>
> It seems you cannot read English.

I do

> I was suggesting Angular and Spring
> backend services being exposed via Rest to the Angular.

Yes, just after you had just suggested Angular and nothing else.

> It's seems all you know is Tapestry and nothing else.

It's not wise to make assumptions without evidence in public forums which
are archived and mirrored.

Re: QuickStart

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:54 AM Rafael Bugajewski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Heya all,

Hello!

> I’m in a similar situation. I started my first Tapestry project 14 months
> ago and did a pretty sophisticated research in advance. I haven’t regretted
> it yet, and the only worries I had, were about new Java releases
> compatibility. But this is something that is already in progress as far as
> I know (as a side note: Do anybody know the status of this?).

Yes, we're working on this. You can follow the progress in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2588, which has Java 9 in its
title, even though we do want to have Java 10 and 11 supported too. Of
course, you can also join the discussion and even post patches, as someone
already did and I'm planning to apply it to the code very soon. Everyone is
invited to participate in one way or another!

> I guess there are coders who always jump on the new hype train. They buy
> the new hyped out hammer that’s just a little bit more shiny than the
> previous one. Everything looks to them like nails in the end.

This has been particularly true to client-side JavaScript. It seems to me
that React and similar libraries are slowly taking over the other
approaches lately.

> And then there are engineers who choose the right tools for the job
> without prejudices.

Words of wisdom!

> I want to thank the current Tapestry core team for their work.

And we, the Tapestry core team, would like to thank everyone who posted
their testimonials here, including the one with criticisms. Yes, we know
JavaScript is something which could have been handled in a more friendly
way, but that reflects the server-side-focused time it was created.

RE: QuickStart

Svein
I think Tapestry is super for small to medium projects. Tapestry has bundled JQuery, datatable, boostrap, underscore etc. It comes with a lot of nice usable Tapestry components. Tapestry takes care of making everything working together, but you can use your own version of e.g. JQuery if you want. Tapestry is very customable. Live class reloading makes the development superfast. For easy UX I am using plain Tapestry templates. For more advanced applications (single page) I am using some React/JSX. Some elements in the page are still Tapestry Zones because they easy to use. Tapestry works nice as a service layer for serving data to my JavaScript when needed.

I think Spring is for large projects.

S-E

Sent: mandag 26. november 2018 09:13
To: Svein-Erik Løken <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: QuickStart

Setting up a tapestry project for building a trivial webapp for back office data entry is still very efficient.

Angular is a glorified java script library, not a web application framework.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Nov 2018, at 14:09, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5734102&i=0>> wrote:
>
> Dude,
>
> Really setting up tapestry for a new project? Are you out of your mind?
> Tapestry is a dying project, even it's founder Howard Lewis Ship has
> abandoned his ship long ago and jumped onto another modern framework.
> Pickup Angular or another modern framework for your new project.
> Cheers.
>
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:53 AM Qbyte Consulting <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=5734102&i=1>>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m trying to setup a bare bones tapestry project in maven 3.
>>
>> Can anyone point me an example how to do that please?
>>
>> John
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
NAML<
http://apache-tapestry-mailing-list-archives.1045711.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: QuickStart

Emmanuel Sowah
Guys,

Get out of the stone-age page based server-side frameworks like Tapestry.
The world is moving on. Even Howard Lewis Ship dumped this bloated
old-fashioned thing and moved on. Don't be left behind.
Grab Angular today. It has a learning curve of course. But it would all be
worth it in the long run.
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo is even witnessing the slow death of
Tapestry. You can see from his desperate search for contributors. He talks
about a core team as if it consists of many developers. He is the only one
on the core team. One day he would also abandon Tapestry like Howard Lewis
Ship did. So jump off the ship now before he does.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:13 PM Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thiago,
> >
> > It seems you cannot read English.
>

> I do
>

> > I was suggesting Angular and Spring
> > backend services being exposed via Rest to the Angular.
>

> Yes, just after you had just suggested Angular and nothing else.
>

> > It's seems all you know is Tapestry and nothing else.
>

> It's not wise to make assumptions without evidence in public forums which
> are archived and mirrored.

Re: QuickStart

Emmanuel Sowah

Here is a snippet from skills Howard Lewis Ship's listed on his website
http://howardlewisship.com/:

"*On the front-end, I've used all the major frameworks: jQuery, AngularJS,
Backbone, ReactJS, ExtJS, Underscore, and more. More importantly, I have
leveraged whatever tools are available to create responsive and complelling
user interfaces.*"

As you can see, he is even shy about mentioning Tapestry as a skill. He
even used Apache Wicket on a client project in the past. You should ask
yourself, why is this guy not eating his own dog shit?

