Single Page Application

jmgarrido
Hello, are there any good example of doing a single page application using
Tapestry ?

Thank you.

Re: Single Page Application

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Juan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, are there any good example of doing a single page application using
> Tapestry ?

Hello!

Although Tapestry isn't really built for single page applications, it can
be used to build the server side of them. This section of the documentation
will tell you the easiest way of calling Java code (i.e. event handler
methods) from JavaScript:
https://tapestry.apache.org/ajax-and-zones.html#AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript
.

Any further questions, ask away! :)

Re: Single Page Application

Michael Gentry
Tapestry RESTEasy is also quite nice:

http://www.tynamo.org/tapestry-resteasy+guide/

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Juan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello, are there any good example of doing a single page application
> using
> > Tapestry ?
> >

> Hello!
>
> Although Tapestry isn't really built for single page applications, it can
> be used to build the server side of them. This section of the documentation
> will tell you the easiest way of calling Java code (i.e. event handler
> methods) from JavaScript:
>
> https://tapestry.apache.org/ajax-and-zones.html#AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript
> .
>
> Any further questions, ask away! :)

Re: Single Page Application

Jay Ginete
I blogged about tapestry SPA back in 2013 to see how it works. I was using
AngularJS (aka Angular1). I haven't updated it since I came to the
conclusion there are easier ways to do SPAs.

https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tapestry RESTEasy is also quite nice:
>
> http://www.tynamo.org/tapestry-resteasy+guide/
>

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Juan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello, are there any good example of doing a single page application
> > using
> > > Tapestry ?
> > >

> > Hello!
> >
> > Although Tapestry isn't really built for single page applications, it can
> > be used to build the server side of them. This section of the
> documentation
> > will tell you the easiest way of calling Java code (i.e. event handler
> > methods) from JavaScript:
> >
> > https://tapestry.apache.org/ajax-and-zones.html#
> AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript
> > .
> >
> > Any further questions, ask away! :)
> >
> > --
> > Thiago

Re: Single Page Application

Michael Gentry
Hi Jay,

Which easier ways are you envisioning?

Thanks,

mrg

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Jay Ginete <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I blogged about tapestry SPA back in 2013 to see how it works. I was using
> AngularJS (aka Angular1). I haven't updated it since I came to the
> conclusion there are easier ways to do SPAs.
>

> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Tapestry RESTEasy is also quite nice:
> >
> > http://www.tynamo.org/tapestry-resteasy+guide/
> >

> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 5:40 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > using
> > > >

> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Although Tapestry isn't really built for single page applications, it
> can
> > > be used to build the server side of them. This section of the
> > documentation
> > > will tell you the easiest way of calling Java code (i.e. event handler
> > > methods) from JavaScript:
> > >
> > > https://tapestry.apache.org/ajax-and-zones.html#
> > AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript
> > > .
> > >
> > > Any further questions, ask away! :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thiago

Re: Single Page Application

Peter Skala
Hi,

I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x) few years ago,
then used angular in two commercial projects.
After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of view, more
efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I have shortly
described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this mailink list.
Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic and responsive
as well.

regards, Peter

> Hi Jay,
>
> Which easier ways are you envisioning?
>
> Thanks,
>
> mrg
>

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Jay Ginete <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I blogged about tapestry SPA back in 2013 to see how it works. I was using
>> AngularJS (aka Angular1). I haven't updated it since I came to the
>> conclusion there are easier ways to do SPAs.
>>

>> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html
>>
>> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Michael Gentry <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Tapestry RESTEasy is also quite nice:
>> >
>> > http://www.tynamo.org/tapestry-resteasy+guide/

>> can
>> > documentation

>> > AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript

Re: Single Page Application

Daniel Honig
Why tapestry is a great framework, why not consider a purpose built
framework for this such as JHipster?

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
> few years ago,
> then used angular in two commercial projects.
> After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
> view, more
> efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
> have shortly
> described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
> mailink list.
> Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
> and responsive
> as well.
>
> regards, Peter
>
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> > Which easier ways are you envisioning?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > mrg
> >

> > On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Jay Ginete <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I blogged about tapestry SPA back in 2013 to see how it works. I was
> using
> >> AngularJS (aka Angular1). I haven't updated it since I came to the
> >> conclusion there are easier ways to do SPAs.
> >>

> >> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-
> tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> application

> it
> >> can
> handler

Re: Single Page Application

duymap
Agree with Daniel. If you want to build Single page, Tapestry is not great
choice. Please use Jhispter (https://www.jhipster.tech/) to do. With a lot
of commercial project finished using that,  I believe this is better choice
than Tapestry.

