Tapestry 4 with a modern JVM

Steve Shaw
Good morning,

Short version: is there any information available on running Tapestry 4 (specifically 4.1.6) with a modern JVM (specifically Java 11, but we’d settle for information regarding Java 8)?

Longer version: I’m assisting a client with a platform modernization project. This particular code base is thirteen years old and a lot of the core technology has not been upgraded in several years. One of the key things we’d like to do is get to a supported version of Java, but I can’t find any information on whether this is even possible with the Tapestry dependency.

Right now the project is running on Java 7, which already goes beyond the supported JVMs listed at https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html <https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html> for 4.1.

I understand that the answer might be “try it and see”, but I’d like to check with the community to see if there’s any experience with this before jumping in.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Shaw | Principal Consultant, Shaw Software Solutions | 416-737-6665

Re: Tapestry 4 with a modern JVM

JumpStart
No responses? I think you’re right - it will be try it and see.

> On 31 Jan 2019, at 7:57 pm, Steve Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good morning,
>
> Short version: is there any information available on running Tapestry 4 (specifically 4.1.6) with a modern JVM (specifically Java 11, but we’d settle for information regarding Java 8)?
>
> Longer version: I’m assisting a client with a platform modernization project. This particular code base is thirteen years old and a lot of the core technology has not been upgraded in several years. One of the key things we’d like to do is get to a supported version of Java, but I can’t find any information on whether this is even possible with the Tapestry dependency.
>
> Right now the project is running on Java 7, which already goes beyond the supported JVMs listed at https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html <https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html> for 4.1.
>
> I understand that the answer might be “try it and see”, but I’d like to check with the community to see if there’s any experience with this before jumping in.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> --
> Steve Shaw | Principal Consultant, Shaw Software Solutions | 416-737-6665

Re: Tapestry 4 with a modern JVM

Numa Schmeder-5
Hi Steve,

I have the same problem, you will have a lot of issues. The best would be to transfer your app to tapestry 5, but you will be loosing all dojo compatibility and quite a lot of rework.
I am still hesitating on the best process. You will have to port a lot of code from external libraries (OGNL and many others)

Best regards,
Numa

  <http://www.dfacto.ch/> Numa Schmeder    www.dfacto.ch  <http://www.dfacto.ch/>
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>   |   M +41 79 538 30 01

DIGITAL STRATEGY   |   DESIGN   |   DEVELOPMENT

> Le 6 févr. 2019 à 15:46, JumpStart <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> No responses? I think you’re right - it will be try it and see.
>
>> On 31 Jan 2019, at 7:57 pm, Steve Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> Short version: is there any information available on running Tapestry 4 (specifically 4.1.6) with a modern JVM (specifically Java 11, but we’d settle for information regarding Java 8)?
>>
>> Longer version: I’m assisting a client with a platform modernization project. This particular code base is thirteen years old and a lot of the core technology has not been upgraded in several years. One of the key things we’d like to do is get to a supported version of Java, but I can’t find any information on whether this is even possible with the Tapestry dependency.
>>
>> Right now the project is running on Java 7, which already goes beyond the supported JVMs listed at https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html <https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html> for 4.1.
>>
>> I understand that the answer might be “try it and see”, but I’d like to check with the community to see if there’s any experience with this before jumping in.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Steve
>>
>> --
>> Steve Shaw | Principal Consultant, Shaw Software Solutions | 416-737-6665

Re: Tapestry 4 with a modern JVM

Ivano Luberti
Sorry for the late response.

I tried the same a few years ago but I was never abel to overcame issues
with javassist : version shipped with tapestry 4 was not compatible with
Java 8 and upgrading javasisst  not worked too.

Il 06/02/2019 15:50, Numa Schmeder ha scritto:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I have the same problem, you will have a lot of issues. The best would be to transfer your app to tapestry 5, but you will be loosing all dojo compatibility and quite a lot of rework.
> I am still hesitating on the best process. You will have to port a lot of code from external libraries (OGNL and many others)
>
> Best regards,
> Numa
>

>   <http://www.dfacto.ch/> Numa Schmeder    www.dfacto.ch  <http://www.dfacto.ch/>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>   |   M +41 79 538 30 01
>
> DIGITAL STRATEGY   |   DESIGN   |   DEVELOPMENT
>

>> Le 6 févr. 2019 à 15:46, JumpStart <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> No responses? I think you’re right - it will be try it and see.
>>
>>> On 31 Jan 2019, at 7:57 pm, Steve Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Good morning,
>>>
>>> Short version: is there any information available on running Tapestry 4 (specifically 4.1.6) with a modern JVM (specifically Java 11, but we’d settle for information regarding Java 8)?
>>>
>>> Longer version: I’m assisting a client with a platform modernization project. This particular code base is thirteen years old and a lot of the core technology has not been upgraded in several years. One of the key things we’d like to do is get to a supported version of Java, but I can’t find any information on whether this is even possible with the Tapestry dependency.
>>>
>>> Right now the project is running on Java 7, which already goes beyond the supported JVMs listed at https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html <https://tapestry.apache.org/supported-environments-and-versions.html> for 4.1.
>>>
>>> I understand that the answer might be “try it and see”, but I’d like to check with the community to see if there’s any experience with this before jumping in.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> --
>>> Steve Shaw | Principal Consultant, Shaw Software Solutions | 416-737-6665

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-8932061
web: www.archicoop.it
facebook: www.facebook.com/archimedeinformaticapisa/
twitter: twitter.com/archicoop

Re: Tapestry 4 with a modern JVM

Steve Shaw
Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I had suspected that version incompatibilities with some of the byte code and libraries and other utilities would prove to be the root cause of a lot of the problems.

We’ll keep this in mind as we determine our modernization strategy.

Thanks again,
Steve