prevent ajax form submit

iberck
Hi there

How can I prevent ajax form's event submit when the user clicks a submit
button?
I need to prevent the event for show an confirm dialog before it will be
submited.

My form:

<t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='zone1'>
    <t:submit value="send"/>
</t:form>

<t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
</t:zone>

Thanks in advance

Re: prevent ajax form submit

George Christman
Are you trying to create an ajax form submit? If so, you should be wrapping
the form with the zone. As far as the confirm dialog goes, you could either
use a confirm mixin or if you chose to use a zone style approach, on submit
return another zone for your confirm dialog.

--
George Christman
CEO
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: prevent ajax form submit

iberck
Thank you for your answer George.

> Are you trying to create an ajax form submit? If so, you should be
wrapping the form with the zone

Yes, I'm trying to create an ajax form submit, I don't understand why I
should be wrapping the form with the zone, what is the reason? as far I
know in my example I'm sending the form via ajax and then refreshing the
zone 'zone1' returning the zone1's body in the onsuccess() event in the
.java

>As far as the confirm dialog goes, you could either
use a confirm mixin or if you chose to use a zone style approach, on submit
return another zone for your confirm dialog.

I'm using a mixin for show the confirm dialog (with bootstrap) but don't
found how to prevent the ajax form's submit. Any one can help me with it?

Thanks in advance

> Are you trying to create an ajax form submit? If so, you should be wrapping
> the form with the zone. As far as the confirm dialog goes, you could either
> use a confirm mixin or if you chose to use a zone style approach, on submit
> return another zone for your confirm dialog.
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi there
> >
> > How can I prevent ajax form's event submit when the user clicks a submit
> > button?
> > I need to prevent the event for show an confirm dialog before it will be
> > submited.
> >
> > My form:
> >
> > <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='zone1'>
> >     <t:submit value="send"/>
> > </t:form>
> >
> > <t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
> > </t:zone>
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> --
> George Christman
> CEO
> www.CarDaddy.com
> P.O. Box 735
> Johnstown, New York

Re: prevent ajax form submit

Akshay
Hi,

your structure should look like this:
.tml strcuture:-

<t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
<t:form t:id='form1' t:zone="^">
    <t:submit value="send"/>
</t:form>
</t:zone>

<t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
Your Content
</t:zone>

The .java file structure
@InjectComponent
private Zone zone1,zone2;
@Inject
private AjaxResponseRender
OnSuccess(){
ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2) or zone2.getBody();
}

Regards
Akshay

Cheers!!
Akshay

Re: prevent ajax form submit

iberck
Hi akshay, thank you for your answer.

I had changed my example with your recomendation but the problem persist
and the ajax post is sent when you press the submit:

Test.tml
<head>
        <script>
            $(document).ready(function() {
                $("#form1").submit(function(e) {
                    return false;
                });
            });
        </script>
    </head>

    <t:zone t:id="zone1" id="zone1">
            <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='^'>
            <t:submit value="enviar"/>
        </t:form>
    </t:zone>

    <t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
        ${name}
    </t:zone>

Test.java
@Inject
    private AjaxResponseRenderer ajaxResponseRenderer;
    @InjectComponent
    private Zone zone1, zone2;

    @Log
    public String getName() {
        return "bierck" + Math.random();
    }

    void onSuccess() {
        ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2);
    }

Anyone can help me? how can I prevent the ajax form's submit ?

Thank you

> your structure should look like this:
> .tml strcuture:-
>
> <t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
> <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone="^">
>     <t:submit value="send"/>
> </t:form>
> </t:zone>
>
> <t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
> Your Content
> </t:zone>
>