Learn Angular today!

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM Qbyte Consulting <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was recently working on a project with React components connected to
> controllers in C# to provide the API for the back end. Development is slow
> and tedious because there’s lots of boilerplate code, although there is the
> benefit of some component reuse.
>
> Looking at the react components reminded me somewhat of the bad old days
> of JSP, because they build the markup structure inside code rather than
> have it all in a separate markup template. It’s simply not as good as
> tapestry components.
>
> Sometimes the “new” way is still the old way.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 27 Nov 2018, at 03:06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thiago,
> >
> > It seems you cannot read English. I was suggesting Angular and Spring
> > backend services being exposed via Rest to the Angular. It's seems all
> you
> > know is Tapestry and nothing else. The world is bigger than Tapestry,
> boy;-)

> Pathetic.
> >>>

> >> Replacing a mostly-server-side framework with a JavaScript client-side
> >> library isn't what I'd call a constructive argument.
> >>
> >> And we know Emmanuel Sowah is an old, low-quality troll. He used to
> suggest
> >> Apache Wicket (which is a nice framework, by the way, but I'm partial to
> >> Tapestry, of course, hehehe) and is now suggesting Spring? Weird turn of
> >> events. But yet a low-quality troll. Good ones have good arguments and
> make
> >> tough questions.

> [hidden email]

> >> more

> >> has
> >> framework.

> >> --
> >> Thiago

SV: Re: QuickStart

Mats Andersson-2
Tapestry does a lot of things. It is not easy to cover every aspect with a good/bad old/new style talking about Tapestry as one thing. Opinions from the ones actually using it could be useful for anyone reading this list, so here is my contribution to that.

I have been using Tapestry in different setups since the beginning of Tapestry 5. First I found the IOC and the client components useful. Then I realized the benefits of the genious way the filters works. I really appreciated the move to JQuery, since I already was using that and it really made life easier.

Now if not already done, in my opinion, it is time to separate client and server parts. Server should provide json through a rest service, Tapestry works very well for that, for example in combination with Jersey. On the client side I have found the same good feeling, flow, using Angular as I have with Tapestry on the server side. They really work well together. So to conclude, should I recommend anyone to start a new project using Tapestry on the server side? The main problems I would say is the lack of an updated best practices and the missing Java 11 support. I am not updated with the latest on Java 11 support but for my own sake I am not that worried. About the best practices it is mainly a problem for Tapestry acceptance. When people see that pages are rendered server side in Tapestry they see a conflict with the powerful way to build web applications using Angular or similar. What they don't see is the beautiful backend framework that is so complete that it do not require continuous updates. Just opinions, but hopefully it will be of use to someone.

Skickat från min Xperia™-smartphone från Sony

---- Emmanuel Sowah skrev ----

>Hi,
>
>Here is a snippet from skills Howard Lewis Ship's listed on his website
>http://howardlewisship.com/:
>
>"*On the front-end, I've used all the major frameworks: jQuery, AngularJS,
>Backbone, ReactJS, ExtJS, Underscore, and more. More importantly, I have
>leveraged whatever tools are available to create responsive and complelling
>user interfaces.*"
>
>As you can see, he is even shy about mentioning Tapestry as a skill. He
>even used Apache Wicket on a client project in the past. You should ask
>yourself, why is this guy not eating his own dog shit?
>
>Learn Angular today!
>
>On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM Qbyte Consulting <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> I was recently working on a project with React components connected to
>> controllers in C# to provide the API for the back end. Development is slow
>> and tedious because there’s lots of boilerplate code, although there is the
>> benefit of some component reuse.
>>
>> Looking at the react components reminded me somewhat of the bad old days
>> of JSP, because they build the markup structure inside code rather than
>> have it all in a separate markup template. It’s simply not as good as
>> tapestry components.
>>
>> Sometimes the “new” way is still the old way.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On 27 Nov 2018, at 03:06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thiago,
>> >
>> > It seems you cannot read English. I was suggesting Angular and Spring
>> > backend services being exposed via Rest to the Angular. It's seems all
>> you
>> > know is Tapestry and nothing else. The world is bigger than Tapestry,
>> boy;-)

>> Pathetic.

