Web frameworks

123

Web frameworks

Emmanuel Sowah
Hi guys,

There is a great report that compares web frameworks and can be found here:
http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/

To my surprise, Tapestry didn't make it to the list. This makes me very
nervous to even consider Tapestry for our upcoming project. I'm scared
Tapestry may be abandoned one day and leave us in the cold. It may be a
nice framework, but Tapestry's popularity is extremely low within the
developers' community. Why is that? Is it because of it's track record on
releases and backward compatibility issues, which I read a lot about on
google search? Or is it because it's a one man project?

What do you think?

Regards,
Emmanuel

Re: Web frameworks

Dmitry Gusev
Anton Arhipov answered similar question there:

As we mentioned before, it is not possible to cover all the frameworks in
> one go.

> You could ask the same about any other framework that you probably like,
> and the answer would be the same.

http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/#comment-1110981704

Tapestry is here for more than 10 years now, and as far as I know it
doesn't going to disappear in the nearest future.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Web frameworks

Dmitry Gusev
Also, JRebel doesn't support tapestry5, so this might be yet another point
to not put it to the report.

Btw, as Anton said in one conference, they don't support Tapestry5 because
tapestry already implements something similar with service live reloading.
Though T5's class reloading is very poor in contrast to what JRebel can
give.

I think this is something that may need to be improved in T5.  Like, adding
new files to service interfaces, changing method signatures,
adding/removing annotations to service methods/page/component classes, etc.

Does anybody of committers have plans working on T5 live class reloading
improvements?

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Web frameworks

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:12:48 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi guys,

Hi! Long time, no see! :P

> There is a great report that compares web frameworks and can be found
> here:
> http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
>
> To my surprise, Tapestry didn't make it to the list. This makes me very
> nervous to even consider Tapestry for our upcoming project. I'm scared
> Tapestry may be abandoned one day and leave us in the cold. It may be a
> nice framework, but Tapestry's popularity is extremely low within the
> developers' community. Why is that? Is it because of it's track record on
> releases and backward compatibility issues, which I read a lot about on
> google search?

Nice you mentioned backward compatibility. You've asked the same thing 5
years ago:
And guess what? All Tapestry releases since then have been backward
compatible (already including 5.4). :)

> Or is it because it's a one man project?

Only if you don't consider me, Ulrich, Lance, Igor, Kalle, Taha, François,
Massimo and others as men! :D I can't say for the others, but I'm
definitely a man. :)

> What do you think?

I think you're a troll who, for some reason, missed us. :) More
information on this:

(in 2006, Emmanuel starts spreading false rumors about a non-backward
compatible Tapestry 6. End of 2013 and Tapestry 5.4 is backward compatible)

Also: http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5Trolls.

Re: Web frameworks

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 17:49:38 -0200, Dmitry Gusev <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think this is something that may need to be improved in T5.  Like,
> adding new files to service interfaces, changing method signatures,
> adding/removing annotations to service methods/page/component classes,
> etc.

For pages, components, mixins and classes in 'base' packages, Tapestry
already does that.

> Does anybody of committers have plans working on T5 live class reloading
> improvements?

I have never looked at the Tapestry and Tapestry-IoC code that deals with
that, but I'd guess that's not possible. JRebel is able to do that because
it works at JVM level. Tapestry and Tapestry-IoC do not.

Re: Web frameworks

Lance Java
I'm not sure why... but for some reason a random user comes on this
tapestry list about once a year spreading FUD with a message similar to
this one. I've never really understood why... Please ignore this thread.

On 18 November 2013 19:12, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> There is a great report that compares web frameworks and can be found here:
>
> http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
>
> To my surprise, Tapestry didn't make it to the list. This makes me very
> nervous to even consider Tapestry for our upcoming project. I'm scared
> Tapestry may be abandoned one day and leave us in the cold. It may be a
> nice framework, but Tapestry's popularity is extremely low within the
> developers' community. Why is that? Is it because of it's track record on
> releases and backward compatibility issues, which I read a lot about on
> google search? Or is it because it's a one man project?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
> Emmanuel

Re: Web frameworks

John
Haha. Maybe it's someone who's maintaining thousands of lines of evil old incomprehensible JSP, has seen the promised land (Tapestry) and feels bad about it. (Like the guy who never gets invited to parties).
  I'm not sure why... but for some reason a random user comes on this
  tapestry list about once a year spreading FUD with a message similar to
  this one. I've never really understood why... Please ignore this thread.