> The .java file structure
> @InjectComponent
> private Zone zone1,zone2;
> @Inject
> private AjaxResponseRender
> OnSuccess(){
> ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2) or zone2.getBody();
> }
>
> Regards
> Akshay
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your answer George.
> >
> > > Are you trying to create an ajax form submit? If so, you should be
> > wrapping the form with the zone
> >
> > Yes, I'm trying to create an ajax form submit, I don't understand why I
> > should be wrapping the form with the zone, what is the reason? as far I
> > know in my example I'm sending the form via ajax and then refreshing the
> > zone 'zone1' returning the zone1's body in the onsuccess() event in the
> > .java
> >
> > >As far as the confirm dialog goes, you could either
> > use a confirm mixin or if you chose to use a zone style approach, on
> submit
> > return another zone for your confirm dialog.
> >
> > I'm using a mixin for show the confirm dialog (with bootstrap) but don't
> > found how to prevent the ajax form's submit. Any one can help me with it?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> > > Are you trying to create an ajax form submit? If so, you should be
> > wrapping
> > > the form with the zone. As far as the confirm dialog goes, you could
> > either
> > > use a confirm mixin or if you chose to use a zone style approach, on
> > submit
> > > return another zone for your confirm dialog.
> > >
> > > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <
> [hidden email]>

> > submit
> > be

> > > --
> > > George Christman
> > > CEO
> > > www.CarDaddy.com
> > > P.O. Box 735
> > > Johnstown, New York
> > >

> --
> Cheers!!
> Akshay

Re: prevent ajax form submit

George Christman
Take a look at this page, it will show you the life cycle of the tapestry
methods. You are returning zone2 in your onSuccess method. and probably
should use onSelected

http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart7/examples/navigation/whatiscalledandwhen

One way to do it to use an event handler and on the backend return the zone
from the event handler. example

<t:submit t:event="confirm"/>

Object onConfirm() {
    return yourZone;
}

The other more recommended way if it's just a simple confirm box is to use
the confirm mixin. This will prevent the loop to the backend and just do
everything in the UI via javascript.

<t:submit t:mixins="confirm" message="some message" title="some title"/>

https://github.com/apache/tapestry-5/blob/5.4-beta-22/tapestry-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tapestry5/corelib/mixins/Confirm.java

--
George Christman
CEO
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: prevent ajax form submit

iberck
Thank you for your answer George:

> The other more recommended way if it's just a simple confirm box is to
use the confirm mixin
I'm using tapestry 5.3.7

I had change my example with your recomendations:

.tml
<head>
        <script>
            $(document).ready(function() {
                $("#form1").submit(function() {
                    return false;
                });
            });
        </script>
    </head>

    <t:zone t:id="zone1" id="zone1">
            <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='^'>
            <t:submit value="enviar"/>
        </t:form>
    </t:zone>

    <t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
    </t:zone>

.java
@Inject
    private AjaxResponseRenderer ajaxResponseRenderer;
    @InjectComponent
    private Zone zone2;

    void onSelected() {
        ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2);
    }

But the effect is the same, the ajax post is sent to server. Anyone can
help me how can I stop the ajax form submit?

Thanks in advance

> [...]
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > your structure should look like this:
> > > .tml strcuture:-
> > >
> > > <t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
> > > <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone="^">
> > >     <t:submit value="send"/>
> > > </t:form>
> > > </t:zone>
> > >
> > > <t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
> > > Your Content
> > > </t:zone>
> > >

> > > The .java file structure
> > > @InjectComponent
> > > private Zone zone1,zone2;
> > > @Inject
> > > private AjaxResponseRender
> > > OnSuccess(){
> > > ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2) or zone2.getBody();
> > > }
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Akshay
> > >
> > > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <

Re: prevent ajax form submit

George Christman
hmm I see your using jquery and I know 3.7 uses prototype. Are you using
Tapestry-Jquery or bringing in jquery with no conflict?

You can write your own mixin to handle this, your not required to have to
use 5.4 to get this to work.

Here's an example of how Tapestry-Jquery is getting this to work using
jquery in 3.7

http://tapestry5-jquery.com/mixins/docsconfirm

https://github.com/got5/tapestry5-jquery/blob/v3.3.7/src/main/java/org/got5/tapestry5/jquery/mixins/Confirm.java

https://github.com/got5/tapestry5-jquery/blob/v3.3.7/src/main/resources/org/got5/tapestry5/jquery/assets/mixins/confirm/confirm.js

--
George Christman
CEO
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: prevent ajax form submit

iberck
George, yes I'm using tapestry-jquery but in the links you wrote is the
solution:

$("#form1").submit(function(event) {
       event.preventDefault();
      event.stopImmediatePropagation(); // it prevents the submit hit
});

Thank you for your feedback and comments.