>> suggest
>> make

>> [hidden email]

Re: QuickStart

Numa Schmeder-5
Yes and on the first lines it’s written creator of Tapestry Framework ;)

> Le 27 nov. 2018 à 13:36, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> Here is a snippet from skills Howard Lewis Ship's listed on his website
> http://howardlewisship.com/:
>
> "*On the front-end, I've used all the major frameworks: jQuery, AngularJS,
> Backbone, ReactJS, ExtJS, Underscore, and more. More importantly, I have
> leveraged whatever tools are available to create responsive and complelling
> user interfaces.*"
>
> As you can see, he is even shy about mentioning Tapestry as a skill. He
> even used Apache Wicket on a client project in the past. You should ask
> yourself, why is this guy not eating his own dog shit?
>
> Learn Angular today!
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM Qbyte Consulting <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I was recently working on a project with React components connected to
>> controllers in C# to provide the API for the back end. Development is slow
>> and tedious because there’s lots of boilerplate code, although there is the
>> benefit of some component reuse.
>>
>> Looking at the react components reminded me somewhat of the bad old days
>> of JSP, because they build the markup structure inside code rather than
>> have it all in a separate markup template. It’s simply not as good as
>> tapestry components.
>>
>> Sometimes the “new” way is still the old way.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 27 Nov 2018, at 03:06, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thiago,
>>>
>>> It seems you cannot read English. I was suggesting Angular and Spring
>>> backend services being exposed via Rest to the Angular. It's seems all
>> you
>>> know is Tapestry and nothing else. The world is bigger than Tapestry,
>> boy;-)

>> Pathetic.

>> suggest
>> make

>> [hidden email]

Re: QuickStart

Numa Schmeder-5
Does anyone has experience building an angular or react application consisting on interacting with more than 100 related objects containing all at least 10 fields of different types (string, double, int, dates, times) etc.
I am interested on your feedback.

I have worked on smaller react/redux projects with just a few objects and and a hundred of fields. It has been a nightmare debugging. Backend was made using spring restful + hibernate, frontend react/redux. It’s really not easy to debug and maintain. Speed is fine as long as you don’t try to hold too many objects. You need to care of garbage collecting your objects or your browser will explose. You need to merge and version your data… you need DTO, you cannot do big computation on the client, so you still need to do them on the server… I don’t even talk about refactoring…

As a matter of fact, client side frameworks are not good at this, they make me think of the beginning of J2EE/EJB with hundred of lines of boilerplate code, interfaces everywhere etc…

Most developers I have seen just don’t understand most of the asynchronous issues, concurrent calls. They code javascript because it’s easy and they forget most of the issues you can find in a big project.

Frameworks like Ember, Vue, Angular are good to create some more or less complex components, but you still need a server side application to interact with your data and generate your main views.

Tapestry is good and it has its use case, it could improve but it’s clearly not obsolete.

JS components frameworks are great too and have their use case.

In the end it  doesn’t really matter, as long as you find the frameworks that fit your needs and your requirements :)

  <http://www.dfacto.ch/> Numa Schmeder    www.dfacto.ch  <http://www.dfacto.ch/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>   |   M +41 79 538 30 01

DIGITAL STRATEGY   |   DESIGN   |   DEVELOPMENT

> [...]
>> even used Apache Wicket on a client project in the past. You should ask
>> yourself, why is this guy not eating his own dog shit?
>>
>> Learn Angular today!
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM Qbyte Consulting <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was recently working on a project with React components connected to
>>> controllers in C# to provide the API for the back end. Development is slow
>>> and tedious because there’s lots of boilerplate code, although there is the
>>> benefit of some component reuse.
>>>
>>> Looking at the react components reminded me somewhat of the bad old days
>>> of JSP, because they build the markup structure inside code rather than
>>> have it all in a separate markup template. It’s simply not as good as
>>> tapestry components.
>>>
>>> Sometimes the “new” way is still the old way.