  On 18 November 2013 19:12, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

  > Hi guys,
  >
  > There is a great report that compares web frameworks and can be found here:
  >
  > http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
  >
  > To my surprise, Tapestry didn't make it to the list. This makes me very
  > nervous to even consider Tapestry for our upcoming project. I'm scared
  > Tapestry may be abandoned one day and leave us in the cold. It may be a
  > nice framework, but Tapestry's popularity is extremely low within the
  > developers' community. Why is that? Is it because of it's track record on
  > releases and backward compatibility issues, which I read a lot about on
  > google search? Or is it because it's a one man project?
  >
  > What do you think?
  >
  > Regards,
  > Emmanuel

Re: Web frameworks

Norman Franke-2
That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. Someone who doesn't know any better about how to write a modern web application and insists that JSP code is "closer to the bare metal" and thus better.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com

On Nov 18, 2013, at 7:09 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Haha. Maybe it's someone who's maintaining thousands of lines of evil old incomprehensible JSP, has seen the promised land (Tapestry) and feels bad about it. (Like the guy who never gets invited to parties).

Re: Web frameworks

Emmanuel Sowah
Guys,

You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
reality. The fact of the matter is Tapestry is no more relevant in the
developers community. Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his
projects. Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home. As we're speaking now,
Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's project.Leave this cult and
do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
inevitable death.

Cheers

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Norman Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. Someone who doesn't know any
> better about how to write a modern web application and insists that JSP
> code is "closer to the bare metal" and thus better.
>
> Norman Franke
> Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
> www.myasd.com
>

> On Nov 18, 2013, at 7:09 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Haha. Maybe it's someone who's maintaining thousands of lines of evil
> old incomprehensible JSP, has seen the promised land (Tapestry) and feels
> bad about it. (Like the guy who never gets invited to parties).

Re: Web frameworks

lprimak
What a troll!!

On Nov 20, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Emmanuel Sowah wrote:

> Guys,
>
> You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
> reality. The fact of the matter is Tapestry is no more relevant in the
> developers community. Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his
> projects. Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
> Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home. As we're speaking now,
> Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's project.Leave this cult and
> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
> inevitable death.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Norman Franke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. Someone who doesn't know any
>> better about how to write a modern web application and insists that JSP
>> code is "closer to the bare metal" and thus better.
>>
>> Norman Franke
>> Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
>> www.myasd.com
>>

>> On Nov 18, 2013, at 7:09 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Haha. Maybe it's someone who's maintaining thousands of lines of evil
>> old incomprehensible JSP, has seen the promised land (Tapestry) and feels
>> bad about it. (Like the guy who never gets invited to parties).

Re: Web frameworks

sommeralex
tapestry would and will easily revive if 5.4. would come out with full
jQuery (and jQuery mobile) support ;-)

I am just waiting for 5.4 and think that others are doing the same.

I also would love mobile web templates with 5.4 based on jQuery mobile.

2013/11/20 Lenny Primak <[hidden email]>

> What a troll!!
>
> On Nov 20, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Emmanuel Sowah wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
> > reality. The fact of the matter is Tapestry is no more relevant in the
> > developers community. Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his
> > projects. Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative.
> Your
> > knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
> > Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home. As we're speaking
> now,
> > Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's project.Leave this cult and
> > do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
> > inevitable death.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Norman Franke <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> That's funny, I was thinking the same thing. Someone who doesn't know
> any
> >> better about how to write a modern web application and insists that JSP
> >> code is "closer to the bare metal" and thus better.
> >>
> >> Norman Franke
> >> Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
> >> www.myasd.com

> >> old incomprehensible JSP, has seen the promised land (Tapestry) and
> feels
> >> bad about it. (Like the guy who never gets invited to parties).

Re: Web frameworks

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:52:09 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
> reality.

Says the guys who loved to post about Wicket in a Tapestry mailing list .
. . :D

> Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his projects.

[citation needed]

> Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.

Well, my current job I got exactly because of my Tapestry experience. And
I got some offers from other places.

> Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home.

[citation needed]

Just for example, most respected English dictionary, Oxford English
Dictionary, have its online versions written in Tapestry:
http://oed.com. Just open the home page, see the sources and search for
Tapestry.

Right now I'm working on a Tapestry project.

> As we're speaking now, Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's
> project.

[citation needed]

Hey, another Wicket mention! There's got to be a drinking game about it. :)

> Leave this cult and
> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
> inevitable death.

A library or framework dies when nobody is using it anymore. The traffic
in this mailing list alone is proof that are people using it, not to
mention the larger pool of people that use it but doesn't post in the
mailing lists.

Re: Web frameworks

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:15:04 -0200, Alexander Sommer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> tapestry would and will easily revive

Are you saying it is dead?