> [...]
> > >
> > > One way to do it to use an event handler and on the backend return the
> > zone
> > > from the event handler. example
> > >
> > > <t:submit t:event="confirm"/>
> > >
> > > Object onConfirm() {
> > >     return yourZone;
> > > }
> > >
> > > The other more recommended way if it's just a simple confirm box is to
> > use
> > > the confirm mixin. This will prevent the loop to the backend and just
> do
> > > everything in the UI via javascript.
> > >
> > > <t:submit t:mixins="confirm" message="some message" title="some
> title"/>
> > >

> https://github.com/apache/tapestry-5/blob/5.4-beta-22/tapestry-core/src/main/java/org/apache/tapestry5/corelib/mixins/Confirm.java
> > >
> > > On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 7:28 PM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <

Re: prevent ajax form submit

iberck
Any last question:

Have you ALWAYS wrap an ajax form inside a zone like below?

<t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
<t:form t:id='form1' t:zone="^">
    <t:submit value="send"/>
</t:form>
</t:zone>

In my first example the form isn't wrapped but it works fine. I wonder if
it is correct:
<t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='zone1'>
    <t:submit value="send"/>
</t:form>

<t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
</t:zone>

Thanks in advance

> [...]
>> >                     return false;
>> >                 });
>> >             });
>> >         </script>
>> >     </head>
>> >
>> >     <t:zone t:id="zone1" id="zone1">
>> >             <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone='^'>
>> >             <t:submit value="enviar"/>
>> >         </t:form>
>> >     </t:zone>
>> >
>> >     <t:zone t:id='zone2' id='zone2'>
>> >     </t:zone>
>> >
>> > .java
>> > @Inject
>> >     private AjaxResponseRenderer ajaxResponseRenderer;
>> >     @InjectComponent
>> >     private Zone zone2;
>> >
>> >     void onSelected() {
>> >         ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone2);
>> >     }
>> >

>> > But the effect is the same, the ajax post is sent to server. Anyone can
>> > help me how can I stop the ajax form submit?

Re: prevent ajax form submit

Akshay
Hi Carlos,

Ah is just see that i just missed adding the following code :-
 ajaxResponseRenderer.addRender(zone1).addRender(zone2);
This will work for sure :)

Answer for your question:

Yes we have to bind the form under the zone if you want it to be ajax:
Taken from Tapestry doc:- the zone parameter will cause the form submission
to be handled as an Ajax request that updates the indicated zone. Often a
Form will update the same zone that contains it.

Just remove the javascript that you use , as tapestry provides you with an
inbuilt solution as above. You donot specifically need to do
 event.preventDefault();

Try it out.

Regards
Akshay

Cheers!!
Akshay

Re: prevent ajax form submit

George Christman
Yes, you always wrap an ajax form with a zone and akshay is correct, you
need to return multiple zones as he showed you. Sorry, I missed that.
Unless your doing some sort of backend processing where you need to load
some data within your second zone from the backend, I would avoid the round
trip to the app server and just use the confirm mixin. If your using
tapestry-jquery they already provide you with the mixin, so no js needed.

--
George Christman
CEO
P.O. Box 735
Johnstown, New York

Re: prevent ajax form submit

Chris Poulsen
In 5.4 you can also use the async flag on the form (instead of wrapping in
a zone)

--
Chris

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM, George Christman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > Form will update the same zone that contains it.
> >
> > Just remove the javascript that you use , as tapestry provides you with
> an
> > inbuilt solution as above. You donot specifically need to do
> >  event.preventDefault();
> >

> > Try it out.
> >
> > Regards
> > Akshay
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Carlos Gómez Montiel <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Any last question:
> > >
> > > Have you ALWAYS wrap an ajax form inside a zone like below?
> > >
> > > <t:zone t:id='zone1' id='zone1'>
> > > <t:form t:id='form1' t:zone="^">
> > >     <t:submit value="send"/>
> > > </t:form>
> > > </t:zone>
> > >
> > > In my first example the form isn't wrapped but it works fine. I wonder

Re: prevent ajax form submit

George Christman
Chris I wasn't aware of this :) What is the sync flag?

--
George Christman
CEO
P.O. Box 735