Tapestry 5.5 progress

David Taylor
Hello,

Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release? Are there
specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
on at the moment.

We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
to help with troubleshooting of open issues.

Regards,
David

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM David Taylor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release?

We should get a release in the upcoming months.

> Are there
> specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
> related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
> on at the moment.

It was worked and it's already working, except for one specific case I'm
planning to fix this weekend (overriding of interface default methods).

> We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
> to help with troubleshooting of open issues.

Awesome! Please post any issues you find with Tapestry both here and in
Jira so we can properly track and fix them.

> Regards,
> David

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

David Taylor
Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Just following up to see where we are at with testing of 5.5-beta-3.  We
are testing using a private build from master to pickup the recent
changes and have not run into any compatibility issues so far.  I am
curious whether anyone has run into any show stoppers?

Assuming there are no blocking issues, what is the next step forward
with 5.5?

Regards,
David

On 6/18/2019 8:46 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM David Taylor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
> Hi!
>

>> Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release?
>
> We should get a release in the upcoming months.
>

>> Are there
>> specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
>> related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
>> on at the moment.
>>
> It was worked and it's already working, except for one specific case I'm
> planning to fix this weekend (overriding of interface default methods).
>

>> We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
>> to help with troubleshooting of open issues.
>>
> Awesome! Please post any issues you find with Tapestry both here and in
> Jira so we can properly track and fix them.
>

>> Regards,
>> David

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 10:30 PM David Taylor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

> Just following up to see where we are at with testing of 5.5-beta-3.  We
> are testing using a private build from master to pickup the recent
> changes and have not run into any compatibility issues so far.

Thanks for your testing and feedback!

> I am
> curious whether anyone has run into any show stoppers?
> Assuming there are no blocking issues, what is the next step forward
> with 5.5?

There's one last issue, even if it's a smaller one, which is the Glyphicon
component not rendering anything visible when Bootstrap isn't being used.
My plan is to use the free version of FontAwesome to cover that. After
that, unless some last minute showstopper appears, we would start the
process of releasing 5.5.0.

> Regards,
> David
>
> On 6/18/2019 8:46 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 5:04 PM David Taylor <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> > Hi!
> >

> >> Does anyone know where we stand on the Tapestry 5.5 release?
> >
> > We should get a release in the upcoming months.
> >

> >> Are there
> >> specific blocking issues that need to be addressed? I recall seeing one
> >> related to Java 11 and ASM, but it is not clear if that is being worked
> >> on at the moment.
> >>
> > It was worked and it's already working, except for one specific case I'm
> > planning to fix this weekend (overriding of interface default methods).
> >

> >> We are working on upgrading our applications to Java 11 and may be able
> >> to help with troubleshooting of open issues.
> >>
> > Awesome! Please post any issues you find with Tapestry both here and in
> > Jira so we can properly track and fix them.
> >

> >> Regards,
> >> David

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Christopher
I'm much looking forward to Tapestry 5.5's pending release.

Regarding glyphicons, I recall not being able to get these displaying
even with a Tapestry app built extending the quickstart project
(bootstrap 3).  So the date pickers are iconless, palette arrows absent,
etcetera (I need to revisit this soon, as the app is soon to be
released.)

Regards,

Chris.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

Vangel V. Ajanovski-2
I am using Tapestry to develop applications for internal research and
teaching purposes, and have recently migrated two applications that are
used daily to 5.5.0-beta-3 and they are running without issues on Java 12.

I have tried running on Java 13 but it was not possible, due to
unsupported class versions.

As the documentation indicates that Java 11 is the supported version, I
wanted to ask the reason for this. Is it just because 11 is LTS? Or
there are truly some specific cases that I have not encountered which
prevent fully supported operation under Java 12 and I have to be careful.

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 7:38 PM Christopher Dodunski (Tapestry) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm much looking forward to Tapestry 5.5's pending release.

So am I. :)

> Regarding glyphicons, I recall not being able to get these displaying
> even with a Tapestry app built extending the quickstart project
> (bootstrap 3).  So the date pickers are iconless, palette arrows absent,
> etcetera (I need to revisit this soon, as the app is soon to be
> released.)

This is weird. Does it override the built-in Bootstrap version? This
weekend I created a new component, FontAwesomeIcon, which will
transparently and automatically replace any Glyphicon usage when Bootstrap
3 isn't used, making icons appear (at least as the icon name matches, of
course). My testing was running a page with Palette with each of the
options (Bootstrap 3, Bootstrap 4 and no Bootstrap) and the icons were
appearing in all of them.

> Regards,
>
> Chris.

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 7:21 PM Vangel V. Ajanovski <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I am using Tapestry to develop applications for internal research and
> teaching purposes,

Nice!

> and have recently migrated two applications that are
> used daily to 5.5.0-beta-3 and they are running without issues on Java 12.
> I have tried running on Java 13 but it was not possible, due to
> unsupported class versions.

As far as I know, Java 12 doesn't have any bytecode differences to 11, so
supporting 11 also supports 12. 13, on the other hand, does introduce new
bytecode.

This is a known issue and my plan is to support Java 14 (LTS version soon
to be released) in Tapestry 5.6 (which shouldn't take as long to be
released as 5.5). It's not trivial to support a new Java bytecode version
in Tapestry because this is done by embedding (i.e. copying and then
changing the package name) the ASM sources and then applying a couple of
manual changes.

> As the documentation indicates that Java 11 is the supported version, I
> wanted to ask the reason for this. Is it just because 11 is LTS?

Yes.

> Or there are truly some specific cases that I have not encountered which
> prevent fully supported operation under Java 12 and I have to be careful.

I don't know any.

Re: Tapestry 5.5 progress (Glyphicons not showing)

Jens Breitenstein
Hi Chris,

We never had issues with glyphicons locally but we do have issues
(sometimes) in production when IT Admin people disallow loading of fonts
and the firewall drops these files. That's the reason we use png's
instead, which is a real pain. If this is your problem and anyone has a
solution I am happy to learn something new.

CU

Jens