Re: QuickStart

Emmanuel Sowah
It is true, he has mentioned that in the first line. But what is the point
of creating something and not using it? As a new user, that would sound and
alarm bell to me.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM Numa Schmeder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes and on the first lines it’s written creator of Tapestry Framework ;)
>

> > Le 27 nov. 2018 à 13:36, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is a snippet from skills Howard Lewis Ship's listed on his website
> > http://howardlewisship.com/:
> >
> > "*On the front-end, I've used all the major frameworks: jQuery,
> AngularJS,
> > Backbone, ReactJS, ExtJS, Underscore, and more. More importantly, I have
> > leveraged whatever tools are available to create responsive and
> complelling
> > user interfaces.*"
> >
> > As you can see, he is even shy about mentioning Tapestry as a skill. He
> > even used Apache Wicket on a client project in the past. You should ask
> > yourself, why is this guy not eating his own dog shit?
> >
> > Learn Angular today!
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 12:47 AM Qbyte Consulting <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I was recently working on a project with React components connected to
> >> controllers in C# to provide the API for the back end. Development is
> slow
> >> and tedious because there’s lots of boilerplate code, although there is
> the
> >> benefit of some component reuse.
> >>
> >> Looking at the react components reminded me somewhat of the bad old days
> >> of JSP, because they build the markup structure inside code rather than
> >> have it all in a separate markup template. It’s simply not as good as
> >> tapestry components.
> >>
> >> Sometimes the “new” way is still the old way.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> >> you
> >> boy;-)

> >> Pathetic.

> >> suggest
> of
> >> make

> >> [hidden email]

> back

Re: Re: QuickStart

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM Mats Andersson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have been using Tapestry in different setups since the beginning of
> Tapestry 5. First I found the IOC and the client components useful.

In my day job, which uses Tapestry, even the people who dislike
Tapestry-the-web-framework actually like Tapestry-IoC very much.

> Then I realized the benefits of the genious way the filters works.

Yes, you can handle, decorate and protect with Tapestry's filters even
requests which aren't served by Tapestry itself. I'd also include the
dispatchers too. Similar to servlets, but way better (live class reloading,
no XML configuration, Tapestry-IoC).

> Now if not already done, in my opinion, it is time to separate client and
> server parts.

I'm not sure what's your line between client and server. Client usually
includes just JavaScript, but your description seems to include pages and
components too. If you mean a Tapestry-minimal framework including just
RequestFilter and Dispatcher, that's doable, not a huge effort, and
something similar was already done in the past without breaking changes
(separating the BeanModel classes from tapestry-core).

> The main problems I would say is the lack of an updated best practices

Well, the best practices are the same since Tapestry 5.4 was released, and
I'm saying that specifically due to the change in JavaScript support. The
rest hasn't changed much since Tapestry 5.0.

> and the missing Java 11 support.

It's being worked on right now, starting with Java 9 first, then 10 and 11
to follow.

> I am not updated with the latest on Java 11 support but for my own sake I
> am not that worried. About the best practices it is mainly a problem for
> Tapestry acceptance. When people see that pages are rendered server side in
> Tapestry they see a conflict with the powerful way to build web
> applications using Angular or similar. What they don't see is the beautiful
> backend framework that is so complete that it do not require continuous
> updates. Just opinions, but hopefully it will be of use to someone.

Thanks for your insights!

Re: QuickStart

Mats Andersson-2
About client and server separation, I meant that the application should
be split into one server/back-end part providing a rest interface and a
web application part which can use a completely different framework like
Angular. That way no dependencies exist between the two which helps a
lot during upgrade of libs etc. From my experience that has worked well.

I believe there is no need to split Tapestry itself for this purpose and
I am aware of that there are still use-cases for handling everything in
a single application. It is good with choices :-)

Mats

On 2018-11-27 19:56, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM Mats Andersson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Tapestry in different setups since the beginning of
>> Tapestry 5. First I found the IOC and the client components useful.
>
> In my day job, which uses Tapestry, even the people who dislike
> Tapestry-the-web-framework actually like Tapestry-IoC very much.
>

>> Then I realized the benefits of the genious way the filters works.
>
> Yes, you can handle, decorate and protect with Tapestry's filters even
> requests which aren't served by Tapestry itself. I'd also include the
> dispatchers too. Similar to servlets, but way better (live class reloading,
> no XML configuration, Tapestry-IoC).
>

>> Now if not already done, in my opinion, it is time to separate client and
>> server parts.
>
> I'm not sure what's your line between client and server. Client usually
> includes just JavaScript, but your description seems to include pages and
> components too. If you mean a Tapestry-minimal framework including just
> RequestFilter and Dispatcher, that's doable, not a huge effort, and
> something similar was already done in the past without breaking changes
> (separating the BeanModel classes from tapestry-core).
>

>> The main problems I would say is the lack of an updated best practices
>
> Well, the best practices are the same since Tapestry 5.4 was released, and
> I'm saying that specifically due to the change in JavaScript support. The
> rest hasn't changed much since Tapestry 5.0.
>

>> and the missing Java 11 support.
>
> It's being worked on right now, starting with Java 9 first, then 10 and 11
> to follow.
>

>> I am not updated with the latest on Java 11 support but for my own sake I
>> am not that worried. About the best practices it is mainly a problem for
>> Tapestry acceptance. When people see that pages are rendered server side in
>> Tapestry they see a conflict with the powerful way to build web
>> applications using Angular or similar. What they don't see is the beautiful
>> backend framework that is so complete that it do not require continuous
>> updates. Just opinions, but hopefully it will be of use to someone.
>>
> Thanks for your insights!