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Honig <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Why tapestry is a great framework, why not consider a purpose built
> framework for this such as JHipster?
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
> > few years ago,
> > then used angular in two commercial projects.
> > After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
> > view, more
> > efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
> > have shortly
> > described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
> > mailink list.
> > Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
> > and responsive
> > as well.
> >
> > regards, Peter
> >
> > > Hi Jay,
> > >
> > > Which easier ways are you envisioning?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > mrg

> > using

> > tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> [hidden email]>

> > application

> > it
> > handler

Chung Khánh Duy
Director of Technology
Formos

Re: Single Page Application

jmgarrido
Hi Peter,

do you have any open source example? or maybe if you cannot show any code,
a link to an explanation, or guidelines, or descrption of how you do it?

Thank you.

El mié., 30 may. 2018 18:58, <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi,
>
> I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
> few years ago,
> then used angular in two commercial projects.
> After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
> view, more
> efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
> have shortly
> described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
> mailink list.
> Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
> and responsive
> as well.
>
> regards, Peter
>
> > Hi Jay,
> >
> > Which easier ways are you envisioning?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > mrg
> >

> > On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 8:56 PM Jay Ginete <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I blogged about tapestry SPA back in 2013 to see how it works. I was
> using
> >> AngularJS (aka Angular1). I haven't updated it since I came to the
> >> conclusion there are easier ways to do SPAs.
> >>

> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> application

> it
> >> can
> handler

Re: Single Page Application

jmgarrido
Wow thank you very much. Didnt know about that framework. It looks very
good. I liked tapestry a lot as mvc component framework. But I dont know
much about SPAs and i'm gonna dive a litte into it. Thanks a lot.

El jue., 31 may. 2018 12:20, Chung Duy <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Agree with Daniel. If you want to build Single page, Tapestry is not great
> choice. Please use Jhispter (https://www.jhipster.tech/) to do. With a lot
> of commercial project finished using that,  I believe this is better choice
> than Tapestry.
>

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Honig <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Why tapestry is a great framework, why not consider a purpose built
> > framework for this such as JHipster?
> >
> > On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
> > > few years ago,
> > > then used angular in two commercial projects.
> > > After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
> > > view, more
> > > efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that
> > > have shortly
> > > described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
> > > mailink list.
> > > Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
> > > and responsive
> > > as well.
> > >
> > > regards, Peter

> > > using

> > > tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]>

> > > application

> applications,
> > > it
> > > handler

> Chung Khánh Duy
> Director of Technology
> Formos

Re: Single Page Application

Well, if you want to build an SPA and use Tapestry, you can use zones,
probably a lot of them, for that. Of course, the end result will probably
not be as good as using SPA-specific tools, but it's definitely doable.

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:16 AM, Daniel Honig <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Why tapestry is a great framework, why not consider a purpose built
> framework for this such as JHipster?
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:57 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
> > few years ago,
> > then used angular in two commercial projects.
> > After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
> > view, more
> > efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
> > have shortly
> > described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
> > mailink list.
> > Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
> > and responsive
> > as well.
> >
> > regards, Peter
> >
> > > Hi Jay,
> > >
> > > Which easier ways are you envisioning?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > mrg

> > using

> > tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> [hidden email]>

> > application

> > it
> > handler

Re: Single Page Application

Peter Skala
Hi Juan,

unfortunatelly I do not have a self-contained example of this approach that I could
provide you now. Here:

I posted some JS code which demonstrates, how you can use tapestry-generated html zone
content directly, without the dependency on html forms.
At the same time, values, put in the JSON response object on the server side, are
available in the client response object, which you can use further to customize the
behavior. As Thiago remarked, you can use as many zones, as you need. Yo can use them
as a kind of templating, most of them leaving invisible in the beginning and switching
them on, depending on the site context.

The advantage is the power of the component composition of tapestry an its transparence.
Otherwise you would need much more complex ecosystem to reach such a expressiveness.

If you decide to try to use the approach and remain stuck with some problem, just let
me know, I shall support you, as far as possible.

