Tapestry 5.5 beta release

12

Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo-3
Hello!

Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
own projects. What do you think?

Cheers!

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
+1

On Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 22:28 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
> thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
> own projects. What do you think?
>
> Cheers!

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 22:28 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
>> thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
>> own projects. What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers!
>> --
>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
One more think.

I remember the last time i checked Tapestry was throwing an exception when
a service interface had a static method defined (Static interface methods
are part of Java 9)

I am not sure if this was fixed with the recent changes

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:44 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 22:28 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
>>> thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
>>> own projects. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> --
>>> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.

Hmm, it would be nice, but I don't think it would be a trivial, quick thing
to do. Any takers? :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Nov 2018, 22:28 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
> >> thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
> >> own projects. What do you think?
> >>
> >> Cheers!
> >> --
> >> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:03 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> One more think.
>
> I remember the last time i checked Tapestry was throwing an exception when
> a service interface had a static method defined (Static interface methods
> are part of Java 9)
>
> I am not sure if this was fixed with the recent changes

I haven't checked myself, but I'd guess it was fixed, since ASM 7 supports
Java 11. I've ran some tests locally with Java 11, while compilation itself
was done with Java 8, and they passed.

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:44 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> +1

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:27 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.
> >

> Hmm, it would be nice, but I don't think it would be a trivial, quick thing
> to do. Any takers? :)
>

> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
I will check on that and let you know for sure

[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:03 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > One more think.
> >
> > I remember the last time i checked Tapestry was throwing an exception
> when
> > a service interface had a static method defined (Static interface methods
> > are part of Java 9)
> >
> > I am not sure if this was fixed with the recent changes
> >

> I haven't checked myself, but I'd guess it was fixed, since ASM 7 supports
> Java 11. I've ran some tests locally with Java 11, while compilation itself
> was done with Java 8, and they passed.
>

> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:44 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> > [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up with a
separate library to do this.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:27 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Even though it might be irrelevant i was also thinking of bootstrap 4.
> > >

> > Hmm, it would be nice, but I don't think it would be a trivial, quick
> thing
> > to do. Any takers? :)
> >

> > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:31 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> > > [hidden email]>

> was

> > --
> > Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
on that afterwards

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up with a
> separate library to do this.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:27 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> > [hidden email]

> 4.
> > > >

> > > Hmm, it would be nice, but I don't think it would be a trivial, quick
> > thing
> > > to do. Any takers? :)

> > was
> their

> > > --
> > > Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:36 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
> on that afterwards

Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
about them. :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> > tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up
> with a
> > separate library to do this.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

> > > [hidden email]

> > 4.

> > > thing

> > > was
> > their

> > --
> > Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
Sure but lets get 5.5 out the door first.

I have been going over the changes and i have some patches available.

First attached is the already mentioned issue with static interface methods

wrote:

> I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
> on that afterwards

Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
about them. :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> > tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up
> with a
> > separate library to do this.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

> > > [hidden email]

> > 4.

> > > thing

> > > was
> > their

> > --
> > Thiago

0001-Skip-static-interface-methods-when-proxying.patch (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
Another one small fix

wrote:

> I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
> on that afterwards

Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
about them. :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> > tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up
> with a
> > separate library to do this.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

> > > [hidden email]

> > 4.

> > > thing

> > > was
> > their

> > --
> > Thiago

0001-Misplaced-semicolon-resulted-in-the-test-to-not-run.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
One more

Correct test for TAP5-2582

wrote:

> I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
> on that afterwards

Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
about them. :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> > tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up
> with a
> > separate library to do this.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

> > > [hidden email]

> > 4.

> > > thing

> > > was
> > their

> > --
> > Thiago

0001-Correctly-implement-test-for-TAP5-2582.patch (14K) Download Attachment

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
Here are 3 more which they are more or less connected with JPA failing / disabled tests

Order of applying is important

Example if the 0001-fix-tomcat-runner-patch is not applied first then JPA JNDI test suite will fail

wrote:

> I have some ideas on that subject but lest get 5.5 out first and continue
> on that afterwards

Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
about them. :)

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it would break webapps styled with Bootstrap 4 due to the different
> > tagging. Maybe we (the Tapestry team or the community) could come up
> with a
> > separate library to do this.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:30 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Its not so huge my main concern is the backwards compatibility

> > > [hidden email]

> > 4.

> > > thing

> > > was
> > their

> > --
> > Thiago

0002-AnnotationAccess-documentation-specifies-that-both-m.patch (5K) Download Attachment
0001-Fix-tomcat-runner.patch (4K) Download Attachment
0003-Refactor-JPA-transaction-advisor-and-enable-all-the-.patch (49K) Download Attachment

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Another one small fix

Thank you very much! But could you please describe what the problem was and
what the fix is? :) I've read the patch but I couldn't immediately
understand.

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 1:51 AM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Sure but lets get 5.5 out the door first.
>>
>> I have been going over the changes and i have some patches available.
>>
>> First attached is the already mentioned issue with static interface
>> methods
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 1:26 AM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:36 PM Dimitris Zenios <
>>> [hidden email]>

>>> continue
>>> >

>>> Nice! Could you please start a new thread with your ideas? I'm curious
>>> about them. :)

>>> different

>>> bootstrap

>>> quick

>>> 11,
>>> on

>>> [hidden email]

>>> --
>>> Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Dimitris Zenios
If yoy are talking about the first patch is about static methods in
interfaces.there is a test case that deacribes the problem

On Sun, 2 Dec 2018, 22:32 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <[hidden email]
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Another one small fix
> >

> Thank you very much! But could you please describe what the problem was and
> what the fix is? :) I've read the patch but I couldn't immediately
> understand.
>

> > On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 1:51 AM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Sure but lets get 5.5 out the door first.
> >>
> >> I have been going over the changes and i have some patches available.
> >>
> >> First attached is the already mentioned issue with static interface
> >> methods

> up

> Java

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 3:22 AM Dimitris Zenios <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If yoy are talking about the first patch is about static methods in
> interfaces.there is a test case that deacribes the problem

Thanks! What about the JPA one? That's the largest patch and the one I
really didn't understand.

> On Sun, 2 Dec 2018, 22:32 Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
>
> > On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Dimitris Zenios <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Another one small fix
> > >

> > Thank you very much! But could you please describe what the problem was
> and
> > what the fix is? :) I've read the patch but I couldn't immediately
> > understand.
> >

> > > On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 1:51 AM Dimitris Zenios <
> > [hidden email]>

> curious

> > up

> <

> trivial,

> <

> > Java
> it

> > [hidden email]

> > Thiago

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Massimo Lusetti
Great to see this... Thanks Thiago!

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 9:28 PM Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since we now have a working build and ASM 7 supporting Java 11, I was
> thinking of release a beta version so people could test it on their
> own projects. What do you think?
>
> Cheers!

Massimo Lusetti

Re: Tapestry 5.5 beta release

Hello, Dmitris!

I've finally applied all your patches included in this thread. Thanks
again! Of course, let's keep an eye on the Jenkins build.

12