---------------------- Mats Andersson | Ronsoft AB | +46(0)73 368 79 82

Re: QuickStart

Taha Hafeez
Just to add my two cents.

My tapestry applications have been in production for a long time (7+ years) and are rock solid and highly scalable. I think Tapestry is still a very good solution for many use cases.

Thanks
Taha

> On 28 Nov 2018, at 00:26, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 11:39 AM Mats Andersson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have been using Tapestry in different setups since the beginning of
>> Tapestry 5. First I found the IOC and the client components useful.
>

> In my day job, which uses Tapestry, even the people who dislike
> Tapestry-the-web-framework actually like Tapestry-IoC very much.
>

>> Then I realized the benefits of the genious way the filters works.
>

> Yes, you can handle, decorate and protect with Tapestry's filters even
> requests which aren't served by Tapestry itself. I'd also include the
> dispatchers too. Similar to servlets, but way better (live class reloading,
> no XML configuration, Tapestry-IoC).
>

>> Now if not already done, in my opinion, it is time to separate client and
>> server parts.
>

> I'm not sure what's your line between client and server. Client usually
> includes just JavaScript, but your description seems to include pages and
> components too. If you mean a Tapestry-minimal framework including just
> RequestFilter and Dispatcher, that's doable, not a huge effort, and
> something similar was already done in the past without breaking changes
> (separating the BeanModel classes from tapestry-core).
>

>> The main problems I would say is the lack of an updated best practices
>

> Well, the best practices are the same since Tapestry 5.4 was released, and
> I'm saying that specifically due to the change in JavaScript support. The
> rest hasn't changed much since Tapestry 5.0.
>

>> and the missing Java 11 support.
>

> It's being worked on right now, starting with Java 9 first, then 10 and 11
> to follow.
>

>> I am not updated with the latest on Java 11 support but for my own sake I
>> am not that worried. About the best practices it is mainly a problem for
>> Tapestry acceptance. When people see that pages are rendered server side in
>> Tapestry they see a conflict with the powerful way to build web
>> applications using Angular or similar. What they don't see is the beautiful
>> backend framework that is so complete that it do not require continuous
>> updates. Just opinions, but hopefully it will be of use to someone.
>>

> Thanks for your insights!

Re: QuickStart

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:37 PM Mats Andersson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> About client and server separation, I meant that the application should
> be split into one server/back-end part providing a rest interface and a
> web application part which can use a completely different framework like
> Angular. That way no dependencies exist between the two which helps a
> lot during upgrade of libs etc. From my experience that has worked well.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your text. I definitely agree with the frontend
and backend separation.

> I believe there is no need to split Tapestry itself for this purpose

It wouldn't be for that purpose. It would be for applications that what the
Tapestry RequestFilter/Dispatcher goodies but not the templating engine.
REST endpoints would fall into that category. If we do that, we could have
a smaller dependency, JAR size and memory usage (even though Tapestry is
very good at not initializing stuff until it's actually used) for that
applications.

> and I am aware of that there are still use-cases for handling everything
> in
> a single application. It is good with choices :-)

Indeed.

Re: QuickStart

abangkis
On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 6:55 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 10:37 PM Mats Andersson <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>

> It wouldn't be for that purpose. It would be for applications that what the
> Tapestry RequestFilter/Dispatcher goodies but not the templating engine.
> REST endpoints would fall into that category. If we do that, we could have
> a smaller dependency, JAR size and memory usage (even though Tapestry is
> very good at not initializing stuff until it's actually used) for that
> applications.

Actually, my current project just started using ktor. They offer freemarker
as the template engine. I've been spoiled with all the tapestry page magic,
so i wondered if I could use tapestry page on top of ktor. Maybe it isn't a
wonder after all. 😊

http://www.mreunionlabs.net/ <http://www.mreunion-labs.net/>
twitter : @mreunionlabs @abangkis
page : https://plus.google.com/104168782385184990771