Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)
Hi,

Has anyone implemented Tapetsry to build html emails? Is that fairly trivial to do?

John

________________________________
This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Andreas Ernst
Am 20.02.18 um 06:31 schrieb Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda):
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone implemented Tapetsry to build html emails? Is that fairly trivial to do?

Why? Try Apache Commons Email.

--
ae | Andreas Ernst | IT Spektrum
Postfach 5, 65612 Beselich

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Dmitry Gusev

I guess your answer is mostly about formatting HTML output using TML markup?

It's not that trivial as it could be, mostly because tapestry rendering is
built around HTTP request processing.

I.e. one of it's core components -- PageLink -- relies on (http) Request
service which is usually unavailable when you need to send an email,
because you usually don't want to send it the scope of HTTP request but
rather do this asynchronously or by some non-HTTP event, like timer. You
can mock the request service for offline use, or build your own component
for link rendering in offline mode, etc. which is not that difficult but
still not trivial.

The next thing is partial rendering: Tapestry does support partial
rendering of blocks using PartialTemplateRenderer, but you still need to
host the block on some page to be able to reference it. Those pages need to
be "private", as you may not want to render them in normal way to your
users.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:31 AM, Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda) <

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)
Commons email doesn’t separate the html into a template like tml in Tapestry.

On 2/20/18, 4:05 PM, "Andreas Ernst" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click links nor open attachments!
    ________________________________

On 2/20/18, 4:35 PM, "Dmitry Gusev" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click links nor open attachments!
    ________________________________

    Hi,

    I guess your answer is mostly about formatting HTML output using TML markup?

Yes exactly. The template rendering technology is great in Tapestry, I wish it could be abstracted for other applications.  I’ve been using Freemarker and it sucks by comparison just like JSP sucked by blurring code and presentation into a new and unnecessary technology.

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to run a Tapestry App with an embedded Jetty instance, and just page request the content to copy into the emails? And another advantage is the web page could be linked to itself for a click this link to read mail online option? It wouldn’t surprise me if this was actually faster as well.

John

________________________________
This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

bobharner
You might want to look at https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-offline ...
but really, email is such a different medium that I have always just used
Velocity templates myself. You don't have to put the business logic in the
template if you don't want to.

On Feb 20, 2018 5:20 AM, "Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/20/18, 4:35 PM, "Dmitry Gusev" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click links
> nor open attachments!
>     ________________________________
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I guess your answer is mostly about formatting HTML output using TML
> markup?
>
> Yes exactly. The template rendering technology is great in Tapestry, I
> wish it could be abstracted for other applications.  I’ve been using
> Freemarker and it sucks by comparison just like JSP sucked by blurring code
> and presentation into a new and unnecessary technology.
>
> Perhaps the easiest thing would be to run a Tapestry App with an embedded
> Jetty instance, and just page request the content to copy into the emails?
> And another advantage is the web page could be linked to itself for a click
> this link to read mail online option? It wouldn’t surprise me if this was
> actually faster as well.
>
> John
>

> ________________________________
> This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright
> or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
> by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy
> this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or
> privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized
> disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be
> monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the
> company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages
> may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

JumpStart
Same here, or use the MailChimp API.

> On 20 Feb 2018, at 8:29 pm, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You might want to look at https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-offline ...
> but really, email is such a different medium that I have always just used
> Velocity templates myself. You don't have to put the business logic in the
> template if you don't want to.
>
> On Feb 20, 2018 5:20 AM, "Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/18, 4:35 PM, "Dmitry Gusev" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click links
>> nor open attachments!
>>    ________________________________
>>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I guess your answer is mostly about formatting HTML output using TML
>> markup?
>>
>> Yes exactly. The template rendering technology is great in Tapestry, I
>> wish it could be abstracted for other applications.  I’ve been using
>> Freemarker and it sucks by comparison just like JSP sucked by blurring code
>> and presentation into a new and unnecessary technology.
>>
>> Perhaps the easiest thing would be to run a Tapestry App with an embedded
>> Jetty instance, and just page request the content to copy into the emails?
>> And another advantage is the web page could be linked to itself for a click
>> this link to read mail online option? It wouldn’t surprise me if this was
>> actually faster as well.
>>
>> John
>>