With regards, Peter

> Hi Peter,
>
> do you have any open source example? or maybe if you cannot show any code,
> a link to an explanation, or guidelines, or descrption of how you do it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> El mié., 30 may. 2018 18:58, <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
>> few years ago,
>> then used angular in two commercial projects.
>> After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
>> view, more
>> efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
>> have shortly
>> described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
>> mailink list.
>> Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
>> and responsive
>> as well.
>>
>> regards, Peter
>>
>> > Hi Jay,
>> >
>> > Which easier ways are you envisioning?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > mrg

>> using
>> >>

>> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html

>> application

>> it
>> handler

Re: Single Page Application

Carlos Montero Canabal
Some years ago I develop mi personal website (http://dev.carlosmontero.es <http://dev.carlosmontero.es/>) as a SPA with tapestry using the zones system (you can try navigate and check on Network dev tools the requests and responses). I have to say that for a small project, It´s not so difficult to implement, but for medium-big projects, I think that tapestry isn´t the best approach for it. If I have some free time this week I hope to upload a simple example to http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/ <http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/>

Regards

Carlos Montero

> El 3/6/2018, a las 9:07, [hidden email] escribió:
>
> Hi Juan,
>
> unfortunatelly I do not have a self-contained example of this approach that I could
> provide you now. Here:

> I posted some JS code which demonstrates, how you can use tapestry-generated html zone
> content directly, without the dependency on html forms.
> At the same time, values, put in the JSON response object on the server side, are
> available in the client response object, which you can use further to customize the
> behavior. As Thiago remarked, you can use as many zones, as you need. Yo can use them
> as a kind of templating, most of them leaving invisible in the beginning and switching
> them on, depending on the site context.
>
> The advantage is the power of the component composition of tapestry an its transparence.
> Otherwise you would need much more complex ecosystem to reach such a expressiveness.
>
> If you decide to try to use the approach and remain stuck with some problem, just let
> me know, I shall support you, as far as possible.
>
> With regards, Peter
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> do you have any open source example? or maybe if you cannot show any code,
>> a link to an explanation, or guidelines, or descrption of how you do it?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> El mié., 30 may. 2018 18:58, <[hidden email]> escribió:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been experimenting with the combination tapestry + angular (1.x)
>>> few years ago,
>>> then used angular in two commercial projects.
>>> After this experience I believe, that it is, at least from my point of
>>> view, more
>>> efficient to use AMD (requireJS) and tapestry components in a way that I
>>> have shortly
>>> described in February this year in an reaction to a question in this
>>> mailink list.
>>> Nicely structured apps can be built in this way, which are very dynamic
>>> and responsive
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> regards, Peter

>>> using
>>>>>

>>> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html

>>> application

>>> it
>>> handler

Re: Single Page Application

bobharner
Carlos, it'll be great to see that SPA example on your dev-util site.
Looking forward to it!

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 5:05 AM Carlos Montero Canabal <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some years ago I develop mi personal website (http://dev.carlosmontero.es
> <http://dev.carlosmontero.es/>) as a SPA with tapestry using the zones
> system (you can try navigate and check on Network dev tools the requests
> and responses). I have to say that for a small project, It´s not so
> difficult to implement, but for medium-big projects, I think that tapestry
> isn´t the best approach for it. If I have some free time this week I hope
> to upload a simple example to http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/ <
> http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/>
>
> Regards
>
> Carlos Montero
>

> > El 3/6/2018, a las 9:07, [hidden email] escribió:
> >
> > Hi Juan,
> >
> > unfortunatelly I do not have a self-contained example of this approach
> that I could
> > provide you now. Here:

> > I posted some JS code which demonstrates, how you can use
> tapestry-generated html zone
> > content directly, without the dependency on html forms.
> > At the same time, values, put in the JSON response object on the server
> side, are
> > available in the client response object, which you can use further to
> customize the
> > behavior. As Thiago remarked, you can use as many zones, as you need. Yo
> can use them
> > as a kind of templating, most of them leaving invisible in the beginning
> and switching
> > them on, depending on the site context.
> >
> > The advantage is the power of the component composition of tapestry an
> its transparence.
> > Otherwise you would need much more complex ecosystem to reach such a
> expressiveness.
> >
> > If you decide to try to use the approach and remain stuck with some
> problem, just let
> > me know, I shall support you, as far as possible.
> >
> > With regards, Peter
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> do you have any open source example? or maybe if you cannot show any
> code,
> >> a link to an explanation, or guidelines, or descrption of how you do it?
> >>
> >> Thank you.

> https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-tapestry-with-angularjs.html

Re: Single Page Application

Carlos Montero Canabal
Hi Tapestry users,

I have just upload a very simple example (but it works perfectly) of a SPA:
http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/specialpages/spa where we have a Route Page
(Index) and separate pages, each one with his internal code/tml.

I'm thinking on upload the source code of my personal website but I think
it worse... I only upload the code necessary to start and understand the
way to do it.