> if 5.4. would come out with full jQuery (and jQuery mobile) support ;-)

Tapestry 5.4, which is in alpha right now but already quite stable,
already comes with jQuery support out of the box. Previous versions can
use tapestry5-jquery for that. I'm not sure what you mean by jQuery mobile
support.

> I am just waiting for 5.4 and think that others are doing the same.

You can try it right now.

> I also would love mobile web templates with 5.4 based on jQuery mobile.

You can already do that. 5.4 ships with Bootstrap 3 out-of-the-box and it
(Bootstrap 3) is mobile-first. To use jQuery mobile, just use 5.4 with
jQuery support and add the jQuery mobile file(s) using @Import.

Re: Web frameworks

azmadu
Well said Thiago :-)

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:52:09 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
>> reality.
>
>Says the guys who loved to post about Wicket in a Tapestry mailing list .
>. . :D
>
>> Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his projects.
>
>[citation needed]
>
>> Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
>> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
>
>Well, my current job I got exactly because of my Tapestry experience. And
>I got some offers from other places.
>
>> Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home.
>
>[citation needed]
>
>Just for example, most respected English dictionary, Oxford English
>Dictionary, have its online versions written in Tapestry:
>http://oed.com. Just open the home page, see the sources and search for
>Tapestry.
>
>Right now I'm working on a Tapestry project.
>
>> As we're speaking now, Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's
>> project.
>
>[citation needed]
>
>Hey, another Wicket mention! There's got to be a drinking game about it. :)
>
>> Leave this cult and
>> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
>> inevitable death.
>
>A library or framework dies when nobody is using it anymore. The traffic
>in this mailing list alone is proof that are people using it, not to
>mention the larger pool of people that use it but doesn't post in the
>mailing lists.
>
>--
>Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
>Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer
>http://machina.com.br

Re: Web frameworks

sommeralex
i also need to add that my (it) knowledge is based on the help on tapestry.
I dont *love* server-side programming but if i need to do it, i love to do
it with tapestry.

the only thing i am waiting for are better & easier documentations and
better mobile support.

2013/11/20 Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:52:09 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>  You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
>> reality.
>>

> Says the guys who loved to post about Wicket in a Tapestry mailing list .
> . . :D
>

>  Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his projects.
>>

> [citation needed]
>

>  Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
>> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
>>

> Well, my current job I got exactly because of my Tapestry experience. And
> I got some offers from other places.
>

>  Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Just for example, most respected English dictionary, Oxford English
> Dictionary, have its online versions written in Tapestry:
> http://oed.com. Just open the home page, see the sources and search for
> Tapestry.
>
> Right now I'm working on a Tapestry project.
>

>  As we're speaking now, Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's
>> project.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Hey, another Wicket mention! There's got to be a drinking game about it. :)
>

>  Leave this cult and
>> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
>> inevitable death.
>>

> A library or framework dies when nobody is using it anymore. The traffic
> in this mailing list alone is proof that are people using it, not to
> mention the larger pool of people that use it but doesn't post in the
> mailing lists.

> http://machina.com.br

Re: Web frameworks

Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 18:28:20 -0200, Alexander Sommer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> the only thing i am waiting for are better & easier documentations and
> better mobile support.

Mobile support is basically HTML and CSS with a little bit of JavaScript,
so I'd like to know what do you think Tapestry could do in this case.

Re: Web frameworks

Emmanuel Sowah
Guys,

Don't listen to Thiago, he is just blowing hot air. Tapestry is no more
relevant, as can be seen in the article:
http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
.
As you may see, Tapestry is not mentioned anywhere in that article.
Tapestry is just dying, no matter what Thiago would say. Again, even Howard
doesn't use Tapestry in serious client projects anymore. It seems there are
only a handful ( 3 or so) of Tapestry jobs available worldwide and you have
to be a commiter like Thiago to be able to grab one. Stop wasting your time
on Tapestry. There are other smart frameworks out there. What about Vaadin,
GWT or Wicket? They all support mobile development very well.
Thiago, please stop misleading people. Tapestry is just dying a slow death.
Even Howard admitted that in a recent interview.