>> ________________________________
>> This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended
>> recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by copyright
>> or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know
>> by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy
>> this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or
>> privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized
>> disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be
>> monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the
>> company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages
>> may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Martin Grigorov
Hi,

I think John Steven has a point.
He can use FreeMarker or JSP for his application but he likes Tapestry
better.
Now he needs to generate some HTML that won't be flushed to the web
response but will be sent as a SMTP mail body.
And he prefers to use the same tools/libraries he already has experience
with. No need to add more libraries to the classpath when Tapestry can do
this easily. Apache Commons Email is needed to send the email but something
has to generate the HTML first!
Initially I thought this question should have been asked at users@ mailing
lists but now I think dev@ is better because it is a discussion whether
Tapestry should be improved with such feature or not.

Martin

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:12 PM, JumpStart <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same here, or use the MailChimp API.
>
> > On 20 Feb 2018, at 8:29 pm, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > You might want to look at https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-offline
> > but really, email is such a different medium that I have always just used
> > Velocity templates myself. You don't have to put the business logic in
> the
> > template if you don't want to.
> >
> > On Feb 20, 2018 5:20 AM, "Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)" <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2/20/18, 4:35 PM, "Dmitry Gusev" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >>    Email received from outside the company. If in doubt don't click
> links
> >> nor open attachments!
> >>    ________________________________
> >>
> >>    Hi,
> >>
> >>    I guess your answer is mostly about formatting HTML output using TML
> >> markup?
> >>
> >> Yes exactly. The template rendering technology is great in Tapestry, I
> >> wish it could be abstracted for other applications.  I’ve been using
> >> Freemarker and it sucks by comparison just like JSP sucked by blurring
> code
> >> and presentation into a new and unnecessary technology.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the easiest thing would be to run a Tapestry App with an
> embedded
> >> Jetty instance, and just page request the content to copy into the
> emails?
> >> And another advantage is the web page could be linked to itself for a
> click
> >> this link to read mail online option? It wouldn’t surprise me if this
> was
> >> actually faster as well.
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> >> ________________________________
> >> This message is confidential and is for the sole use of the intended
> >> recipient(s). It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by
> copyright
> >> or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us
> know
> >> by reply email and delete it from your system. It is prohibited to copy
> >> this message or disclose its content to anyone. Any confidentiality or
> >> privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery or unauthorized
> >> disclosure of the message. All messages sent to and from Agoda may be
> >> monitored to ensure compliance with company policies, to protect the
> >> company's interests and to remove potential malware. Electronic messages
> >> may be intercepted, amended, lost or deleted, or contain viruses.

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

JumpStart
Sounds reasonable to me. I would have liked that feature on a couple of occasions.

> On 20 Feb 2018, at 9:54 PM, Martin Grigorov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I think John Steven has a point.
> He can use FreeMarker or JSP for his application but he likes Tapestry
> better.
> Now he needs to generate some HTML that won't be flushed to the web
> response but will be sent as a SMTP mail body.
> And he prefers to use the same tools/libraries he already has experience
> with. No need to add more libraries to the classpath when Tapestry can do
> this easily. Apache Commons Email is needed to send the email but something
> has to generate the HTML first!
> Initially I thought this question should have been asked at users@ mailing
> lists but now I think dev@ is better because it is a discussion whether
> Tapestry should be improved with such feature or not.
>
> Martin
>
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:12 PM, JumpStart <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Same here, or use the MailChimp API.
>>
>>> On 20 Feb 2018, at 8:29 pm, Bob Harner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You might want to look at https://github.com/uklance/tapestry-offline
>>> but really, email is such a different medium that I have always just used
>>> Velocity templates myself. You don't have to put the business logic in
>> the
>>> template if you don't want to.

>> links

>> code

>> embedded
>> emails?
>> click
>> was

>> copyright
>> know

Re: Tapestry as an email rendering platform

Coleman, JohnSteven (Agoda)

Velocity is certainly a popular solution, but as with freemarker there’s a template language, I think these are more complex than tml and of course they are for generic templating rather than focus on html. I like how tml does not allow coding in the template and is essentially pure html.

I’ll take a look at tapestry offline, is it compatible with the latest Tapestry?

Thanks,
John