Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Emmanuel Sowah
Hi Tapestry afficianados,

There is a new article at theserverside.com written by Carlos Perez entitled
"Top five Java Technologies to learn in 2008". Regarding the hype on
Tapestry 5 and it's "innovative" label Howard has assigned it, I couldn't
see it on the list.
Also, the discussions on this article, which has so far generated over 100
Echo 2, Wicket, Seam, Flex, etc are all mentioned as interesting.
All these trouble me. Does this spell the end of Tapestry? In other words,
is Tapestry in Coma dying a slow death or is it going to wake up from Coma
several years to come when the masses have already jumped onto something new
and are moving on?
I'm really disturbed.

Emmanuel

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Joachim Van der Auwera (PROGS bvba)
Tapestyr users have so much fun using the framework that "we" don't have
time to evangelize.

Joachim

--
Joachim Van der Auwera
PROGS bvba, progs.be

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Davor Hrg
There are many frameworks...
you should use which one suits your need the best...

tapestry has a good community, and an active mailing list...
I'm not worried ...

Davor Hrg

On Feb 1, 2008 11:05 AM, Joachim Van der Auwera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tapestyr users have so much fun using the framework that "we" don't have
> time to evangelize.
>
> Joachim
>

> Emmanuel Sowah wrote:
> > Hi Tapestry afficianados,
> >
> > There is a new article at theserverside.com written by Carlos Perez entitled
> > "Top five Java Technologies to learn in 2008". Regarding the hype on
> > Tapestry 5 and it's "innovative" label Howard has assigned it, I couldn't
> > see it on the list.
> > Also, the discussions on this article, which has so far generated over 100
> > Echo 2, Wicket, Seam, Flex, etc are all mentioned as interesting.
> > All these trouble me. Does this spell the end of Tapestry? In other words,
> > is Tapestry in Coma dying a slow death or is it going to wake up from Coma
> > several years to come when the masses have already jumped onto something new
> > and are moving on?
> > I'm really disturbed.
> >
> > Emmanuel
> >

> --
> Joachim Van der Auwera
> PROGS bvba, progs.be

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Robin Helgelin
On Feb 1, 2008 11:46 AM, Davor Hrg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> tapestry has a good community, and an active mailing list...
> I'm not worried ...

Don't forget we have Howard, Jesse and few other great committers. :)

--
        regards,
        Robin

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

"Ulrich Stärk"
                                   --------------------------
                          /|  /|  |                          |
                          ||__||  |         Don't feed       |
                         /   O O\__                          |
                        /          \        the trolls!      |
                       /      \     \                        |
                      /   _    \     \ ----------------------
                     /    |\____\     \     ||
                    /     | | | |\____/     ||
                   /       \|_|_|/   |    __||
                  /  /  \            |____| ||
                 /   |   | /|        |      --|
                 |   |   |//         |____  --|
          * _    |  |_|_|_|          |     \-/
       *-- _--\ _ \     //           |
         /  _     \\ _ //   |        /
       *  /   \_ /- | -     |       |
         *      ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

On Feb 1, 2008 11:51 AM, Robin Helgelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008 11:46 AM, Davor Hrg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > tapestry has a good community, and an active mailing list...
> > I'm not worried ...
>
> Don't forget we have Howard, Jesse and few other great committers. :)

Well, I don't know if they are great committers, else they could have chosen
the challenging path of making each major Tapestry realease fully backward
compatible. They rather choose the easy and trivial path of rewriting from
scratch disregarding previous versions, which IMHO anyone can do. I don't
call such people great. The great guys are Gavin King, Rod Johnson, Juergen
Holler, etc. These guys are so genius!

Emmanuel

On Feb 1, 2008 12:14 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, I don't know if they are great committers, else they could have chosen
> the challenging path of making each major Tapestry realease fully backward
> compatible. They rather choose the easy and trivial path of rewriting from
> scratch disregarding previous versions, which IMHO anyone can do. I don't
> call such people great. The great guys are Gavin King, Rod Johnson, Juergen
> Holler, etc. These guys are so genius!

Not going to feed that troll on that one, but what's the problem? T4
and T5 live happily together where T4 still is maintained.

--
        regards,
        Robin

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On 2/1/08, Robin Helgelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not going to feed that troll on that one, but what's the problem? T4
> and T5 live happily together where T4 still is maintained.

And Emmanuel is not even a good troll. He praised Gavin King for
implementing a backward-compatible framework, but his Hibernate 3 is
not compatible with Hibernate 2. Even the root package changed
(net.sf.hibernate to org.hibernate).

As we say here in Brazil, let's let him make him talk to the walls. :)

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Emmanuel Sowah
That Hibernate 3 isn't backward compatible with 2 is not true. That package
naming issues is a minor one you could easily fix yourself. But the issues
that hinder one from smooth migration from T4 to T5 is enormous and is an
almost impossible task to achieve for less genius people. It needs a true
genius to do that. Unfortunately that we lack from the current Tapestry
developers.

Emmanuel

On Feb 1, 2008 12:27 PM, Robin Helgelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2008 12:14 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Well, I don't know if they are great committers, else they could have
> chosen
> > the challenging path of making each major Tapestry realease fully
> backward
> > compatible. They rather choose the easy and trivial path of rewriting
> from
> > scratch disregarding previous versions, which IMHO anyone can do. I
> don't
> > call such people great. The great guys are Gavin King, Rod Johnson,
> Juergen
> > Holler, etc. These guys are so genius!
>
> Not going to feed that troll on that one, but what's the problem? T4
> and T5 live happily together where T4 still is maintained.

Yes, I agree T4 and T5 are happily living their *separate *lives together.
In other communities they make releases live *married *lives together.
You'll feel the music in your spines when your boss asks you to adopt some
T5 features in your existing T3 or T4 application.

Emmanuel

> --
>        regards,
>        Robin

Re: Tapestry and Article at Theserverside.com

Filip S. Adamsen-2
Filip S. Adamsen: +1 (non-binding)

;)