Should I start with T5

cyrille37
Hello,
I'm starting a new project which should be on line in september. I'm
thinking about using T5.
Is it a good idea ?
Is the T5 API will have big changes in a near futur ?
Thanks
Cyrille

Re: Should I start with T5

"Ulrich Stärk"
On Fr, 22.06.2007, 09:05, #Cyrille37# sagte:
> Hello,
> I'm starting a new project which should be on line in september. I'm
> thinking about using T5.
> Is it a good idea ?

No.
http://www.nabble.com/-T5--Reminder%3A-Tapestry-5-is-Alpha-tf3854247.html#a10919723

> Is the T5 API will have big changes in a near futur ?

I'd guess yes.

This is my personal opinion. Your situation might be different then mine
but I had to make a similar decision and voted agains T5 and I'm now using
T4 instead. Even if T5 gets released as scheduled in fall I'd still wait a
few months to give eventually existing defects a chance to show up and get
fixed.

Uli

Re: Should I start with T5

cyrille37
Ulrich Stärk a écrit :

> On Fr, 22.06.2007, 09:05, #Cyrille37# sagte:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm starting a new project which should be on line in september. I'm
>> thinking about using T5.
>> Is it a good idea ?
>>

> No.
> http://www.nabble.com/-T5--Reminder%3A-Tapestry-5-is-Alpha-tf3854247.html#a10919723
>

>> Is the T5 API will have big changes in a near futur ?
>>

> I'd guess yes.
>
> This is my personal opinion. Your situation might be different then mine
> but I had to make a similar decision and voted agains T5 and I'm now using
> T4 instead. Even if T5 gets released as scheduled in fall I'd still wait a
> few months to give eventually existing defects a chance to show up and get
> fixed.
>
> Uli

Thank you Uli.

cheers
Cyrille.

Re: Should I start with T5

Massimo Lusetti
On 6/22/07, Ulrich Stärk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fr, 22.06.2007, 09:05, #Cyrille37# sagte:
> > Hello,
> > I'm starting a new project which should be on line in september. I'm
> > thinking about using T5.
> > Is it a good idea ?
>
> No.
> http://www.nabble.com/-T5--Reminder%3A-Tapestry-5-is-Alpha-tf3854247.html#a10919723

I've already started two prototypes for projects whose dead line is
end of August and October with T5, my gain of productivity has been so
huge that i can (happily) afford some refactoring if needed.

I started this way from the first week of T5.

> > Is the T5 API will have big changes in a near futur ?
>
> I'd guess yes.
>
> This is my personal opinion. Your situation might be different then mine
> but I had to make a similar decision and voted agains T5 and I'm now using
> T4 instead. Even if T5 gets released as scheduled in fall I'd still wait a
> few months to give eventually existing defects a chance to show up and get
> fixed.

Use it, report it back, fix it. So my word are: go for it.

--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: Should I start with T5

cyrille37
Massimo Lusetti a écrit :

> On 6/22/07, Ulrich Stärk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fr, 22.06.2007, 09:05, #Cyrille37# sagte:
>> > Hello,
>> > I'm starting a new project which should be on line in september. I'm
>> > thinking about using T5.
>> > Is it a good idea ?
>>
>> No.
>> http://www.nabble.com/-T5--Reminder%3A-Tapestry-5-is-Alpha-tf3854247.html#a10919723
>>

> I've already started two prototypes for projects whose dead line is
> end of August and October with T5, my gain of productivity has been so
> huge that i can (happily) afford some refactoring if needed.
>
> I started this way from the first week of T5.
>
>> > Is the T5 API will have big changes in a near futur ?
>>
>> I'd guess yes.
>>
>> This is my personal opinion. Your situation might be different then mine
>> but I had to make a similar decision and voted agains T5 and I'm now
>> using
>> T4 instead. Even if T5 gets released as scheduled in fall I'd still
>> wait a
>> few months to give eventually existing defects a chance to show up
>> and get
>> fixed.
>
> Use it, report it back, fix it. So my word are: go for it.

Thank you Massimo

Now I've got two opinions ... It's the best to do my choice ;-)

cheers
cyrille

Re: Should I start with T5

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
> Now I've got two opinions ... It's the best to do my choice ;-)

To do your choice, I suggest you to take a look at the comments of this
blog post by Warner Onstine, author of Tapestry 101:
http://jroller.com/page/WarnerOnstine?entry=why_hasn_t_tapestry_been

Pay attention specially to the Howard comments.

Selected snippet:

"That's what's behind Tapestry 5. Simplification at every level, all the
lessons learned over the last seven years baked right in. Designed for
developers, not tool makers (where did that comment about "requiring tool
support" come from?). Further, the design of Tapestry 5 was created
specifically to make it possible to continue adding features without
breaking backwards compatibility going forward. There will not need to be
a Tapestry 6."

I also suggest you to take a look at Tapestry 5 documentation. Your code
will have very little dependency on T5, mostly annotations. As already
mentioned in this thread, development with it is fast and easy.

Re: Should I start with T5

Daniel Jue
I started a project last June with Tap 4.0.1.  "Needing" some AJAX
features, I tried 4.1.2 around March.  Then I got tempted into trying
snapshots, since that was the only way to get bug fixes and updates
(which were great btw).  Then I saw the Tapestry 5, Screencast 5.  I
just couldn't hold out anymore.  T5 didn't have AJAX, but I was
willing to work around that.  Around the end of May (a couple weeks) I
had converted my project to using Tap 5.0.5.  Since I had picked up
the basics of Maven, I've felt very comfortable about living on
T5.0.5-Snapshots.  I also benefited a lot from the directory structure
laid out by the Maven sample archetype.  This was my first J2EE
application, and I work alone.  I am the only one in my company using
Tapestry, so I rely on this list and websites for help.

In this past year, I've gone from knowing just plain Java 1.4 to
these, in order:

Java 5 (generics and annotations), Tomcat 5.5, Tapestry 4 basics,
PL/SQL basics, JDBC,
JNDI, Tap 4.1 basics, Tap 5 basics, Hibernate basics, a little Spring,
Acegi (Spring Security) basics.

I'm not trying to brag, my point is that it depends on what you are
going to need for your application as a whole.  Will you need robust
AJAX support?  How many other libraries/frameworks will you need to
integrate or learn before it's deployed?

If all you need are the basic things Tapestry 5 can give you now (see
the Tapestry 5 website), or you already know all the other stuff well
(especially IoC/AOP), then I think Tapestry 5 will be fine to start
with.  Just add coffee!