[REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

Howard Lewis Ship
Apache Tapestry is a Java component-based web framework that features high
productivity, great code reuse, robust deployment, and terrific performance.

Any issues for the Board?

  We have begun to discuss the process of a change in project lead, as
  Howard Lewis Ship's involvement in the project has markedly
  decreased over the last year or more.

When did the project last make any releases?

  Tapestry 5.4.0 was released on 21 Dec 2015. This was a long, long,
  time in the making.

Describe the overall activity in the project over the past quarter.

  Activity on the user mailing list is slow. Questions are answered
  with participation of not only the core contributors but also by the
  community at large. Discussion focuses especially around new
  features of the 5.4 release. There are also occasional
  announcements concerning third-party libraries developed entirely
  outside the Tapestry team.

  Activity on the dev mailing list is medium.

  Plans are underway to determine what changes will be introduced into
  Tapestry 5.5.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  Jochen Kenmade has been voted in as a committer on 25 Apr 2014, and
  subsequently been voted into the PMC (2 Mar 2015).

Project branding or naming issues, either in the project or externally.

  No known issues.

Branding requirements progress:

 * "Website Navigation Links: navbar links included, link to www.apache.org
   included" - License and Security links are missing
 * "Logos and Graphics: include TM, use consistent product logo on your
site"
   - TM missing from logo

Legal issues or questions:

  None.

Infrastructure issues or strategic needs:

  None.

Senior Mobile Developer at Walmart Labs

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

Greg Stein
On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]>

> Any issues for the Board?
>
>   We have begun to discuss the process of a change in project lead, as
>   Howard Lewis Ship's involvement in the project has markedly
>   decreased over the last year or more.

There is no such thing as "project lead" at an ASF project. The community
is in charge.

-g

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

Glenn Adams
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]>
>
>> Any issues for the Board?
>>
>>   We have begun to discuss the process of a change in project lead, as
>>   Howard Lewis Ship's involvement in the project has markedly
>>   decreased over the last year or more.
>>

> There is no such thing as "project lead" at an ASF project. The community
> is in charge.

This may come from the fact that JIRA indicates a "Lead" on JIRA projects
associated with ASF projects.

> -g

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

Howard Lewis Ship
Sorry, just a typo, should have said "chair" not "lead".  See, I'm unfit
for the position and need replacement.

http://howardlewisship.com
@hlship

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Glenn Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:46 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Any issues for the Board?
>>>
>>>   We have begun to discuss the process of a change in project lead, as
>>>   Howard Lewis Ship's involvement in the project has markedly
>>>   decreased over the last year or more.
>>>

>> There is no such thing as "project lead" at an ASF project. The community
>> is in charge.
>>

> This may come from the fact that JIRA indicates a "Lead" on JIRA projects
> associated with ASF projects.

That is rather disingenuous. If you wanted to alter the "Lead" in JIRA,
then just do so.

No. You're talking about replacing the VP of Apache Tapestry, and you're
also referring to him as a "Lead". That is wrong.

Else-thread, Howard says "oh, simple word typo", yet he uses the word
"Lead" on his LinkedIn account. There is no typo occurring here. This has
recurred over years.

Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
contrary to Apache principles.

-g

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

Tom Barber
It's alright though, because its all documented! ;)

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Tom

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Glenn Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There is no such thing as "project lead" at an ASF project. The
>>> community is in charge.
>>>

>> This may come from the fact that JIRA indicates a "Lead" on JIRA projects
>> associated with ASF projects.
>>

> That is rather disingenuous. If you wanted to alter the "Lead" in JIRA,
> then just do so.
>
> No. You're talking about replacing the VP of Apache Tapestry, and you're
> also referring to him as a "Lead". That is wrong.
>
> Else-thread, Howard says "oh, simple word typo", yet he uses the word
> "Lead" on his LinkedIn account. There is no typo occurring here. This has
> recurred over years.
>
> Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
> contrary to Apache principles.
>
> -g

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

"Ulrich Stärk"
On 19/02/16 13:33, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Glenn Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:44 AM, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> There is no such thing as "project lead" at an ASF project. The community
>>> is in charge.
>>>

>> This may come from the fact that JIRA indicates a "Lead" on JIRA projects
>> associated with ASF projects.
>>

> That is rather disingenuous. If you wanted to alter the "Lead" in JIRA,
> then just do so.
>
> No. You're talking about replacing the VP of Apache Tapestry, and you're
> also referring to him as a "Lead". That is wrong.
>
> Else-thread, Howard says "oh, simple word typo", yet he uses the word
> "Lead" on his LinkedIn account. There is no typo occurring here. This has
> recurred over years.
>
> Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
> contrary to Apache principles.

Do you have any proof supporting this wild speculation and generalization? E.g. from talking to
community members? Some emails maybe? Anything?

Just because we don't care what somebody calls themselves doesn't mean we don't know and live by
Apache principles.

Uli

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Ulrich Stärk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19/02/16 13:33, Greg Stein wrote:

> community
> >>>

> >> This may come from the fact that JIRA indicates a "Lead" on JIRA
> projects
> >> associated with ASF projects.
> >>

> > That is rather disingenuous. If you wanted to alter the "Lead" in JIRA,
> > then just do so.
> >
> > No. You're talking about replacing the VP of Apache Tapestry, and you're
> > also referring to him as a "Lead". That is wrong.
> >
> > Else-thread, Howard says "oh, simple word typo", yet he uses the word
> > "Lead" on his LinkedIn account. There is no typo occurring here. This has
> > recurred over years.
> >
> > Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
> > contrary to Apache principles.
>
> Do you have any proof supporting this wild speculation and generalization?
> E.g. from talking to
> community members? Some emails maybe? Anything?
>
> Just because we don't care what somebody calls themselves doesn't mean we
> don't know and live by
> Apache principles.

For years, HLS has referred to himself as the "Lead". This is old news.

So I'm unclear on the question? Do I need to pull up references for this?
Or are you asking something else?

-g
uli

Re: [REPORT] Apache Tapestry - Feb 2016

uli
Administrator

> Am 19.02.2016 um 14:05 schrieb Greg Stein <[hidden email]>:

>> community

>> projects
>>>
>>> That is rather disingenuous. If you wanted to alter the "Lead" in JIRA,
>>> then just do so.
>>>
>>> No. You're talking about replacing the VP of Apache Tapestry, and you're
>>> also referring to him as a "Lead". That is wrong.
>>>
>>> Else-thread, Howard says "oh, simple word typo", yet he uses the word
>>> "Lead" on his LinkedIn account. There is no typo occurring here. This has
>>> recurred over years.
>>>
>>> Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
>>> contrary to Apache principles.
>>
>> Do you have any proof supporting this wild speculation and generalization?
>> E.g. from talking to
>> community members? Some emails maybe? Anything?
>>
>> Just because we don't care what somebody calls themselves doesn't mean we
>> don't know and live by
>> Apache principles.
>
> For years, HLS has referred to himself as the "Lead". This is old news.
>
> So I'm unclear on the question? Do I need to pull up references for this?
> Or are you asking something else?

I asked for facts supporting your allegiation that the Tapestry community believes that in the Apache world something like a Lead exists.

Uli

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:33:37 -0200, Greg Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Face it: the Tapestry community believes the notion of "Lead" exists,
> contrary to Apache principles.

Hello, Greg!

I don't think the Tapestry community believes that, formally speaking,
Tapestry has a lead. On the other hand, this is a framework initially
created by a single person, who, for most years of a long history, was the
main contributor, so it's natural for people to consider him a leader,
even if the ASF doesn't have that title or role.

My two cents. :)