Spring boot integration

David Taylor
Is there any interest in providing support for running Tapestry in
Spring Boot?

We have been running Tapestry on Tomcat and Jetty for years and recently
decided to give Spring Boot a try. I initially looked at the
tapestry-boot project on github, but decided to create our own
implementation borrowing as much as possible from Tapestry and a few
bits related to asset management from tapestry-boot.

The resulting application we created is very streamlined and benefits
from the many features built into spring boot. Pretty amazing how little
code it actually takes to get a new application up and running.

If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to share the
non-proprietary portions of our work. Perhaps this might be a good
feature for Tapestry 5.5?

David

Re: Spring boot integration

Miguel O. Carvajal
This is very interesting. I'd be interested in taking a look at this.

Regards,

Miguel

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 11, 2017, at 1:16 AM, David Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is there any interest in providing support for running Tapestry in Spring Boot?
>
> We have been running Tapestry on Tomcat and Jetty for years and recently decided to give Spring Boot a try. I initially looked at the tapestry-boot project on github, but decided to create our own implementation borrowing as much as possible from Tapestry and a few bits related to asset management from tapestry-boot.
>
> The resulting application we created is very streamlined and benefits from the many features built into spring boot. Pretty amazing how little code it actually takes to get a new application up and running.
>
> If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to share the non-proprietary portions of our work. Perhaps this might be a good feature for Tapestry 5.5?
>
> David

Re: Spring boot integration

Hello, David!

Why didn't you use tapestry-boot and wrote your own? Just curious. I know
sometimes we need to reinvent a wheel, and sometimes we do it just because
its fun. :)

The Tapestry team has an informal policy of usually keeping integrations,
specially ones not written by the team, outside of the Tapestry project
because it's a small team working on their free time, so it would be more
code to maintain in the long term. On the other hand, the team would be
more than happy to include your integration in
https://tapestry.apache.org/modules.html. Also, feel free to announce it in
the user mailing list.

Thanks for the offer! I'll definitely take a look when it's public. :)

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:16 AM, David Taylor <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Is there any interest in providing support for running Tapestry in Spring
> Boot?
>
> We have been running Tapestry on Tomcat and Jetty for years and recently
> decided to give Spring Boot a try. I initially looked at the tapestry-boot
> project on github, but decided to create our own implementation borrowing
> as much as possible from Tapestry and a few bits related to asset
> management from tapestry-boot.
>
> The resulting application we created is very streamlined and benefits from
> the many features built into spring boot. Pretty amazing how little code it
> actually takes to get a new application up and running.
>
> If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to share the
> non-proprietary portions of our work. Perhaps this might be a good feature
> for Tapestry 5.5?
>
> David

Re: Spring boot integration

David Taylor
Hi Thiago,

> Why didn't you use tapestry-boot and wrote your own? Just curious. I know
> sometimes we need to reinvent a wheel, and sometimes we do it just because
> its fun. :)
There is nothing inherently broken with the Tapestry-Boot project, but
it does not seem to be well maintained and is a little rough around the
edges. I also do not see any license terms so it is unclear whether it
can be used in a commercial product. I posted a request asking the
author to add a license file in hopes of being able to contribute code
to improve the project, but have not yet received a response.

Given we are using the Spring Boot integration as part of a new
commercial product, it was imperative to have a code base that can be
maintained over time. I considered forking the project, but decided it
would be better to build upon the native Tapestry startup logic so we
fully understand the design decisions taken. Tapestry-Boot appears to
have been conceived using a similar approach, but we took a rather
different path to wiring Tapestry into the spring boot environment. We
also added some nice features such as a FailureAnalyzer that reports
common configuration problems.

> The Tapestry team has an informal policy of usually keeping integrations,
> specially ones not written by the team, outside of the Tapestry project
> because it's a small team working on their free time, so it would be more
> code to maintain in the long term. On the other hand, the team would be
> more than happy to include your integration in
> https://tapestry.apache.org/modules.html. Also, feel free to announce it in
> the user mailing list.

Understood. Our time is also at a premium so we are very selective about
where choose to spend our spare time. The module we are talking about is
not huge. Around a dozen files, many of which are derived from Tapestry
sources or are very simple.

The hope was not to simply throw something out there in hopes it would
be useful, but rather to find like minded developers willing to
collaborate on creating a first-class Spring Boot integration. While
Tapestry is very usable in its current form, we find that the Spring
Boot integration greatly simplifies the work to get a production quality
application up and running. Bootstrapping a new tapestry project in
gradle is very easy and takes well under a 100 lines for a full featured
build script.

Thanks,
David

emailsig eXtensia Technologies, Inc. <http://www.extensiatech.com>

*David Taylor*
Direct Line: 703-398-1264
Mobile: 571-278-1869
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

This message contains information that is confidential and proprietary
to eXtensia Technologies. It is intended only for the recipient named
and for the express purpose described therein. Any other use is prohibited.