Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

seloha .
I am getting an error message:

Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
$UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel

which highlights this line in my template:

<input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>

after I have pressed this cancel button.

In my page specification I have:

<property name="whichButton"/>

and in my java file I have:

public abstract String getWhichButton();

I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was being
pressed.

Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

pferraro
In 4.0, component parameters have a default binding type.  The default
binding type for the "selected" parameter is ognl:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/current/tapestry/ComponentReference/Submit.html

Try this instead:

<input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
selected="whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>

It appears that Tapestry is trying to parse "ognl:whichButton" as an
ognl expression, instead of just "whichButton".

Confused?  Me too.  I was under the impression that "ognl:whichButton"
would still work...

Paul

seloha . wrote:

> I am getting an error message:
>
> Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
> $UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel
>
> which highlights this line in my template:
>
> <input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
> selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit =
> null;"/>
>
> after I have pressed this cancel button.
>
> In my page specification I have:
>
> <property name="whichButton"/>
>
> and in my java file I have:
>
> public abstract String getWhichButton();
>
> I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was
> being pressed.
>
> Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

seloha .
Thanks Paul

That was one of the first things I had already tried but found that it still
did not work.

I am still unable to get this working and it is reasonably important for me
to be able to continue using 4.0 since it is how I tend to always submit
forms with multiple buttons.

I should state that the title of the exception is:
org.apache.tapestry.BindingException which then proceeds with the more
detailed description in the original email. This is still the same with the
ognl: removed from the selected tag. Even more confused.

Paul

seloha . wrote:

          I am getting an error message:

Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
$UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel

which highlights this line in my template:

<input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>

after I have pressed this cancel button.

In my page specification I have:

<property name="whichButton"/>

and in my java file I have:

public abstract String getWhichButton();

I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was being
pressed.

Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

Mikaël Cluseau
to me, it seems that the «tag» attribute is interpreted as OGNL... try
tag="'cancel'".

Le jeudi 26 mai 2005 à 12:18 +0100, seloha . a écrit :

> I am getting an error message:
>
> Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
> $UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel
>
> which highlights this line in my template:
>
> <input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
> selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>
>
> after I have pressed this cancel button.
>
> In my page specification I have:
>
> <property name="whichButton"/>
>
> and in my java file I have:
>
> public abstract String getWhichButton();
>
> I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was being
> pressed.
>
> Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

RE: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

richard.hensley
or tag="literal:cancel"

to me, it seems that the «tag» attribute is interpreted as OGNL... try
tag="'cancel'".

Le jeudi 26 mai 2005 à 12:18 +0100, seloha . a écrit :

> I am getting an error message:
>
> Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
> $UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel
>
> which highlights this line in my template:
>
> <input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
> selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>
>
> after I have pressed this cancel button.
>
> In my page specification I have:
>
> <property name="whichButton"/>
>
> and in my java file I have:
>
> public abstract String getWhichButton();
>
> I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was being
> pressed.
>
> Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

pferraro
Yes - you guys are right.  I think we should change the default binding
of the tag parameter to literal, instead of ognl.

Hensley, Richard wrote:

>or tag="literal:cancel"

Patrick Casey

        Could I take this opportunity to re-raise my earlier request that we
set all the default bindings to the same thing :)? Having some bindings
expect litterals, and some expect expressions is the source of lots and lots
of errors, and not just in newbies either.

        I for one would be perfectly happy if I either *always* had to type
ognl: to get an expression, or *always* had to type "literal:" to get a
literal. The current system where sometimes "foo" is a literal and sometimes
its an expression though seems like a huge source of confusion for an
extraordinarily minor saving in keystrokes.

        --- Pat

Jamie Orchard-Hays
Judging from the confusion I've seen in the past few weeks, I'm inclined
to agree. The defaults idea was well-intentioned, but if it leads to
this much confusion, then it's not worth it.

Jamie

Patrick Casey wrote:

> Could I take this opportunity to re-raise my earlier request that we
> set all the default bindings to the same thing :)? Having some bindings
> expect litterals, and some expect expressions is the source of lots and lots
> of errors, and not just in newbies either.
>
> I for one would be perfectly happy if I either *always* had to type
> ognl: to get an expression, or *always* had to type "literal:" to get a
> literal. The current system where sometimes "foo" is a literal and sometimes
> its an expression though seems like a huge source of confusion for an
> extraordinarily minor saving in keystrokes.
>
> --- Pat

I agree all attributes should use the same prefix.