I hope my example helps you

Regards

Carlos Montero Canabal

> Carlos, it'll be great to see that SPA example on your dev-util site.
> Looking forward to it!
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 5:05 AM Carlos Montero Canabal <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Some years ago I develop mi personal website (
> http://dev.carlosmontero.es
> > <http://dev.carlosmontero.es/>) as a SPA with tapestry using the zones
> > system (you can try navigate and check on Network dev tools the requests
> > and responses). I have to say that for a small project, It´s not so
> > difficult to implement, but for medium-big projects, I think that
> tapestry
> > isn´t the best approach for it. If I have some free time this week I hope
> > to upload a simple example to http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/ <
> > http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/>
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Carlos Montero
> >

> > > El 3/6/2018, a las 9:07, [hidden email] escribió:
> > >
> > > Hi Juan,
> > >
> > > unfortunatelly I do not have a self-contained example of this approach
> > that I could
> > > provide you now. Here:

> n5.nabble.com/In-which-direction-is-Tapestry-heading-
> td5733862.html#a5733882
> > >
> > > I posted some JS code which demonstrates, how you can use
> > tapestry-generated html zone
> > > content directly, without the dependency on html forms.
> > > At the same time, values, put in the JSON response object on the server
> > side, are
> > > available in the client response object, which you can use further to
> > customize the
> > > behavior. As Thiago remarked, you can use as many zones, as you need.
> Yo
> > can use them
> > > as a kind of templating, most of them leaving invisible in the
> beginning
> > and switching
> > > them on, depending on the site context.
> > >
> > > The advantage is the power of the component composition of tapestry an
> > its transparence.
> > > Otherwise you would need much more complex ecosystem to reach such a
> > expressiveness.
> > >
> > > If you decide to try to use the approach and remain stuck with some
> > problem, just let
> > > me know, I shall support you, as far as possible.
> > >
> > > With regards, Peter

> > code,
> it?

> (1.x)
> of
> that
> dynamic

> [hidden email]>

> was
> > >>>>>

> > https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-
> tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> [hidden email]

> [hidden email]

> applications,

Re: Single Page Application

jmgarrido
Gracias Carlos.

El mar., 5 jun. 2018 18:47, Carlos Montero Canabal <
[hidden email]> escribió:

> Hi Tapestry users,
>
> I have just upload a very simple example (but it works perfectly) of a SPA:
> http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/specialpages/spa where we have a Route Page
> (Index) and separate pages, each one with his internal code/tml.
>
> I'm thinking on upload the source code of my personal website but I think
> it worse... I only upload the code necessary to start and understand the
> way to do it.
>
> I hope my example helps you
>
> Regards
>
> Carlos Montero Canabal

> > Carlos, it'll be great to see that SPA example on your dev-util site.
> > Looking forward to it!
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 5:05 AM Carlos Montero Canabal <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Some years ago I develop mi personal website (
> > http://dev.carlosmontero.es
> > > <http://dev.carlosmontero.es/>) as a SPA with tapestry using the zones
> > > system (you can try navigate and check on Network dev tools the
> requests
> > > and responses). I have to say that for a small project, It´s not so
> > > difficult to implement, but for medium-big projects, I think that
> > tapestry
> > > isn´t the best approach for it. If I have some free time this week I
> hope
> > > to upload a simple example to http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/ <
> > > http://tapestry5.dev-util.com/>
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Carlos Montero

> approach
> > > that I could

> > n5.nabble.com/In-which-direction-is-Tapestry-heading-
> > td5733862.html#a5733882

> > > tapestry-generated html zone
> server
> > > side, are
> > > customize the
> > Yo
> > > can use them
> > beginning
> > > and switching

> an
> > > its transparence.
> > > expressiveness.

> > > problem, just let

> > > code,
> > it?

> > (1.x)
> > of
> > that
> this
> > dynamic

> > [hidden email]>

> > was
> the
> > > >>>>>

> > > https://killertilapia.blogspot.com/2013/06/resteasy-
> > tapestry-with-angularjs.html

> > [hidden email]

> > [hidden email]

> > applications,

> AjaxandZones-Invokingserver-sideeventhandlermethodsfromJavaScript

Re: Single Page Application

Kalle Korhonen-2
I've done SPAs with Tapestry but more recently, I've gone over the "dark
side" to develop SPAs with Clojure. I re-implemented one Tapestry+Ember
project as a functionally equivalent Clojure app, and I just posted
lines-of-code comparison plus other notes about it (
http://www.tynamo.org/2018/07/02/arbitrarily-complex-uis/). In short, while
you can implement SPAs with Tapestry, there are more productive options
just for that purpose.

Kalle