Cheers

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:52:09 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>  You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
>> reality.
>>

> Says the guys who loved to post about Wicket in a Tapestry mailing list .
> . . :D
>

>  Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his projects.
>>

> [citation needed]
>

>  Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
>> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
>>

> Well, my current job I got exactly because of my Tapestry experience. And
> I got some offers from other places.
>

>  Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Just for example, most respected English dictionary, Oxford English
> Dictionary, have its online versions written in Tapestry:
> http://oed.com. Just open the home page, see the sources and search for
> Tapestry.
>
> Right now I'm working on a Tapestry project.
>

>  As we're speaking now, Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's
>> project.
>>

> [citation needed]
>
> Hey, another Wicket mention! There's got to be a drinking game about it. :)
>

>  Leave this cult and
>> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
>> inevitable death.
>>

> A library or framework dies when nobody is using it anymore. The traffic
> in this mailing list alone is proof that are people using it, not to
> mention the larger pool of people that use it but doesn't post in the
> mailing lists.

> http://machina.com.br

Re: Web frameworks

Jon Williams
Dear Mr. FUD

Kindly elucidate with a link to your "recent interview" with Mr. Ship.

Cheers

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Don't listen to Thiago, he is just blowing hot air. Tapestry is no more
> relevant, as can be seen in the article:
>
> http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/
> .
> As you may see, Tapestry is not mentioned anywhere in that article.
> Tapestry is just dying, no matter what Thiago would say. Again, even Howard
> doesn't use Tapestry in serious client projects anymore. It seems there are
> only a handful ( 3 or so) of Tapestry jobs available worldwide and you have
> to be a commiter like Thiago to be able to grab one. Stop wasting your time
> on Tapestry. There are other smart frameworks out there. What about Vaadin,
> GWT or Wicket? They all support mobile development very well.
> Thiago, please stop misleading people. Tapestry is just dying a slow death.
> Even Howard admitted that in a recent interview.
>
> Cheers
>

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:52:09 -0200, Emmanuel Sowah <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >  You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see the
> >> reality.
> >>

> > Says the guys who loved to post about Wicket in a Tapestry mailing list .
> > . . :D
> >

> >  Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his projects.
> >>

> > [citation needed]
> >

> >  Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative. Your
> >> knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
> >>

> > Well, my current job I got exactly because of my Tapestry experience. And
> > I got some offers from other places.
> >

> >  Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home.
> >>

> > [citation needed]
> >
> > Just for example, most respected English dictionary, Oxford English
> > Dictionary, have its online versions written in Tapestry:
> > http://oed.com. Just open the home page, see the sources and search for
> > Tapestry.
> >
> > Right now I'm working on a Tapestry project.
> >

> >  As we're speaking now, Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's
> >> project.
> >>

> > [citation needed]
> >
> > Hey, another Wicket mention! There's got to be a drinking game about it.
> :)
> >

> >  Leave this cult and
> >> do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
> >> inevitable death.
> >>

> > A library or framework dies when nobody is using it anymore. The traffic
> > in this mailing list alone is proof that are people using it, not to
> > mention the larger pool of people that use it but doesn't post in the
> > mailing lists.
> >

> > --
> > Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
> > Tapestry, Java and Hibernate consultant and developer
> > http://machina.com.br

Re: Web frameworks

Emmanuel Sowah
Alexander,

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Tapestry cannot be revived. Tapestry has
been in coma for too long. As you may know, people who have been in coma
for a very long time cannot be revived. They ultimately die, as Tapestry is
slowly dying now. Check the article found at
http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/the-2014-decision-makers-guide-to-java-web-frameworks/.
Choose one of those frameworks mentioned there and you'll be fine.

Cheers

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Alexander Sommer <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> tapestry would and will easily revive if 5.4. would come out with full
> jQuery (and jQuery mobile) support ;-)
>
> I am just waiting for 5.4 and think that others are doing the same.
>
> I also would love mobile web templates with 5.4 based on jQuery mobile.
>

> 2013/11/20 Lenny Primak <[hidden email]>
>
> > What a troll!!
> >
> > On Nov 20, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Emmanuel Sowah wrote:
> >
> > > Guys,
> > >
> > > You Tapestry aficionados are just some radicals who are blind to see
> the
> > > reality. The fact of the matter is Tapestry is no more relevant in the
> > > developers community. Even Mr. Ship doesn't use Tapestry anymore in his
> > > projects. Stop being stupid and look around for a better alternative.
> > Your
> > > knowledge and experience about Tapestry won't land you a job anywhere.
> > > Tapestry is now only used on hobby projects at home. As we're speaking
> > now,
> > > Howard is happily coding Wicket on a client's project.Leave this cult
> and
> > > do something better with serious frameworks. Tapestry is dying an
> > > inevitable death.
> > >
> > > Cheers

> > any
> JSP

> > feels

Re: Web frameworks

Emmanuel Sowah
I don't think I want to do that. Let Howard himself disclose that link to
you. He may kill me if I do that.

123