I would propose that literal: be that prefix for the following reasons
primarily because Tapestry 3 attributes were literal, and binding in the
specification has changed so much that a change there has less impact than a
change for the html template.

Because of this issue, I've taken on the habit of using a prefix with all
attributes now.

Patrick Casey wrote:
> Could I take this opportunity to re-raise my earlier request that we
> set all the default bindings to the same thing :)? Having some bindings
> expect litterals, and some expect expressions is the source of lots and
lots
> of errors, and not just in newbies either.
>
> I for one would be perfectly happy if I either *always* had to type
> ognl: to get an expression, or *always* had to type "literal:" to get a
> literal. The current system where sometimes "foo" is a literal and
sometimes

> its an expression though seems like a huge source of confusion for an
> extraordinarily minor saving in keystrokes.
>
> --- Pat

Yes - I agree.  I prefer that literal be the default binding for
everything (as is the case for informal parameters).
I encourage you to post your comments on new (4.0) features to the dev
list so that your opinions will have greater visibility.  If enough
users find this feature annoying, maybe Howard and Erik will change
their minds...

Paul

Patrick Casey wrote:

> Could I take this opportunity to re-raise my earlier request that we
>set all the default bindings to the same thing :)? Having some bindings
>expect litterals, and some expect expressions is the source of lots and lots
>of errors, and not just in newbies either.
>
> I for one would be perfectly happy if I either *always* had to type
>ognl: to get an expression, or *always* had to type "literal:" to get a
>literal. The current system where sometimes "foo" is a literal and sometimes
>its an expression though seems like a huge source of confusion for an
>extraordinarily minor saving in keystrokes.
>
> --- Pat

        I'm not on the dev list; I'm just a lowly user :).

        --- Pat

<snip>

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

Erik Hatcher
For the record, I concur with the confusion the default prefix has
caused as well.

It still seems unnecessarily a violation of DRY to repeat "listener"
multiple times to bind to a single listener, but the duplication is
better than confusion and difficulty in tracking down issues.

     Erik

On May 26, 2005, at 6:58 PM, Jamie Orchard-Hays wrote:

> Judging from the confusion I've seen in the past few weeks, I'm
> inclined to agree. The defaults idea was well-intentioned, but if
> it leads to this much confusion, then it's not worth it.
>
> Jamie
>
> Patrick Casey wrote:
>
>>     Could I take this opportunity to re-raise my earlier request
>> that we
>> set all the default bindings to the same thing :)? Having some
>> bindings
>> expect litterals, and some expect expressions is the source of
>> lots and lots
>> of errors, and not just in newbies either.
>>     I for one would be perfectly happy if I either *always* had to
>> type
>> ognl: to get an expression, or *always* had to type "literal:" to
>> get a
>> literal. The current system where sometimes "foo" is a literal and
>> sometimes
>> its an expression though seems like a huge source of confusion for an
>> extraordinarily minor saving in keystrokes.
>>     --- Pat

both tag="'cancel'" and tag="literal:cancel" worked fine.

Paul

Re: Tapestry 4.0 Unable to read OGNL expression

The most likely cause is that you haven't defined your Java class in
the .page file.

Failing that, it might be the case that tag parameter needs looking at.

The full stack trace would have been useful here. I'm surprised you
got as much response as you did, providing so little data.

On 5/26/05, seloha . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am getting an error message:
>
> Unable to read OGNL expression '<parsed OGNL expression>' of
> $UserAddPage_67@9bd23c[UserAdd]: $UserAddPage_67.cancel
>
> which highlights this line in my template:
>
> <input type="submit" jwcid="@Submit" value="Cancel"
> selected="ognl:whichButton" tag="cancel" onclick="form.onsubmit = null;"/>
>
> after I have pressed this cancel button.
>
> In my page specification I have:
>
> <property name="whichButton"/>
>
> and in my java file I have:
>
> public abstract String getWhichButton();
>
> I used this technique in Tapestry 3.0 to determine which button was being
> pressed.
>
> Has anyone any ideas why this now fails and how to fix it.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind