Tapestry 5.5?

Jochen Kemnade-4
Hi,

you may have noticed that the most recent Tapestry release (5.4.3) does not
work with Java 9. This is mainly due to an outdated ASM release that we use
in plastic.
I have upgraded ASM to the latest stable release in the master branch,
along with some other dependencies (such as Selenium) and Gradle.
Rather than struggling with backports for 5.4, I'd say that we concentrate
on finishing 5.5.
I'm creating a 5.5-alpha-4 preview release right now and would like to move
on to beta stage (along with a first public release of the 5.5 line) soon.
Is there anything we need to do before that? Any blocker issues that come
to mind?
I've used 5.5-alpha-3 in production for several months now and have not
encountered any regression issues. Has anyone else given it a try?
Also, does anyone else have some spare time to help finish the release?

Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

Michael Mikhulya
Hi,

I tried 5.5-alpha-3.
It works like a charm.

Thank you for your efforts!

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you may have noticed that the most recent Tapestry release (5.4.3) does not
> work with Java 9. This is mainly due to an outdated ASM release that we use
> in plastic.
> I have upgraded ASM to the latest stable release in the master branch,
> along with some other dependencies (such as Selenium) and Gradle.
> Rather than struggling with backports for 5.4, I'd say that we concentrate
> on finishing 5.5.
> I'm creating a 5.5-alpha-4 preview release right now and would like to move
> on to beta stage (along with a first public release of the 5.5 line) soon.
> Is there anything we need to do before that? Any blocker issues that come
> to mind?
> I've used 5.5-alpha-3 in production for several months now and have not
> encountered any regression issues. Has anyone else given it a try?
> Also, does anyone else have some spare time to help finish the release?
>
> Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello!

> you may have noticed that the most recent Tapestry release (5.4.3) does not
> work with Java 9. This is mainly due to an outdated ASM release that we use
> in plastic.

I haven't had a chance to play with Java 9 yet. Thanks for the info!

> I have upgraded ASM to the latest stable release in the master branch,
> along with some other dependencies (such as Selenium) and Gradle.

Thanks!

> Rather than struggling with backports for 5.4, I'd say that we concentrate
> on finishing 5.5.

Is there any struggle with backporting stuff for 5.4? I'd guess the ASM
upgrade
was just updating the version. Was it?

> I'm creating a 5.5-alpha-4 preview release right now and would like to move
> on to beta stage (along with a first public release of the 5.5 line) soon.

Thanks!

> Is there anything we need to do before that? Any blocker issues that come
> to mind?

I cannot think of anything right now.

> I've used 5.5-alpha-3 in production for several months now and have not
> encountered any regression issues. Has anyone else given it a try?
> Also, does anyone else have some spare time to help finish the release?

Next week is complicated for me, but the following one I can schedule some
time to help you.

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

Jochen Kemnade-3
Hi,

----- Am 13. Okt 2017 um 23:20 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo [hidden email]:
> Is there any struggle with backporting stuff for 5.4? I'd guess the ASM
> upgrade
> was just updating the version. Was it?

Basically yet. Since we repackage ASM under the Tapestry namespace, I had to extract the new sources, remove a package that we don't use, and increase a method's invisibility (we have been doing that for a while).
But I don't know if ASM 6 is compatible with Java 6 (which we still support in the 5.4 line).

>> I've used 5.5-alpha-3 in production for several months now and have not
>> encountered any regression issues. Has anyone else given it a try?
>> Also, does anyone else have some spare time to help finish the release?
>>

> Next week is complicated for me, but the following one I can schedule some
> time to help you.

Great, let's make a public beta next week and see what needs to be done for a final release.

Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

Michael Mikhulya
Hi,

is it possible to apply patch from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2558

while we are in alfa stage?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>

> ----- Am 13. Okt 2017 um 23:20 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> [hidden email]:
> > Is there any struggle with backporting stuff for 5.4? I'd guess the ASM
> > upgrade
> > was just updating the version. Was it?
>
> Basically yet. Since we repackage ASM under the Tapestry namespace, I had
> to extract the new sources, remove a package that we don't use, and
> increase a method's invisibility (we have been doing that for a while).
> But I don't know if ASM 6 is compatible with Java 6 (which we still
> support in the 5.4 line).
>
> >> I've used 5.5-alpha-3 in production for several months now and have not
> >> encountered any regression issues. Has anyone else given it a try?
> >> Also, does anyone else have some spare time to help finish the release?
> >>

> > Next week is complicated for me, but the following one I can schedule
> some
> > time to help you.
>
> Great, let's make a public beta next week and see what needs to be done
> for a final release.
>
> Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

Jochen Kemnade-3
Thanks for the patch and the reminder, Michael.

I think that is is safe to apply the patch.
If mutiple threads arrive at the loader.loadClass(className) call at the same time, the PlasticClassLoader's loadClass implementation will synchronize anyway.
So, if there are no objections, I'll merge the patch into master later this week.

Jochen

----- Am 16. Okt 2017 um 12:30 schrieb Michael N. Mikhulya [hidden email]:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to apply patch from
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-2558
>
> while we are in alfa stage?
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ----- Am 13. Okt 2017 um 23:20 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>> [hidden email]:
>> > Is there any struggle with backporting stuff for 5.4? I'd guess the ASM
>> > upgrade
>> > was just updating the version. Was it?
>>
>> Basically yet. Since we repackage ASM under the Tapestry namespace, I had
>> to extract the new sources, remove a package that we don't use, and
>> increase a method's invisibility (we have been doing that for a while).
>> But I don't know if ASM 6 is compatible with Java 6 (which we still
>> support in the 5.4 line).

>> > Next week is complicated for me, but the following one I can schedule
>> some
>> > time to help you.
>>
>> Great, let's make a public beta next week and see what needs to be done
>> for a final release.
>>
>> Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Jochen Kemnade <[hidden email]>

Hello!

> ----- Am 13. Okt 2017 um 23:20 schrieb Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> [hidden email]:
> > Is there any struggle with backporting stuff for 5.4? I'd guess the ASM
> > upgrade
> > was just updating the version. Was it?
>
> Basically yet. Since we repackage ASM under the Tapestry namespace, I had
> to extract the new sources, remove a package that we don't use, and
> increase a method's invisibility (we have been doing that for a while).

As soon as I took at look at the latest Tapestry commits this weekend, I
noticed that.

> But I don't know if ASM 6 is compatible with Java 6 (which we still
> support in the 5.4 line).

Good question. Anyway, we can argue that we only support Java 9 from T5.5
onwards.

> Great, let's make a public beta next week and see what needs to be done
> for a final release.

Awesome!

> Jochen

Re: Tapestry 5.5?

The patch looks good to me. Thanks, Michael!